FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Hi Balloonjuice,  I think Beekissed has evolved into a one bucket system.   For a 5 gallon bucket pour in 2 gallon water and start adding 12# feed.  You can use a glug of Mothered ACV or even some of your EM-1 liquid.  No molasses necessary.   Stir and sit a few min   Add up to 1/2 gallon more water if necessary.  To make a thick oatmeal.   Then wait 2 or 3 day stirring daily.   Ready to feed.     When it gets to about 3 inches from bottom   add water again and stir.  Then add feed.  Done overnight.    :D

There are MANY different ways to ferment just about anything. Different processes and ingredients will create slightly different results. If you do use EM-1 (I use it and recommend it but it's not the focus of this FF thread), as LindaB said, you don't need to add molasses, I would add...if you plan to use it within a few days. Not because it will go bad after that (it won't) but because if you plan to ferment it longer, you will get even greater fermented benefits...and molasses will enhance those. The molasses gives the microbes a quick yet nutritious (lots of minerals) food source to get them muliplying to a level where they can actually start better fermenting the contents of the feed, whether it is simply grain and legumes are also includes some fish meal (or other animal protein). Blackstrap molasses is even higher in minerals and lower in sugar. After a couple weeks, most of the sugar in molasses has been consumed anyways. I usually feed my FF after fermenting (with molasses and EM-1) for about 7-10 days, but longer is okay as well. It won't go bad...at least not for a long time (weeks or months, depending upon conditions stored). PM me if you want to learn more about using EM-1 not only to ferment chicken feed, but in water and as a spray down to spread healthy probiotic bacteria in the litter, roosts, nests and all coop surfaces. I wrote a small book on it, which I am offering for free for now in exchange for sharing a testimonial of your experience (after you've use it for a while) using the practices recommended in the book.

Disclaimer...you DO NOT NEED to use EM-1 or other special microbial "starters". Bee has done the world of (BYC world, at least) small chicken farmers a great and wonderful service of teaching folks how to simply ferment feed using a bucket, feed and water. Nothing complicated. IT WORKS! I use EM-1 because I use it for a lot of things (personal, chickens three different ways, gardening, cleaning) and I enjoy the "mad scientist" aspect of turning the mother culture into new and different concoctions. Right now I am enjoying a fermented turmeric brew (for me, not the chickens) that is just simply wonderful, but I digress...

Can we put meat directly into our FF?

Yes, you can ferment meat. It's riskier to do so and I wouldn't recommend it. If you do, I'd place no more than 5% by weight of meat in the ferment. You might also want to start your ferment without the meat at first (or a very small amount) and be sure to use a "starter", which could be as simple as backslop from a previous batch of FF. After 3-4 days, or once the ferment is going strong, add in more of the meat, perhaps half, then wait another few days before adding in the rest. You could also marinate the meat (assuming it is raw) in some ACV for a few hours to a day before adding it.

That said, our feed does contain fish meal. The fish meal is preserved with a natural antioxidant, which helps prevent putrefaction from setting in. I've had no problems or bad odors from fermenting the Scratch n Peck feeds. The feeds also contain a lot of "fermentation products" which I am not clear if those are actual live bacteria or just pasteurized fermented stuff. I guess I have yet another question for SnP feeds!

Last edited:
Yeah, I get that. I just didn't think many people vaccinated for cocci yet. It would be redundant. I doubt it's harmful. If feeding medicated (which is all some people can acquire), one is not supposed to treat with amprolium - (double dosing).

Basically what I do. I mix it fairly wet in the bottom of the bucket, add feed to about 2/3 full and cover it with water to the brim. Usually when it absorbs it all, it's about right and beginning to push up the lid.

I'm suprised at how many vaccinate in general, even for things like fowl pox (which, ya, wet can be a real issue, but dry generally runs its course and is not much of a big deal....). I think we're seeing more of it in general because so many have chickens as pets.

I started mine by filling a 1 gallon pitcher about 1/3 to 1/2 full of water. I added about 4 cups of chick starter and stirred it up really well. Then I added about 2 more cups of starter and stirred it in. I tweak the water amount after that. Then it is stir, stir, stir, everyday until it is ready.
That is great that you are that prepared!! When will you get your chicks?

Is fermented feed something to be fed all the time on a daily basis or just for a couple of weeks? I started mine yesterday so it should be ready by Friday I guess. If I don't see fermentation going on, then I'll wait until Monday to feed them.

Wow!! Poor thing! What was in her gizzard? I'd have been interested to see if her gizzard was impacted and could not advance the food along. Was the proventriculus enlarged and engorged also? This is the second crop and is located between the crop you are showing and the gizzard. Here's a pic of one attached to the gizzard:
I didn't think to check her gizzard. I will have to remember that if there is a next time. Stupid question but do chickens on fermented feed need grit. I feel like I should already know the answer to this!

Is fermented feed something to be fed all the time on a daily basis or just for a couple of weeks? I started mine yesterday so it should be ready by Friday I guess. If I don't see fermentation going on, then I'll wait until Monday to feed them.
Feed on a daily basis...from now on!

I didn't think to check her gizzard. I will have to remember that if there is a next time.
Stupid question but do chickens on fermented feed need grit. I feel like I should already know the answer to this!

Yeah, they still need grit. They will always need grit of some kind to help diges things, no matter how soft the food.

I ferment the medicated stuff. I didn't want to use it, but that's all my feed store carries. I just bought a bag of flock raiser and I'm going to be using that for everyone from now on.
Mealworms are very fatty. If you wouldn't mind growing your own, dubia roaches are easier than mealworms and superworms and have a better nutritional content.
Many use fish meal to bring the protein up in their homemade feeds.

Yeah Clankeyes, instead of growing mealworms that everybody recommends, go ahead and grow some roaches. That'll make you feel betta!!!!
lau.gif

sorry, sorry, could not resist. snicker

Can you add Chia Seeds to your FF ? I found this information. ...Because of its nutritional value and stability, chia is already being added to a range of foods. Research has shown that adding it to chicken feed makes for eggs rich in omega-3s. Feeding chia to chickens enriches their meat with omega-3s;

Second IF you can use it in your FF and you make your feed from scratch would it have enough protein or would you still have to add more protein into the feed ?

Don't they get really slimey? Don't know but someone said Don't

Back
Top Bottom