FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Beekissed, Mar 30, 2012.

1. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Excellent point, as does sprouting of seeds/grains.

The sludge is normal and IMO one of the benefits. With dry feed, one ends up with a lot of fines the chickens don't eat. Thinking about the manufacturing process where grain is ground, essential nutrients and binders added then mixed, those fines contain many of the added trace minerals and vitamins to create a balanced feed. By the fines being suspended in the 'sludge', the chickens will eat most of it.

There must be a place in the shade next to the house or create an area covered with shade cloth.

2. Audio51

Audio51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2012
    Paradise, California

3. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I've been using 2, 5 gallon buckets (one to ferment and one to feed from) plus an 8 quart stainless pot for chicks. I've outgrown both systems. The chicks (on FF) are 7 weeks and going through the pot in 3 days. The flocks are going through a 5 gal. bucket in 2 days - or will easily do so when the temperature stays above freezing.

Current plan is for 3 5 gallon buckets for adults and one for chicks. That may not be enough when I switch all 33 chicks to FF. That will give me over 60 grown/growing birds.

4. LeslieDJoyce

LeslieDJoyce Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Sherwood, OR
    My Coop
    Yes ... the studies I've seen talked about that, and it is a BIG DEAL when feeding vegetable proteins to omnivores.

And the hormone imbalances of legumes ... The Feeding Poultry book warns against relying solely on soy protein for breeding stock because of the hormone issues that result. That said, I know that traditionally fermented soy is not as worrisome when it comes to hormones ... so I'm eager to find a study that quantifies that for fermenting soy-based poultry feeds.

5. skitzkle

skitzkle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Havelock, NC
    I use a trash can and a boat paddle to stir it! Especially when it is cold and it can take a while to ferment. I mix layer feed and scratch grains. I keep it mashed potato consistency and just scoop the slop out daily and fill their feeding trough every morning.

6. roostereggs

roostereggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    I was wondering if I should still feed dry once every few weeks so they are used to it in case we go out of town for the weekend?

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

They won't have to transition, just keep plenty of fresh water so they can wash it down. I've switched mine over in a pinch and they had no problems.

8. chickengirl1193

chickengirl1193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    Ive switched completely to ff and I bring it out every morning and 2 of my girls gobble up as much as they want and.the other two only eat a bit and then proceed to the deep litter in the goat shed. Is there something I can do to get alll my girls to eat it? Its fermenting well and is a good consistency... I dont think they are losing weight, I weighed thrm about a month ago,before the ff, and im going to weigh them soon to compare. But im still getting an egg a day from each chicken and they are acting normal, no red flags

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm thinking what you describe is pecking order. The higher ranked birds eat first.

10. chickengirl1193

chickengirl1193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    So maybe they come back in when the other girls leave and I just dont notice? Ive seen all 4 eat at once tho with no problems, and thats why I only offer one feeding through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by