Fermented feeding

Dishens

Songster
May 19, 2019
CT
FEED FERMENTERS, what is your typical feeding routine? Fermented once a day with unfermented available? Fermented twice a day? Do you see a decrease in total feed consumption with fermenting? Thanks!

I give my 8 chickens both dry feed, and wet (which ferments over the next few hours) in dog bowls. They eat less of the dry. Is there a decrease in consumption? I hope not, that would not be a goal to pursue. I don't ferment it longer than that in the summer as it gets too 'sharp' and then they don't seem to like it.

Like @rosemarythyme, I feed both fermented and dry pellets. The girls definitely prefer the fermented. It does cut down somewhat on overall feed bills and more importantly improves the nutrition of the feed. It is very easy and I recommend you try it.

Here is a link with everything you could want to know about fermented feeds https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

PS- @SueT- I'm afraid that a few hours of wet feed is not really fermented. Bacteria take time to grow, multiply and start to break down the grain. You have basically wet feed which won't hurt anything, but have minimal benefit. Please read the FAQ link above.

Like @rosemarythyme, I feed both fermented and dry pellets. The girls definitely prefer the fermented. It does cut down somewhat on overall feed bills and more importantly improves the nutrition of the feed. It is very easy and I recommend you try it.

Here is a link with everything you could want to know about fermented feeds https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

PS- @SueT- I'm afraid that a few hours of wet feed is not really fermented. Bacteria take time to grow, multiply and start to break down the grain. You have basically wet feed which won't hurt anything, but have minimal benefit. Please read the FAQ link above.
I disagree, it's noticeably fermented on hot days over 90ºF after about 5 hours. Develops a lovely yeasty fermented smell. I wet it in the morning w water plus ACV. If I leave it overnight, it gets quite sharp. I am talking about Purina Flock raiser crumbles. Whole raw grains would take longer. In winter my mix takes longer.
I also make my own kombucha, and sometimes add that instead of ACV. Having made kombucha for years, I do understand what fermentation is. I too, was surprised the first summer how fast the feed fermented.

I disagree, it's noticeably fermented on hot days over 90ºF after about 5 hours. Develops a lovely yeasty fermented smell. I wet it in the morning w water plus ACV. If I leave it overnight, it gets quite sharp. I am talking about Purina Flock raiser crumbles. Whole raw grains would take longer. In winter my mix takes longer.
I also make my own kombucha, and sometimes add that instead of ACV.

Interesting. I know that higher temperatures accelerate the process, but that still seems extreme. Is the ACV unfiltered (with culture) to help the process get started faster?

Probably won't matter unless there is a price difference, but crumbles are no different from pellets for fermented feed. My pellets break down in about a minute when water is added.

They definitely prefer the fermented to non, up to a point when it sours too much for them (probably gets too acidic). In winter I set the bucket by the back door where it stays pretty well a constant 70 degrees, and it keeps for a couple weeks. Hot weather, it can sour too much in a couple days. I bust up a 50lb bag into four lidded five gallon buckets, fill 1 with water about 6 inches above, skim off anything floating and feed it with that days feed. I do 1 day in shady cool spot in summer, winter bigger batches. It does seem to cut down overall consumption, not dramatic, but I do think they digest it better. Especially if your chickens have a small run, as long as you keep it covered with water (anaerobic), I couldn't see the probiotics and lactic acid hurting. **Edit, I pour about a quart of "starter" from the previous batch.

I, too, feed fermented feed in the morning and keep dry pellets available all the time. My flocks goes crazy every morning over the fermented feed! Here’s my process: I keep 3 jars of fees on my counter. Each day, I rotate the jars...i.e. I feed the fermented food from the first jar, refill it with feed, and put it at the end of the line so each jar has a full 3 days to ferment. I reuse the same liquid over and over, adding spring water if needed to cover. This ensures that I have an endless supply of fermented feed for my gals & guys:)

Are you using grains or pellets?
I, too, feed fermented feed in the morning and keep dry pellets available all the time. My flocks goes crazy every morning over the fermented feed! Here’s my process: I keep 3 jars of fees on my counter. Each day, I rotate the jars...i.e. I feed the fermented food from the first jar, refill it with feed, and put it at the end of the line so each jar has a full 3 days to ferment. I reuse the same liquid over and over, adding spring water if needed to cover. This ensures that I have an endless supply of fermented feed for my gals & guys:)
Are you using a whole grain feed or pellets?

Back
Top Bottom