FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Questions - Are the mites in the feed, with the weather "hatching"? Or is it the storage at the feed store? Would changing to a grain feed have less chance for mites? Should I start buying 10# bags?
Yes, Probably not-but maybe, Maybe, Maybe.
Grain mites burst forth in much greater numbers during hot humid conditions.
I freaked the first time I saw grain mites.....but have learned they are not that big of a deal-unless they get into your kitchen/pantry/mealworm bins. DE will kill them easily, I basically repackaged the infested feed into different bags and added/stirred in DE as I transferred it.
Here's my story with them.

Shadowmane already started a thread about this, so we are moving shop to his thread! C'mon over and jump in! The water is warm.....
big_smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644300/fermenting-feed-for-meat-birds

Ok, I'm going to hijack this thread for a bit although it still pertains to FF...
I LOVE FF as do my girls however I'm limited to 4 - 6 chickens & I live in a residential area so no crowing. Since I learned about fermenting been doing it but recently have had a small issue. Feed here comes only in 50# bags, yester - years I could get 25# but that was a long time ago :)
Anyway being that I only have 4 BOs, it's been warm & humid, I can never finish that bag fast enough. Prior to these I had 5 Blue Wynadottes from Oct - April and had the same thing happen....Feed mites when I get down to about 20# left (30# in 2 months). Past 2 bags of Flock Raiser I didn't finish & dumped. Both times I washed down the bin & dried it well, sprinkled DE. I've never had this problem since I started raising chickens (2013) & picking up my feed from the same feed store.

Questions - Are the mites in the feed, with the weather "hatching"? Or is it the storage at the feed store? Would changing to a grain feed have less chance for mites? Should I start buying 10# bags?

The feed store I go to don't sell FR in smaller bags, they do sell Dumor which I don't like the results. Another feed store does sell (Nutrena) feed in 10# bags, end up costing a bit more but no more mites? I hate tossing the feed although I take it to the landfill where there's alot of feral chickens so it's not really going to waste.

:pop All your opinion & advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :frow

if you have room in a deep freezer you could put half in ziplock bags and freeze it.

I bought a 40# bag at a different place of milled organic feed.... Had moths in a week.... my regular supplier sold her pigs and coons got all but 20 chickens so she hadn't made a feed run to the co-op .. so since the moths I made a 150 mile round trip to a co-op and got 18 bags.. they put DE in the feed to control the bugs.

Ok, I'm going to hijack this thread for a bit although it still pertains to FF...
I LOVE FF as do my girls however I'm limited to 4 - 6 chickens & I live in a residential area so no crowing. Since I learned about fermenting been doing it but recently have had a small issue. Feed here comes only in 50# bags, yester - years I could get 25# but that was a long time ago :)
Anyway being that I only have 4 BOs, it's been warm & humid, I can never finish that bag fast enough. Prior to these I had 5 Blue Wynadottes from Oct - April and had the same thing happen....Feed mites when I get down to about 20# left (30# in 2 months). Past 2 bags of Flock Raiser I didn't finish & dumped. Both times I washed down the bin & dried it well, sprinkled DE. I've never had this problem since I started raising chickens (2013) & picking up my feed from the same feed store.

The feed store I go to don't sell FR in smaller bags, they do sell Dumor which I don't like the results. Another feed store does sell (Nutrena) feed in 10# bags, end up costing a bit more but no more mites? I hate tossing the feed although I take it to the landfill where there's alot of feral chickens so it's not really going to waste.

:pop All your opinion & advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :frow

I would start by washing and bleaching your feed bin. Then, put it in the sun to dry. Be sure it is void of all bleach scent before putting feed into it again. Are you dumping the feed into the bin, or are you simply putting the bag into the barrel? IMO, keeping the feed in the bag just might help keep any infestation from becoming a recurring issue with the next bag. (oh how most likely naive and foolish this opinion may be, but never the less... that's what I do.) Also, that prevents the possible tendency of dumping a new bag of feed in on top of the "almost gone" feed at the bottom of the bin.

While the mites themselves may not be an issue, they are consuming nutrients from your feed, and leaving behind a lot of frass. And mite infested feed just might be old/stale feed.

I would also, after sterilizing the bin buy my next feed at a different store, and see if it's a storage problem, or a store problem. I'd consider breaking that bag of feed into 2 x 25# bags, and freezing the second one. When you take that second bag out of the freezer, be sure to bring it to room temp before opening it up. Be sure to freeze it in an air tight bag, or even double bag it. OR, find someone to split a bag with.

Yes, Probably not-but maybe, Maybe, Maybe.
Grain mites burst forth in much greater numbers during hot humid conditions.
I freaked the first time I saw grain mites.....but have learned they are not that big of a deal-unless they get into your kitchen/pantry/mealworm bins. DE will kill them easily, I basically repackaged the infested feed into different bags and added/stirred in DE as I transferred it.
Here's my story with them.
I always heavily dust DE in my bin which I put the feed bag in & FR has DE in it, so...Yup it freaked me out the first time, this time frustrated.

Is there someone you could Split a 50# bag with that lives near you ?
Maybe put up a sign at the feed store for someone to split with ? I bet there is someone that also only has a few hens.
Good idea will try...

if you have room in a deep freezer you could put half in ziplock bags and freeze it.

I bought a 40# bag at a different place of milled organic feed.... Had moths in a week.... my regular supplier sold her pigs and coons got all but 20 chickens so she hadn't made a feed run to the co-op .. so since the moths I made a 150 mile round trip to a co-op and got 18 bags.. they put DE in the feed to control the bugs.
I sifted the dust out of the remaining feed, no odor or bad smell, didn't even see any as I sifted. The remainder put in the freezer. My thinking, split the bag & freeze, put what I'll be using in the frig & use.

I would start by washing and bleaching your feed bin. Then, put it in the sun to dry. Be sure it is void of all bleach scent before putting feed into it again. Are you dumping the feed into the bin, or are you simply putting the bag into the barrel? IMO, keeping the feed in the bag just might help keep any infestation from becoming a recurring issue with the next bag. (oh how most likely naive and foolish this opinion may be, but never the less... that's what I do.) Also, that prevents the possible tendency of dumping a new bag of feed in on top of the "almost gone" feed at the bottom of the bin.

While the mites themselves may not be an issue, they are consuming nutrients from your feed, and leaving behind a lot of frass. And mite infested feed just might be old/stale feed.

I would also, after sterilizing the bin buy my next feed at a different store, and see if it's a storage problem, or a store problem. I'd consider breaking that bag of feed into 2 x 25# bags, and freezing the second one. When you take that second bag out of the freezer, be sure to bring it to room temp before opening it up. Be sure to freeze it in an air tight bag, or even double bag it. OR, find someone to split a bag with.
I don't dump my feed into the bin, bag & all goes in and I would NEVER put old into the new. I washed the bin out with alcohol & air dried. Heavily dusted the bin with DE as I always do. FR has DE in it so....The plan is to purchase feed from another feed store & split the bag, storing in the freezer.

:thumbsup Thank you all that responded, my thinking exactly but needed reassurance I was on the right track. BYC MEMBERS are the BEST for info & sound advice/help:wee

Last edited:
FF in the Winter ..

So for us COLD Snowy Winter people -- Do you still FF in the Winter or is it better for them to have dry?
I ask because it is my understanding that the more you digest the warmer you are.
So with FF being easier to digest would dry make it better/warmer just for the Winter?

Sorry, it seems Autumn is already arrived here in New England

I was grilled about salmonella at work yesterday. Apparently the news is talking about a few cases of it that are linked to backyard chickens. Yup, per the CDC this is happening all over the country though.
I just shrugged my shoulders and said my chickens get FF so I'm not especially concerned. Plus I wash my hands when I am done with eggs, chores etc.
FF got a few raised eyebrows, and people said it's too much work. I said not really once you get the hang of it, and no one in my family has been sick so it's worth it.

Apparently the news is talking about a few cases of it that are linked to backyard chickens. Yup, per the CDC this is happening all over the country though.
I hate that/those articles/posts....misleading headlines and text.....with little mention of the hatcheries where it originates...just blatantly points to BYCer's Grrr!!
Sorry, mini rant over.

Anyone remember the red eared slider turtles they used to sell at pet and dime stores?
They eventually got banned because of salmonella striking the idiots keepers who didn't know how to wash.

Back
Top Bottom