FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Quote: LOL got every spark she was born with. her only issues is her eyesight and hearing. She broke her hip last year all fixed up from that but she lost the strength in her legs because of that she finally lost her drivers licence. Yep she was driving till she was 96 Better driver than mom... But she had been driving since she was 12 so that was a heart breaker for her. Born in 1916. Rosie the riveter... fired two husbands kept the third

The deal is we are a very small family. Grandma Mom ME and my son. No aunts and uncles or brothers and sisters..... So its on me to make sure if grandma falls someone is here. Cant keep her down dont want to. She fell in the kitchen just a few months ago I was out doing errands she decided I didnt load the dish washer right slipped a little and scooted down her walker.... only bruised her shin but she couldnt get up. so I have been more diligent on leaving for more than two hours at a stretch and she has promised me not to get adventurous when I am gone.

deb

Well, we finally took the plunge and processed a chicken. It was a rooster that we weren't allowed to keep for neighborhood reasons. He was a big bird, not sure of the weight. He was 5 months old. He started crowing on Sunday, so we needed him gone right away. My husband did it. He said it wasn't something he would like to do again soon, but that he could if it was needed. It was interesting and thanks to FF he was very healthy. He was a basque chicken so not know for being a meaty. He had the wrong coloring for breeding purposes. But I'm happy with the quality of the meat. It was good to see how it works to process.

Deb,

God bless you for looking after your grandmother! My Mom is nearly 92, is getting to the severe dementia stage. She is in assisted living as she is very, shall we say, resistant to change. I looked after her for 9 years or so before she went into AL.She still knows us and we visit weekly, I take her for a long drive which she enjoys. We look for critters and birds, wildflowers spring and summer. We also are a small family, only her, my sister, my hubby and I left. The genes stop here. Our kids are my husbands, so as far as blood, very small now. My Mom was also a Rosie the Riveter, in Ontario.

Be ever so thankful Grandma still has her spark, I used to wonder which is worse, loosing your mind or your health. I know now, the mind is worse, she has no ability to reason anymore. At least someone who has their mind knows what's going on. Funny how most of the time it's one or the other, Mom is physically very good. Getting frail tho, but still walks upright and strides out.

Enjoy your grandmother and perhaps look into someone to spell you once in awhile so you can go to the store and such. And go take care of all the critters! That for me is peace, Caring for critters.

Thanks Bee, will put it in the garage, nothing to lose, however it is warming up during the day so garage will be fairly warm, still slight freezes at night. If it is bad, just will start over. If it smells to high heaven, how do I know if it is good or bad?

Thanks Bee, will put it in the garage, nothing to lose, however it is warming up during the day so garage will be fairly warm, still slight freezes at night. If it is bad, just will start over. If it smells to high heaven, how do I know if it is good or bad?

Good smell will be like a highly pickled sour smell when you stir..can almost burn your nose hairs! ....bad smell may not have much of a smell at all and what smell it has will be completely different than the FF. Can't explain it. A moldy smell tinged with rot.

I love TWH....  Tennessee Walker horses.  They are People horses all the ones I have met were "Hi How Ya doin.... gimme a skritch please..   I had a friend once with a Gaiting Mule.... what a hoot.

Yep you learn EVERYWHERE if you are open minded....  No matter what endeaver you are attempting.

Lovely color on your boy.  Yep I have seen soo many Palominos blanch out especially down here in UV land.... LOL>

deb "whos riding days are over"

I've got 3 of those..... I love my Saddlebreds, too. And my one QH. I REALLY love gaited horses.
2665.png

I got talked into a bunch of things in my first couple of years with Drafts. I am a NEWBIE still. Shes my first and I have had her now 13 years. out of 47 years with horses LOL> You never learn it all Ever... I went the rice bran rout and the Biotene rout and the corn oil rout.... I sooo wanted to feed her Alfalfa and Molassis because I love the stuff. Smells good they love it it even tastes good to me.... Still not sweet to me.... LOL. I only feed Alfalfa if I am the one to feed her. At this point I free feed Bermuda. What I learned is there are Three kinds of Black horse Genetics. ONe that is born Grey and turns black as they shed out their foal coat. Those horses Tend to have thier coats sunburn through the year eventually becoming black with brown highlights. Then there are others that are Born Black.... MOst of those turn grey and we both know Grey eventually becomes White. But a small fraction of those Remain Black and if you look at their coat color they will have Blue reflections or highlights. Those horses NEVER fade. I want to say Homozygus? If it were a breeding stallion it would pass on black trait 100 percent. They have two black genes. Katee is very black but she did sun burn a little the first couple of years I had her here in San Diego Sun. This is her around 2002 She was about seven No she is not docked and No she has never had shoes on. We showed against the Big hitch horses Au Natural.... LOL. We won enough to pay our entry fees and stall space at the fair. deb
One of our TWHs is black- no idea what she looked like as a foal, but late summer, she's chocolate. People we know have a TWH mate who is black during the summer but grows out chocolate in the winter. Crazy.

LOL got every spark she was born with. her only issues is her eyesight and hearing. She broke her hip last year all fixed up from that but she lost the strength in her legs because of that she finally lost her drivers licence. Yep she was driving till she was 96 Better driver than mom... But she had been driving since she was 12 so that was a heart breaker for her. Born in 1916. Rosie the riveter... fired two husbands kept the third

The deal is we are a very small family. Grandma Mom ME and my son. No aunts and uncles or brothers and sisters..... So its on me to make sure if grandma falls someone is here. Cant keep her down dont want to. She fell in the kitchen just a few months ago I was out doing errands she decided I didnt load the dish washer right slipped a little and scooted down her walker.... only bruised her shin but she couldnt get up. so I have been more diligent on leaving for more than two hours at a stretch and she has promised me not to get adventurous when I am gone.

deb

I respect her a lot. BUT I really respect you My family is tiny too. And yes I stayed home to be with my Mama for 5 yrs until she passed. I was able to work until the last 6 mos. It was very draining but so fulfilling.
hugs.gif

Quote: I moved down from my house in the desert, to go to work at a temporary job just before Grandma turned 90. My son was already hear going to highschool He wanted nothing to do with "rural life".... Grandma was alone so it was a good arrangement for them. So I expected to be here for about a three month contract. That continued on for two years they layed me off and picked me up again on another short term contract and that one wound up being another year and a half almost two years. They layed me off..... and I had a nervous break down.... Done doing what I was doing. So I stayed here and now I am here for the duration. Moms going to need me next Hopefully I will be able to collect Social Security by then and I can pack her up and take her home with me.

I havent worked in my field since.... Sigh. But I am writing a book. Hope to Epublish one day.

deb

Tikki, you might want to try adding some paprika to our black mare's feed, it helps keep them black. If you've ever tried Black as Knight it is mostly paprika. Sam's had large canisters of it for good price. We don't have a Sam's close, so I buy the little jars at Dollar Store or Grocery OUtlet a dollar or less. Only takes about 3-5 TBSP. I feed about 2-3 in winter, and 4-5 in summer. Helps brighten all coats, but also helps with sun bleaching. If you show, it needs to be discontinued because for testing it does show up. I can't remember how long before, but it is on the internet somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom