FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Yay... someone contacted me by PM with questions about fermenting... after a couple of weeks, we have a convert!!
wee.gif

I've been feeding just layer (Home Grown) since the feed store has been out of Flock Raiser for couple of weeks. Finally came in so started mixing the Layer with FR (50/50) which they got fed yesterday. In the morning they weren't very enthusiastic about it but ate (it was chilly). They didn't finish their evening feeding, left back about a cup. This morning the same thing but hand feeding (the FF was icy) they ate.

So is it the change in feed or the chilly food? Is it ok to warm up the FF, stove or micro ok? It's been CHILLY (don't laugh 55 - 58) in the mornings!

I've been feeding just layer (Home Grown) since the feed store has been out of Flock Raiser for couple of weeks. Finally came in so started mixing the Layer with FR (50/50) which they got fed yesterday. In the morning they weren't very enthusiastic about it but ate (it was chilly). They didn't finish their evening feeding, left back about a cup. This morning the same thing but hand feeding (the FF was icy) they ate.

So is it the change in feed or the chilly food? Is it ok to warm up the FF, stove or micro ok? It's been CHILLY (don't laugh 55 - 58) in the mornings!

lau.gif
I'm sorry......I can't HELP it!!!!!
gig.gif
We are running around in shorts and Tshirts in that warm of weather and the chickens are sunbathing at those temps. It's in the 30s here today, raining and snowing all day long and my flock have been out foraging in it all day and all over 3 acres, looking like drowned rats all day long.

I feed the same thing always and have done so for years, but I still experience frequent fluctuations in the amounts they will consume in a day...usually according to the temps, how much they are finding out on forage, etc. It could be any of those factors but I wouldn't worry about it being the cold FF...if they are hungry, they will eat it cold or warmed. If not, it won't matter if you warm it up for them, they may still leave some behind on any given day.

Room temp is good enough, though some report they warm in the microwave.

I did used to warm it in the microwave but one concern was that the probiotics might not do well under heat, the other was that compared to 15F outside, inside room temp FF probably was nice and warm enough. It is always completely eaten regardless.

Found a jar of (the good kind) sauerkraut leavings in fridge today, added that to the alfalfa jar and FF jar. It started to bubble over onto the counter!
roll.png

Ferment out of control
gig.gif

lau.gif
I'm sorry......I can't HELP it!!!!!
gig.gif
We are running around in shorts and Tshirts in that warm of weather and the chickens are sunbathing at those temps. It's in the 30s here today, raining and snowing all day long and my flock have been out foraging in it all day and all over 3 acres, looking like drowned rats all day long.

I feed the same thing always and have done so for years, but I still experience frequent fluctuations in the amounts they will consume in a day...usually according to the temps, how much they are finding out on forage, etc. It could be any of those factors but I wouldn't worry about it being the cold FF...if they are hungry, they will eat it cold or warmed. If not, it won't matter if you warm it up for them, they may still leave some behind on any given day.

Room temp is good enough, though some report they warm in the microwave.
thumbsup.gif
Thought you all would have a good laugh! Yea, they've done this to me before so assuming it's "just the chill" in the air.

I did used to warm it in the microwave but one concern was that the probiotics might not do well under heat, the other was that compared to 15F outside, inside room temp FF probably was nice and warm enough. It is always completely eaten regardless.

Found a jar of (the good kind) sauerkraut leavings in fridge today, added that to the alfalfa jar and FF jar. It started to bubble over onto the counter!
roll.png

Ferment out of control
gig.gif

My concern that warming (stove or micro) would change the probiotics. So guess they'll eat whatever they need as Beekissed has stated.

Concern was they've suddenly stopped laying but I'm "blaming" the chill, next week we got another cold front coming in. The temp is one thing but the humidity makes it even worst!

THANK YOU BOTH FOR YOUR INPUT!

Last edited:

I keep my fermented feed in the attached garage, but it has been too cold in the garage for the feed to ferment properly, so I have been bringing it into the house at night.

I start mine in the laundry room with warm water, then try to remember to bring a bucket up by the wood stove every day, so it gets a good head of steam going on it, and is warm when it goes outside.

Mine sits in an unheated pantry/mud room that gets a little warm air from the house~I keep the door to it slightly cracked~ but stays pretty much around 40-50 degrees on the best days but sinks into the 30s at night and lower in single digit weather. I still get a ferment but it's slow and light, which I don't mind too much...I just make large batches so it gets time to ferment very well throughout by the time it's all fed out.

@Beekissed, quick question: would the beneficial bacteria in the fermented feed be helpful in a hen with sour crop? I've got a hen who is almost over her bout but I'm not sure the fermented feed would be beneficial to feed her right now...

Mine sits in an unheated pantry/mud room that gets a little warm air from the house~I keep the door to it slightly cracked~ but stays pretty much around 40-50 degrees on the best days but sinks into the 30s at night and lower in single digit weather. I still get a ferment but it's slow and light, which I don't mind too much...I just make large batches so it gets time to ferment very well throughout by the time it's all fed out.

And I thought it was "too cold" here to leave mine out in the patio
roll.png
but I do notice the "bubbles" and my mealworms slow down when it gets cooler. Like your idea of making a bigger batch allowing for the slow down with cooler weather....thanks Beekissed.....I used to make a container full but having only 5 girls didn't want it going bad so started making day by day. BYC Members rule!

Back
Top Bottom