FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Washed barley seed $14 per 50#. In each of those trays above I use a cup of soaked barley seed (so for six chix 1/2 cup barley seed per day). It may last forever....just wanted to add...FF reduces our feed costs and so does fodder and salad bars...and it is all good if your chickens have a "scorched earth policy". It is spring so time for more fun projects!

I just added some birdseed to the salad bars and tomorrow will add some soaked barley seed...who knows what might happen? Lol it all good.

I don't mean to hijack thread...I am simply making suggestions for a well-rounded feeding program that I think fits with FF.

Oh and BTW they JUMP for the barley fodder...

Last edited:
Chickens ate their FF. Question about consistency...I had to scoop it out of the jar with a spoon. Too thick?

Last edited:
Washed barley seed $14 per 50#. In each of those trays above I use a cup of soaked barley seed (so for six chix 1/2 cup barley seed per day). It may last forever....just wanted to add...FF reduces our feed costs and so does fodder and salad bars...and it is all good if your chickens have a "scorched earth policy". It is spring so time for more fun projects!

I just added some birdseed to the salad bars and tomorrow will add some soaked barley seed...who knows what might happen? Lol it all good.

I don't mean to hijack thread...I am simply making suggestions for a well-rounded feeding program that I think fits with FF.

Oh and BTW they JUMP for the barley fodder...

Keep the ideas coming! I am planning a salad bar in the chicken yard after summer, I love your setup.

Chickens ate their FF. Question about consistency...I had to scoop it out of the jar with a spoon. Too thick?

did they eat it?
if so then I would say not too think.
It's really just a matter of personal preference...how thick or soupy YOU want it.

Some may say it is easier to pour out,,,rather then scooping out.

did they eat it?
if so then I would say not too think.
It's really just a matter of personal preference...how thick or soupy YOU want it.

Some may say it is easier to pour out,,,rather then scooping out.

They did eat it, I'm so excited!

It's thicker than previous tries so maybe they didn't like it because it was too soupy the last time.

Thanks KikisGirls, there are so many different ways to do things. It's sometimes difficult to figure out what's necessary vs personal preference.

I run mine a little on the dry side.

I do this because I have a large run and want to fling the feed out into the center sometimes, to encourage the chooks to scratch around various areas.

As a sidebar: This year's chook run is next year's garden. That's why I want them to scratch the whole yard, so they will eat all the bugs and weed seeds. Every year I flip sides!

Hope this helps;
-John

I run mine a little on the dry side. 

I do this because I have a large run and want to fling the feed out into the center sometimes, to encourage the chooks to scratch around various areas.

As a sidebar:  This year's chook run is next year's garden.  That's why I want them to scratch the whole yard, so they will eat all the bugs and weed seeds.  Every year I flip sides!

Hope this helps;
-John

I tend to feed in a bowl and fling treats, don't know why it's just what I do. Thanks for the idea to fling where I want them to scratch though, I have an area I need some work done, time for them to earn their keep!

Yep, I toss mine on the ground too. It is always thick enough to where I have to spoon it out of the jar. If you want to check your math, I believe the commonly accepted ratio is 1 part water to 1 part dry feed. Sounds like you have a great ferment going!

And yes, all items must be evenly spread by the OCD chickens. It is the Law of Chicken. And a lot less work for me. Now, the dogs...SMH.

Last edited:
Oh ... and they will. They love to do the garden tasks that we hate to do.

Did you know the pile's only natural enemy is the chicken? Try it! Pile something up and watch them scheme on how to dismantle it.

Hahaha, I am totally going to pass this challenge along to my kidlets.

Back
Top Bottom