FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

We have started fermenting feed for our layer flock. I noticed that they are not eating as much as they were when we started the fermented feeds weeks ago. Is this normal?

Yes...and many have reported that same thing and almost the same time frame. It's almost as if they lacked valuable nutrients, were finally getting them, and when their bodies had enough of those their eating leveled off to an amount that would maintain that level. It sort of reaffirms that they weren't getting what they needed from the feed in the first place and fermenting it had finally released those nutrients, minerals and vitamins to a greater level.

Watch the size of your yolks for an increase in overall size...even the studies done on it in a commercial setting described an increased egg weight, but couldn't say why that was. I could visibly SEE the difference in the size, which was explanation enough for me why eggs got heavier on FF.

Here's a pic of one of my smallest eggs next to commercially grown eggs graded XL:

And here's one of our other members showing a before the FF and after the FF comparisons with her own eggs:

Last edited:
I know I'm preaching to the choir here... I neglected to add water to my last batch of dry feed to ferment, so late yesterday I just moistened the feed that I usually ferment and set it out for the girls. Holy cow, the stink when I went to scoop poop this morning about knocked me over!! I had forgotten what a difference there is.

And I ferment just using a big crock on my kitchen counter, usually only about 24 hours, very little mess and trouble. Soooo worth it!

I know I'm preaching to the choir here... I neglected to add water to my last batch of dry feed to ferment, so late yesterday I just moistened the feed that I usually ferment and set it out for the girls. Holy cow, the stink when I went to scoop poop this morning about knocked me over!! I had forgotten what a difference there is.

And I ferment just using a big crock on my kitchen counter, usually only about 24 hours, very little mess and trouble. Soooo worth it!
That was the convincing factor for me to stick with fermenting when I first started. The difference in smell was tremendous!
sickbyc.gif

What is your routine, @jennyf? Do you just scoop out the day's fermented food from the crock, add new dry food and some water and stir?

What is your routine, @jennyf? Do you just scoop out the day's fermented food from the crock, add new dry food and some water and stir?

Yep. I know it's not as long as some people do it, but it smells sour/beery. I use generally everything that's in the crock but I don't usually wash it out in between.

Yay... someone contacted me by PM with questions about fermenting... after a couple of weeks, we have a convert!!
wee.gif

that's great news!

I don't know if you rem but I have been feeding my girls FF since day one.
They are now almost 6 months old.
I use poop trays and clean the coop when needed.
Even my DH can't believe it doesn't stink...I swear it's because of their food.

Our friends feed their chickens the "regular" way and their whole yard stinks to high heaven!

We use it to feed our quail, geese, ducks, chickens, hogs, and chickens. We have multiple horse troughs that we use to ferment feeds we have one for soybeans, scratch, and then one with mixture of both. We have been doing this in the spring, summer, and fall for multiple years. We feed laying pellets in the winter and spread dry scratch on the ground. You do not want to change the water for the water in the trough is filled with good bacteria that helps ferment the seed faster. I think fermentation is a good method and is better for your poultry's digestion.

We use it to feed our quail, geese, ducks, chickens, hogs, and chickens. We have multiple horse troughs that we use to ferment feeds we have one for soybeans, scratch, and then one with mixture of both. We have been doing this in the spring, summer, and fall for multiple years. We feed laying pellets in the winter and spread dry scratch on the ground. You do not want to change the water for the water in the trough is filled with good bacteria that helps ferment the seed faster. I think fermentation is a good method and is better for your poultry's digestion.

your avatar pics is gorgeous

Back
Top Bottom