FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

it's been suggested that boiling for any period of time does not kill yeast.

Huh, that's a new one to me. I'm not saying it's not true, but I've never heard of that before. If that were true, then the boiling-water bath canning method would result in jars with pushed out lids and a loss of vacuum...because the yeasts produce CO2, a gas. Can you point to where you read this?

If applied sensibly, any number of the "extras" can be used in any specific situation to make things go more smoothly or be easier or produce better results ... if things aren't going smoothly, etc. It's nice to have access to other people's tips and tricks ... as long as it doesn't obscure the basics.

The Basics: feed + water + time.

We say that and then people find trouble with the containers ...

But start out too complicated and you might have trouble figuring out which direction to tweak in to make the process better for yourself & the birds.

I think that is wonderful logic. My first batch of sauerkraut was made with cabbage only. No salt, no water, no brine, just shredded and pounded cabbage to release juices. It turned out great! I've since added salt to our kraut batches because it improves the flavor so much.

:love    :hugs   I was having flashbacks of the feller who not only washed his hatching eggs with bleach and swore by it, but who was arguing with me about the bloom/cuticle. He actually said it was rooster juice.  :lau Oh my stars. I am still laughing about that one. Bless his heart, he stuck to his guns, even after I quoted and gave him the links that showed the sciency folks had studied it and determined it was protein. Boy juice.......  :lau  

Rooster juice on his eggs. Maybe he should teach his rooster to stop screwing with the eggs.

Holy crap, that was funny.

Ah, that's ok. They don't even like the dry stuff. I asked about the brand several post's back and didn't get a response. They eat it ( I think) or they are just scratching it around the coop. I free range them most days so I know they're getting plenty. They get cracked corn and scratch as well and veggie house scraps. I'll give it a bit longer and see. They are nice and fat and the younger ones are growing well. No one is sick, (even my sick one got well after I forced fluids and yogurt down her).
I never gave anything but FF until they were at least 5 weeks old and then it was just some kitchen scraps like apples. They didn't get scratch until 4 months.

Oh, I don't use the scratch as a regular diet. It's only a treat and to help me get them back in the run. I have oyster shell out, too. I am trying another brand this time. Maybe I'll try ff again and I have about fed up all the kitchen scraps that I had saved up and frozen, so I'm sure that will help also. Thanks so much for caring....
Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had chicks?

Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had chicks?

I have adults, teenagers, and chicks who are 7 weeks old. The "teenagers" are just now starting to lay. The chicks are almost fully integrated into the flock and are beginning to free range. We have a small acreage on which they free range most days, all day. My neighbors dogs where chasing them today so I know that I can't leave them alone.

Last edited:
... All these little complicated routines, treats, feed mixes, bugs, worms, vitamin waters, etc. drive me insane and they DO get passed on as fact. It's like when kids at camp sat in a circle and whispered something in someone's ear and by the time it came around the full circle it was entirely inaccurate to the truth. Same with this FF....with the water over the feed, lid on tight, [lid off] glass or ceramic containers because the buckets may leach, adding fresh feed every day or each time you feed, adding ACV each time you refresh, strainers, bumbeezles,
flamboozles and a ting tang doozle...pretty soon I feel like it all started in Hooville .... LAB fermentation starters...when it's all going to be LAB fermentation in the end anyway, cheesecloth over the bucket when a lid popped down on one side is sufficient, stirring X number of times a day or it won't stay healthy, etc..... It grates on my everliving, loving nerves when folks complicate things unnecessarily.... It's fine if folks want to feel like they are working harder and spending more on their chickens than the next person, but there's no need to tout such things all over the net as something recommended for keeping chickens healthier or "happier".

Actually, pasteurization is not boiling....

Go back and read my post I never said that pasteurization involved boiling, that is your contention. I have already covered all of the objections to your contention that only boiling is pasteurization. Heck, I have had fevers higher than the body temperatures you now are mentioning as being scalding hot.

But to recap once more, this link involves EIGHT (8) methods of pasteurization currently used for milk. Since no one seems to want to discuss the topic which is the true sterilizing effects hot water has on grains, lets talk about milk.

The 8 temperature ranges for pasteurizing milk ranges anywhere from 68C (145F) to 138C (280F)
and the times the milk is held at these various temperatures ranges anywhere from 30 minutes to 0.01 seconds.
This is what I said without getting into the scientific aspect of pasteurization of cows milk.

My proof.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pasteurization-methods-temperatures-d_1642.html

I encourage you to ask your husband if this is correct and if it is not correct please post the truth.

Quote: Yes, it goes on and on ad nauseum. I use my own good judgement for my style of animal husbandry and it has always served me well.
he.gif

Quote:
lau.gif
gig.gif
lol.png
lau.gif

I'm sorry, but that's just funny all day long! I'll probably still be chuckling over that one tomorrow and the next day.....ask your husband??????? ...like only a man would know the facts and the truth on anything?
lau.gif
lau.gif
I think I just peed down my leg....

Back
Top Bottom