FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Beekissed, Mar 30, 2012.

1. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Each to their own!

2. Audio51

Audio51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2012
    Paradise, California
    I was thinking that too. My kids would have eaten nothing but candy if I had let them. Amazing what an empty stomach will do for making them more open minded about other foods...

1 person likes this.
  3. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Never a good idea to presume to know what is best for someone else's birds.

If you read thread you will see my birds have access to both ff and crumbles,some of my birds love it,others do not. This has nothing to do with "making them more open minded about other foods"but rather i am ensuring that they are eating,whether it is ff or crumbles,their choice.

Bottom line is,my silkies do not like ff and i would never force them to eat it.

4. Audio51

Jul 16, 2012
    Paradise, California

1 person likes this.
  5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Yes...that's what is happening. If they are maintaining good conditioning and laying well, you can bet they are eating when you are not watching.

Yep. A chicken will not sit there and starve in the face of available food. Folks want to personify chickens by what they would prefer and most humans prefer a buffet style diet. I'm thinking if a person wanted that kind of diet for their chickens they would provide more than two choices..dry or fermented. They would open up the buffet of free range forage and in the winter, when that was not available they would plant foraging frames for winter use, grow bugs for winter use, and even worms. If one is going to feed according to the whims of the chicken, why stop at two choices?

1 person likes this.
  6. chickengirl1193

chickengirl1193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    They ate it all by night time :) and im guessing when egg production drops off is when I should worry but im.getting 4 big eggs daily from 4 birds lol :)

7. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Yes,i have seen chickens malnourished b/c of this kind of thinking.

How is it "personifying chickens",b/c they have the choice of ff or dry feed,i am ensuring that they stay healthy. You are right Beekissed, I can "indulge the whims of my chickens" and i do it all the time.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  8. Audio51

Jul 16, 2012
    Paradise, California

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

That's nice! [​IMG] I do it too... I just let the pop door stay open at all times.

10. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    X2[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by