FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

More info about feed grade molasses additive in livestock feeds: http://www.feedipedia.org/node/561

Bee, do they sell this at the feed stores. I'm going to be making bokashi for the garden and I've bought EM1 to do so. Mixed with bran and molasses make it totally. Then you can use it to FF I was wondering how expensive molasses is.
idunno.gif

Bee, do they sell this at the feed stores. I'm going to be making bokashi for the garden and I've bought EM1 to do so. Mixed with bran and molasses make it totally. Then you can use it to FF I was wondering how expensive molasses is.
idunno.gif

They do sell it at the feed stores though I've never priced it. Perchie has used it for horses so she might be able to give you a fix on price.

Go easy on it....small animals, small livers.
wink.png

Hi, I am new to fermented feed. I've been feeding it now for maybe a week or so. I just started with layer mash and water and it seems to be fermenting just fine, I've been keeping it in a five gallon bucket in my kitchen since it's pretty chilly outside right now. I've kept some dry feed out for now until I get the hang of exactly how much to feed them, is there a recommendation per hen of how much to feed? I know that they absolutely love it! :)

Hi, I am new to fermented feed. I've been feeding it now for maybe a week or so. I just started with layer mash and water and it seems to be fermenting just fine, I've been keeping it in a five gallon bucket in my kitchen since it's pretty chilly outside right now. I've kept some dry feed out for now until I get the hang of exactly how much to feed them, is there a recommendation per hen of how much to feed? I know that they absolutely love it! :)

Most folks advise 1/2 c. per bird on feed and it's not a bad place to start for winter time feeding. Then just move it up or or down as you see fit. I'm currently feeding 10 LF birds on 4-5 c. of feed per day. That all changes for me when good foraging conditions roll back around and then it's drastically reduced.

Perchie, poor Perchies girls...no molasses for them! I myself feed dry cob as I find the molasses amps them up a little more than I want. However, whenever I rode a draft, I found that if they started to do anything bad, like bucking, it took 5 minutes so I was ready
wink.png

I have a question, Bee or someone, I now have my girls back on dry feed for our vacation, and plan to have the dog sitters stir the ff while I'm gone, but is it OK to just stir for 2 weeks and not use any?

Perchie, poor Perchies girls...no molasses for them! I myself feed dry cob as I find the molasses amps them up a little more than I want. However, whenever I rode a draft, I found that if they started to do anything bad, like bucking, it took 5 minutes so I was ready
wink.png

I have a question, Bee or someone, I now have my girls back on dry feed for our vacation, and plan to have the dog sitters stir the ff while I'm gone, but is it OK to just stir for 2 weeks and not use any?

Should be fine but it will be pretty rank by the time you come back....fer-MENTED!
big_smile.png

Thanks Bee, what if I put it in the garage which is cold, it will then go dormant. Then re-start with warm water and fresh feed when we get home? Would it still need to be stirred, not shaken?
big_smile.png

Thanks Bee, what if I put it in the garage which is cold, it will then go dormant. Then re-start with warm water and fresh feed when we get home? Would it still need to be stirred, not shaken?
big_smile.png

That's how they keep sourdough bread mix starter, just put it in the fridge until they need it and then warm it back up and feed it, wait a day or so until the organisms reactivate and then it can start to be used again. Won't hurt to try it!

Back
Top Bottom