FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I was thinking that too. My kids would have eaten nothing but candy if I had let them. Amazing what an empty stomach will do for making them more open minded about other foods...
Never a good idea to presume to know what is best for someone else's birds.

If you read thread you will see my birds have access to both ff and crumbles,some of my birds love it,others do not. This has nothing to do with "making them more open minded about other foods"but rather i am ensuring that they are eating,whether it is ff or crumbles,their choice.

Bottom line is,my silkies do not like ff and i would never force them to eat it.

So maybe they come back in when the other girls leave and I just dont notice? Ive seen all 4 eat at once tho with no problems, and thats why I only offer one feeding through.

Yes...that's what is happening. If they are maintaining good conditioning and laying well, you can bet they are eating when you are not watching.

I'm not presuming anything and won't argue. Just making a statement. You feed yours how you see fit and I will feed mine the way I see fit. I don't let my animals choose what they will eat and not eat. I have never seen a chicken yet that will starve rather than eat what is offered. Have a great day.

Yep. A chicken will not sit there and starve in the face of available food. Folks want to personify chickens by what they would prefer and most humans prefer a buffet style diet. I'm thinking if a person wanted that kind of diet for their chickens they would provide more than two choices..dry or fermented. They would open up the buffet of free range forage and in the winter, when that was not available they would plant foraging frames for winter use, grow bugs for winter use, and even worms. If one is going to feed according to the whims of the chicken, why stop at two choices?

Yes,i have seen chickens malnourished b/c of this kind of thinking.

How is it "personifying chickens",b/c they have the choice of ff or dry feed,i am ensuring that they stay healthy. You are right Beekissed, I can "indulge the whims of my chickens" and i do it all the time.

Last edited:
That's nice!
smile.png
I do it too... I just let the pop door stay open at all times.

Back
Top Bottom