FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

JaeG

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Sep 29, 2014
New Zealand
I'm all about fermentation, for humans and animals!! Thank you! This is a great article!!
We will get our first chicks in 3 weeks. At what age can we start feeding fermented feed?
Right from the start you can give it to them. Just make sure it's not too cold when it is fed. If you are using a heat lamp you can put it near the heat to keep it warmer.

rosemarythyme

Crossing the Road
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
I'm all about fermentation, for humans and animals!! Thank you! This is a great article!!
We will get our first chicks in 3 weeks. At what age can we start feeding fermented feed?
You can offer it right at the start but they may/may not go for it, so I would only offer small amounts of first, and don't be discouraged if they just play with it or ignore it at first. Usually takes mine a couple of weeks before they decide they want to eat it.

Kimi BK

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2020
New Mexico, USA
I started on day 3 because it takes 3 days to ferment and I hadn't prepared ahead of time. I only offered fermented (took away their dried food), and they ate it right away. After that I put their "bottomless" dry feed out again, along with fermented feed (my guess at their 1/2-to-full ration fermented). They always have finished their fermented feed.

Now that they are outside and the wet feed will freeze if not eaten timely (they are 13 weeks old), I've been putting out 1/2 ration of fermented in the morning, and they always have their bottomless dry feed available as well. The fermented is always eaten in a few hours.

Top Bottom