FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Beekissed, Mar 30, 2012.

1. chickengirl1193

chickengirl1193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    Right now we are under 3 ft of snow so the only forage is the deep litter and kitchen scraps. They get a.lot every day and they are digging many holes in the litter and eating a lot of it! Most of it is hay pellets that the goats dropped that are starting to break down under the bedding. I also give them sprouts. Idk what else I can do for them when I can barely wade through the snow to feed them!
    This may not be the place to ask, but would a ruminant benefit from fermenting feed or would it be redundant because fermentation happens in the rumen anyway?

1 person likes this.
  2. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    I'm offering FF all day...they eat, forage,eat and when I get home I offer a treat like left over meat or a green of some sort. Usually fresh spinach, kale or cooked brocoli. Forage is pretty slim pickens in north Idaho this time of year. ;-D

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I think they would benefit if they were having health issues, particularly digestive issues. Sometimes they need a reculture of the rumen in times when they've had to take antibiotics.

The bolus I gave my sheep for a regular spring tonic and parasite preventative was mother vinegar/raw honey/garlic juice. I found it sure could revive a weak lamb real quick and in a hurry and cause a quick weight gain after the dose.

4. chickengirl1193

chickengirl1193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    Oh okay so feed could be fermented in place of giving a probiotic when on antibiotics.
    Thanks for the info! I dont wanna stray from chicken talk but it was something I was thinking about today when I was explaining the benefits of fermenting feed to my mom ;)
    My mom calls my ff mush or "good chicken mommy feed"

1 person likes this.
  5. kile529

kile529 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2011
    Okay, so I brought some chick feed in to ferment. I want to make sure I do this right - not fully clear on how much water to use. I don't have any ACV with the mother, so it's just water in the bucket for me. Should I mix it to the consistency of grout? Starting to get nervous - my chicks will hatch on Sunday and I feel like I should have started this sooner.

1 person likes this.
  6. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    Start by covering in about 2 inches of water...leave space for it to expand! After a day or so you can add more feed to make it consistency you like.. no worries.

1 person likes this.
  7. kile529

kile529 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2011
    Thanks! Just mixed it up! Wish me luck! :) lol

8. Faerie

Faerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I made mine up 2 days before I picked up my chicks and it worked out fine. If it ends up seeming too watery, just add a bit more chick feed. My chicks are 2 weeks old now, and just love it!!

1 person likes this.
  9. roostereggs

roostereggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    Good idea! I am hatching on Fri/Sat so I should get some started tomorrow. Or I suppose I could just pull some from my 8 week chicks tub each day!

10. kpgoldstar

kpgoldstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2013
    West Coast of Arizona
    You are totally fine on the timing. My girls have been on strictly non-medicated chick starter and water ff since they were in my care at 2 weeks. As been said before, use enough water to cover your initial batch with about 2 inches. The feed will totally absorb the water. Try to stir 2-4 times a day. There will be water trapped under the top layer of feed, then feed under the middle water. If after a day or so it is super dry, add a bit of water. It all depends where you live, how dry the feed is to start with, how much humidity is in your environment. 3 days in, you should start to smell some sour and see a few bubbles coming up through the feed.

As you get closer to your chicks hatching you can play with the moisture content whether you want yours a little more dry so you don't have to strain before serving or a little more wet to keep it together and be sure your chicks are well hydrated. How many chicks do you think you will have? That will determine how large of a batch you make.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by