FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Beekissed, Mar 30, 2012.

1. chickengirl1193

chickengirl1193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    I just feed my chicks in a small dog bowl and I keep it away from the light. They dont get more food until they finish what they have and they finish about 2 bowls a day, about 4 cups for 8 chicks and they are doing great!

2. luvblues7

luvblues7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    Elmore City, Oklahoma
    Wow. Great ideas. Thanks to all of you. I'm so glad I found this thread. Y'all have been very helpful and friendly.

3. kpgoldstar

kpgoldstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2013
    West Coast of Arizona
    I fed in small Tupperware containers, the ones that only hold about 1/2 cup, really shallow. I only had 4 though and I only fed enough that they could finish in about an hour so they didn't really have the opportunity to walk in it and pack it down.

Update! First egg last Thursday, second egg Monday, third egg Wednesday and TAAADAAA!!! We got TWO, count 'em, TWO eggs today! Yippee, that means I have 2 girls laying. One was obviously from the first hen, and the new one was much smaller and a different color, so pretty! I am on my way to daily eggs!! So excited!

2 people like this.
  4. niqueie

niqueie Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so excited for you and the 2 layers. We just started getting eggs from our chickens too. It's so fun to go and see what you'll find each day. I got our first brown egg today. I have a few Easter eggers laying already. Congratulations!!!

5. luvblues7

luvblues7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    Elmore City, Oklahoma
    Wahooo[​IMG]
    Congrats on the eggs!

6. beverly evans

beverly evans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hi, I use round concrete pavers to lift the feed up off the ground and put it in a dog food bowl with slanting sides. They don't fling it out or climb in it (much). Being babies everything higher is better. It will pass. : )

7. beverly evans

beverly evans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013

8. kile529

kile529 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

I'm guessing these are the bubbles I'm supposed to see?!? I will need to make it thicker so all I do is add more feed, right? Chicks are supposed to hatch on Sunday and we just heard our first one pipping!! :) Just want to make sure I have their food all set. :)

9. kpgoldstar

kpgoldstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2013
    West Coast of Arizona
    Yep! Looking good! Keep adding feed a little at a time since it will absorb the water that is there. Don't mix to mortar just yet, let it get to that consistency by soaking up the water a little at a time. You don't want to overload your brand new ferment with dry unfermented feed. Does it have a nice pickle smell?

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    IME, it doesn't get that pickle smell for several days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by