FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I'm new to the whole FF thing. I just heard about it 2 days ago when I stumbled upon this thread.  The concept is fascinating and the results I've read about seem too good to be true. 

I'm dutifully reading through each and every post, starting from page one and I've only made it to page 140 so far. Whew! It's a lot of reading!! 

Today is my second day of reading through this thread, and my first day of delving into the FF world. (I hope no one minds if I join the club!)  I went down to the barn midday today and slopped some feed and water into a bin and loosely covered it. We'll see how it goes.

I wanted to go ahead and post right now, partially to subscribe, but also to comment on post #1375 (pg138). Those photos just blew my socks off! It's just incredible to see results like that. That is the post that tipped me over the 'should-I-try-this' edge. 

I'd also like to send out a big thank you to the wonderful ladies (and gents) that started this thread and have oh-so-patiently talked people through this method, explaining things and answering the same questions over and over. Bless your hearts. :hugs  I have a notepad next to me where I'm jotting down the questions I have, and then marking them off the list as I read further and find the answers. I'm notorious for asking the dumbest questions on earth, and I'll be back with those as soon as I can get current on this thread. Consider yourselves warned!! 

...and now I'll slink back down into the nether regions of this thread and continue my reading...

I also want to say thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. I have been reading through it off and on for about two months and am very grateful to all of you for sharing your knowledge and experience with us. This is my first year raising chickens and I have three pullets who are doing beautifully on the fermented feed. I don't have previous experience to draw on, but some of my friends who have raised chickens through the years have seen my girls and commented on how beautifully they are feathering out. These posts on fermented feed (and also deep litter BTW) have really been incredibly helpful, and are very much appreciated.

@EggSighted4Life
I am a newb, but that is my understanding. They have been bred to grow quickly. They put all their energy into body growth instead of feathering. They do look VERY scraggly. That's why I was surprised at how much better these have feathered in on the FF. I'm happier that their poop is more solid
1f389.png
1f44d-1f3fc.png

Decided to try fermenting their crumble again and feed it in the morning. Will take the bowl of food I usually leave in the coop out tonight so they can't eat before I let them out.

Thanks for the ideas to encourage them to eat it.

@lazy gardener My questions are according to the product I have for possible fermenting.
Oat Groats
green lentils
wheat berries hard and soft
brown rice
corn
soybeans
So I have these, Can they be Fermented ?
I cook them all, in a crock pot.
and add it to regular layer mash.
What can I do. ?
sprout the wheat berries or ferment the wheat berries ?
Thank you.

Yes, they can be fermented. I would ferment them raw. If you are continuing to mix the grains/seeds into the layer mash, you could soak the grains overnight to soften them, then mix them into the mash, and ferment the whole mess.

I think sprouting or fodder is a nice addition to fermenting. I have been feeding small amounts of barley fodder in the evening and it grows very quickly and ensures the chickens get greens until my clover salad bars have grown enough...

I use half a tray per day...

Yum!

Nice root mat...

Salad bars I planted with white clover a week ago...it is raining today so the hen is a little wet too...

You can see where not much will grow here except larger wild shrubbery, pine trees, wild roses all good cover...

I am adding this here just as suggestions for other items in addition to fermenting....all good for our flocks....

Last edited:
Yes, they can be fermented. I would ferment them raw. If you are continuing to mix the grains/seeds into the layer mash, you could soak the grains overnight to soften them, then mix them into the mash, and ferment the whole mess.
Oh yes, hadn't thought of that...some more experimenting along with growing fodder and sprouts. I have spent so much money on their feed because it is organic and people that take my eggs are assured it is organic. So I have to honest and feed organic.
Some people have a ginder. Does anyone do this or is just another added expense ?
mg

Back
Top Bottom