FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Pics
Thank you Bee*

That is wonderful information that I should have put together from knowledge I have about human growth and development. Not sure why I didn't put it together because you phrased it so simply that I smack my forehead and say "but of course!".
he.gif

Thank you for reiterating and clarifying! We have tons of clover, and they get tons more

Of course exercise makes bones! That's why we have perches and things: to imitate their natural habitat as much as possible, so that the chickens get exercise, and stay healthy - just like people!!!

No exercise, bad diet = weak bones...

Does FF help with feather regrowth. We have one that has been bald on her back for months now ,she's the only one like that .I believe it was the roo that we no longer have . He's been gone for several months now, checked for mites ,lice, have a dust bath, now we have another young roo that is starting to sew his wild oats I'm afraid she'll never fill back in.

It can...but you shouldn't have a perpetually bald hen if the ratio is correct or if the hen has normal, good feathering capabilities. If you have too few hens to the rooster, you might either need to get rid of your rooster or increase the number of hens. If you have the correct ratio and this is the only bird with a bare back, cull her. She's the problem and not the ratio of roo to hen.

Years ago I had good ratio but all the BOs I had were showing excessive rooster wear on their backs...upon watching, I discovered the BOs were squatting each time the rooster even glanced in their direction from across the pasture. None of my other birds had any wear or feathers off their backs, so I concluded it was just these birds that had to be culled and not the rooster.

I'm glad I did...they were horribly fat(meaning, they were eating more than the rest of the flock), were not laying as well as the other birds, and their skin looked so tender and raw.... and it took care of the problem.

A bald bird is susceptible to injury, pestilence, sunburn and infection...all bad situations for a bird and not something anyone should put a chicken through for long. It's uncomfortable to them...imagine your head being used by feet with claws so often that your hair is pulled out, then your bare skin is left open to the sun, biting insects, and more clawing each and every day. In all seasons..no protection from the elements and constantly being trampled upon by dirty feet with sharp toenails. Cold in the winter, hot in the summer, wet when it rains and snows...no relief in sight.

Wow ,did you see my flock via google earth ? That is her to a T. BO , easy cheep date, and it's straight now but when she was a chick her beak was a little crossed. ( she's not the brightest bulb on the tree)
Good to know ,thank you .

Wow ,did you see my flock via google earth ? That is her to a T. BO , easy cheep date, and it's straight now but when she was a chick her beak was a little crossed. ( she's not the brightest bulb on the tree)
Good to know ,thank you .

lol.png
No...but I've been around the barnyard a time or two, is all. And..I'm observant! My Mom calls that "nosy"...
gig.gif

I need help! As soon as I decided I wanted to raise chickens, I began researching. I've been lurking and visiting BYC since early 2012 and finally joined in early 2013 but I just got my first chickens this past Sunday. A friend was planning on reducing the older birds in her flock to make room for younger layers (she sells her eggs as a business) and asked me if I wanted to adopt them as my first go round in chicken keeping. I jumped at the chance since I wasn't at all certain I wanted to deal with babies. I have read several of the threads on here about FF and the benefits to the flock and I think I'd like to try it but I'm a bit nervous about screwing something up or doing harm to the chickens. I inherited 6 RIRs, a BO and a mutt (she's part game hen but not sure what else). There will be more chickens coming to me in the next few months as they "age off" from her flock. The girls I currently have are still a bit confused since moving to their new home - not sure what the pop door is since they didn't have one at their previous home, haven't figured out the nest boxes yet (again, different from what they are used to) and still quite a bit unsure about me. I don't want to cause them any further distress by switching food on them but I definitely think they could benefit from FF. How should I go about making this switch and can I use the layer feed I just bought for them at TSC? I got a 50# bag of the DuMor and have made a feeder out of PVC pipe that is gravity fed. Can I just pour some water and ACV over the DuMor in a plastic bucket or is there a lot more to it? I also purchased a bag of BOSS to give as treats...should I add that in as well? Any advice is very welcome. I'm as nervous as a new parent -- because in a very real sense, that's exactly what I am... a new chicken mom.

Quote:
You can switch right to FF and they will adapt quickly. You won't be able to use your gravity fed PVC feeder with the FF...maybe if it has a trough portion it can still be used but you can't really place the FF in the reservoir.

The feed you are using can be used for FF...nearly any chicken feed can be, though some report bad smells if it contains fish meal. If the ACV is unpasteurized, unfiltered and contains the mother culture..sure, you can use some in the mix. Some do, some do not. After you combine your feed, water and acv, you need to stir it well and stir it well each time you feed out of it. Don't feed it until you see signs of fermentation....bubbling of the mix, bubbling and foaming when you stir, smell a faint sour smell which will deepen and get decidedly less "faint" as the mixture ferments more, the feed will rise as it absorbs and ferments..almost like a bread dough. Sometimes you will see a skim of white, grey or beige film on top and this is normal...just stir it in, feed it out.

When the feed in your bucket gets down to 1/8 of a bucket, add more feed and fresh water and stir it well...wait overnight before feeding out of the bucket..by then it should be starting a good ferment in this kind of weather. If not fermented, don't feed it in this hot weather...hot,wet feed that isn't fermented can grow some bad bacteria real quick and in a hurry, so make sure it's smelling and looking fermented before feeding it.

Quote:
You can switch right to FF and they will adapt quickly. You won't be able to use your gravity fed PVC feeder with the FF...maybe if it has a trough portion it can still be used but you can't really place the FF in the reservoir.

The feed you are using can be used for FF...nearly any chicken feed can be, though some report bad smells if it contains fish meal. If the ACV is unpasteurized, unfiltered and contains the mother culture..sure, you can use some in the mix. Some do, some do not. After you combine your feed, water and acv, you need to stir it well and stir it well each time you feed out of it. Don't feed it until you see signs of fermentation....bubbling of the mix, bubbling and foaming when you stir, smell a faint sour smell which will deepen and get decidedly less "faint" as the mixture ferments more, the feed will rise as it absorbs and ferments..almost like a bread dough. Sometimes you will see a skim of white, grey or beige film on top and this is normal...just stir it in, feed it out.

When the feed in your bucket gets down to 1/8 of a bucket, add more feed and fresh water and stir it well...wait overnight before feeding out of the bucket..by then it should be starting a good ferment in this kind of weather. If not fermented, don't feed it in this hot weather...hot,wet feed that isn't fermented can grow some bad bacteria real quick and in a hurry, so make sure it's smelling and looking fermented before feeding it.

Thanks! I may have to figure out something to use for the FF. Possibly a piece of plastic gutter material would work.

Several people have made nice feeders out of gutter.
Raising chickens is easy so don't "scare" yourself too much! ;)
There can be & probably will be problems along the way but don't stress out too much in advance.
When you do have a problem or questions this is a good forum for getting help.
Chickens are usually quite adaptable and will provide you with years of a fascinating hobby. Enjoy!

Jeanette

Thanks! I may have to figure out something to use for the FF. Possibly a piece of plastic gutter material would work.

Bee* you suggest not feeding from the pail as it begins fermenting. Why is this? Soaked feed is supposed to be better than dry feed, and that is what is in the bucket to begin with. As the fermenting process begins, there will be more and more fermentation that goes on until the feed ferments really well. Would not that first couple days allow the chickens to get used to the new taste of the feed - mild at first then stronger? I would think (I could be wrong), that as long as you make sure that it isn't moldy using a thorough sniff test, that it would be fine to feed from your 'starter' FF, and giving a good mix morning and evening.

As I said, I'm new to this stufff, but that's the logic I used and so far my chooks are chuffed about teh FF! Maybe I was just lucky!

Back
Top Bottom