FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Will wait for Beekissed's answer but tell us what else you did to treat her?

Withheld feed, offered clean water, Epsom salt flush, and yogurt. I've read conflicting info on ACV and garlic so I haven't done either of those. Her crop is almost back to normal but she got loose today and is back with the flock, so I was wondering about the feed.

Quote: It does, by at lest 50%. Not only are you adding the volume of water but the feed itself swells.(at least commercial feed and grain does). Since the water itself adds no nutritional value the amount of feed is usually measured dry, before the water is stirred in. The fermenting is what frees and adds nutrients to the mix.

@Beekissed , quick question: would the beneficial bacteria in the fermented feed be helpful in a hen with sour crop? I've got a hen who is almost over her bout but I'm not sure the fermented feed would be beneficial to feed her right now...
I think I would go with plain yogurt mixed with probiotics.

I've been feeding just layer (Home Grown) since the feed store has been out of Flock Raiser for couple of weeks.  Finally came in so started mixing the Layer with FR (50/50) which they got fed yesterday.  In the morning they weren't very enthusiastic about it but ate (it was chilly).  They didn't finish their evening feeding, left back about a cup.  This morning the same thing but hand feeding (the FF was icy) they ate.

So is it the change in feed or the chilly food?  Is it ok to warm up the FF, stove or micro ok?  It's been CHILLY (don't laugh 55 - 58) in the mornings!

I'm outside of Phoenix. I know what you mean! We've been to 40s with the past few weeks low 30s. That's freezing cold for the desert. Mine just do the I'm starving all the time, but don't eat it all right up. So I leave it for them to peck at til next time.

We have started fermenting feed for our layer flock. I noticed that they are not eating as much as they were when we started the fermented feeds weeks ago. Is this normal?

Back
Top Bottom