FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Hmm interesting. The first two batches of chicks we had went into molting and actually had bare skin exposed. The poor things would almost get entirely bald, but then tail, wing and neck feathers would begin to grow in. This is the first time they stayed completely covered the whole time. These chicks really enjoy their feed!:love

Hmm interesting. The first two batches of chicks we had went into molting and actually had bare skin exposed. The poor things would almost get entirely bald, but then tail, wing and neck feathers would begin to grow in. This is the first time they stayed completely covered the whole time. These chicks really enjoy their feed!:love
That is pretty strange. My first thought was if they had mites, and my second thought was maybe they were plucking each other's down. But neither of those problems would really just disappear with the growth of new feathers. So dietary issues do seem likely. Were all three of your batches related to each other?

I'm in agreement that the issues with lack of feathering in chicks noted by JLC was most likely diet related. Even if they were on an appropriate protein content, if the feed was stale, it would have not had decent nutrient to meet their needs.

That is pretty strange. My first thought was if they had mites, and my second thought was maybe they were plucking each other's down. But neither of those problems would really just disappear with the growth of new feathers. So dietary issues do seem likely. Were all three of your batches related to each other?

They were all from the same place, different times.

We just assumed that was normal. I can't remember if I read somewhere that it was normal, but nobody bled or anything. We're just thinking that the fermented feed balanced their diet.

It certainly made the adult chickens feathers pretty.

My big batch has white film covering it.
I am still having a hard time deciphering if I smell Alcohol or Sour. I don't drink much at all (a beer or 2 a year?). It is almost like I can smell both.
I do Love Saurkraut and have smelled Kimchi (but not often)
It does bubble a little and the pullets are eating it like gang busters.

My big batch has white film covering it.
I am still having a hard time deciphering if I smell Alcohol or Sour. I don't drink much at all (a beer or 2 a year?). It is almost like I can smell both.
I do Love Saurkraut and have smelled Kimchi (but not often)
It does bubble a little and the pullets are eating it like gang busters.
That white film is your scoby, stir it in!

They were all from the same place, different times.

We just assumed that was normal. I can't remember if I read somewhere that it was normal, but nobody bled or anything. We're just thinking that the fermented feed balanced their diet.

It certainly made the adult chickens feathers pretty.
When I saw you post that yesterday, I thought the same thing all these peeps are saying... I've NEVER seen a chick molt bald. I'm glad the FF seems to be making a difference for you. :thumbsup

I have been feeding my (22) 8 week-old chicks fermented organic scratch since they were about a month old. They LOVE it and gobble it up. If I feed it dry they are not very interested at all. The fermented scratch is attacked each morning with glee!

Nothing is easier. Since they are still babies, I just fill a glass gallon jug about 1/2 to 3/4 full and add water. Leave space at the top for bubbling. Put a loose lid (do not tighten) or cheesecloth on top (secure with a rubber band) to keep out fruit flies. (I do have a whole house water filter so the chlorine is removed.)

Leave it in the kitchen out of bright light. I add NOTHING to the feed. No starter or vinegar. It ferments perfectly. I only stir it once a day. The fermented feed will get a bit more ripe every day. There is no mold or sourness.

I prefer GLASS containers. They're sanitary and I can rinse and put in the dishwasher when empty. I will have to switch to big plastic buckets when all these chicks are bigger. I love fermented food and it is not time-consuming once you get a routine started. Your chickens will thrive on it. They also get free-choice starter pellets right now.

I don't think I will ever feed ONLY fermented food. But fermentation is healthy and a great way to supplement their diet. Just use common sense and make sure you smell the food and look out for any odd molds. Bubbling is normal and part of the process. I have never had any mold or bad batch.

Oh, and you can ferment just about ANY kind of food or grain. Some work better than others. I also sprout whole grains for them. Sunflowers are easy and much loved.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom