FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I have adults, teenagers, and chicks who are 7 weeks old. The "teenagers" are just now starting to lay. The chicks are almost fully integrated into the flock and are beginning to free range. We have a small acreage on which they free range most days, all day. My neighbors dogs where chasing them today so I know that I can't leave them alone.

Oh, ok I was worried you were feeding baby chicks scratch and kitchen scraps LOL!! So you are saying that NONE of your chickens will eat the FF?

lau.gif
gig.gif
lol.png
lau.gif

I'm sorry, but that's just funny all day long! I'll probably still be chuckling over that one tomorrow and the next day.....ask your husband??????? ...like only a man would know the facts and the truth on anything?
lau.gif
lau.gif
I think I just peed down my leg....

To be fair, tikkijane did mention that her husband worked in the pasteurization industry or some such sort which I assume was the reference to that statement.

Oh, ok I was worried you were feeding baby chicks scratch and kitchen scraps LOL!! So you are saying that NONE of your chickens will eat the FF?

To be fair, tikkijane did mention that her husband worked in the pasteurization industry or some such sort which I assume was the reference to that statement.

He has been certified/licensed USDA legal pasteurization for over 20 years. He does waste water, too. Now, those are some really interesting bugs...... lololol.

Last edited:
Go back and read my post I never said that pasteurization involved boiling, that is your contention. I have already covered all of the objections to your contention that only boiling is pasteurization. Heck, I have had fevers higher than the body temperatures you now are mentioning as being scalding hot.

But to recap once more, this link involves EIGHT (8) methods of pasteurization currently used for milk. Since no one seems to want to discuss the topic which is the true sterilizing effects hot water has on grains, lets talk about milk.

The 8 temperature ranges for pasteurizing milk ranges anywhere from 68C (145F) to 138C (280F)
and the times the milk is held at these various temperatures ranges anywhere from 30 minutes to 0.01 seconds.
This is what I said without getting into the scientific aspect of pasteurization of cows milk.

My proof.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pasteurization-methods-temperatures-d_1642.html

I encourage you to ask your husband if this is correct and if it is not correct please post the truth.

Pretty sure you missed the part where we moved on and where talking about temperature, including the part where I clarified and defined "hot." I'll certainly send him your link, but given that he's in up to his eyeballs with running his 20 million $$ construction site {I think they are putting in some really big pasteurizers, too}, it may be a while before he has time to diddle with chicken food fermenting, lol.
lol.png

(and some of that is going to depend on both application, method, and quantity, not to mention end product. In many ways, it's a fine art- knowing when what is killed off at what temps and what is needed for what product, which can also impact not just temp but time. I have a hard enough time wading through the variables when I don't have a headache, lol)

Last edited:
lau.gif
gig.gif
lol.png
lau.gif

I'm sorry, but that's just funny all day long! I'll probably still be chuckling over that one tomorrow and the next day.....ask your husband??????? ...like only a man would know the facts and the truth on anything?
lau.gif
lau.gif
I think I just peed down my leg....

Nah, it's because he's forgotten more about bugs than I'll likely remember in a lifetime, lol. In some ways, it's like me talking chickens- one comment out the barn door and giddyup, we're gone riding all day because he knows the strains by names and all kinds of information that important to what he does; me, not so much. LOL. Good gollee, I love that man, though. His brain is definitely worth picking when it comes to all kinds of bugs and foods.
gig.gif

Related, and inspiring: I listened to a show in NPR the other day about how important the bio-whatsits are to human health ... Lactobacillus etc. all those things that live in and on our body symbiotically to keep us functioning. About how even something as random as a cecessarian birth possibly denies an infant exposure to what should be the first natural batch of "healthy" bacterias he/she needs to get started with a healthy system, and what can be done about it. Fascinating!

Makes me even more pleased we can do FF for our chickens.

That is absolutely true. And breastfeeding, with its live cultures, continues the colonization of the good gut flora. Vaginal birth is pretty important.

No, I only used the chick starter for 3 weeks before I pitched a few cut up grapes and a few mealy worms in their brooder. Another week or so I gave them some lettuce. And, that's right none of the feathered critters will eat it. They just scratch it all around. I work for a dermatologist who raises chickens organically on a large scale, free ranges, and feeds organically, who told me to sprout the grains before giving them to the chickens rather than FF. So I may try that if I can find the whole grains. At the risk of more dis-
-sension
this thread, he said he felt like it was too dangerous to use FF ( sour mash as it is called here) since it could develop a strain of mold or fungus that could kill the
whole flock....Just sayin'....

No, I only used the chick starter for 3 weeks before I pitched a few cut up grapes and a few mealy worms in their brooder. Another week or so I gave them some lettuce. And, that's right none of the feathered critters will eat it. They just scratch it all around. I work for a dermatologist who raises chickens organically on a large scale, free ranges, and feeds organically, who told me to sprout the grains before giving them to the chickens rather than FF. So I may try that if I can find the whole grains. At the risk of more dis-
-sension
this thread, he said he felt like it was too dangerous to use FF ( sour mash as it is called here) since it could develop a strain of mold or fungus that could kill the
whole flock....Just sayin'....

Well, then...of course you should stop feeding FF immediately! Because 9 out of 10 dermatologists don't recommend it.....

Does he know that the sprouted grains are more prone to develop fungus than the actual fully fermented feeds? That's one of the biggest difficulties with sprouting grains, is feeding them out before they mold.

Well, then...of course you should stop feeding FF immediately!  Because 9 out of 10 dermatologists don't recommend it.....

Does he know that the sprouted grains are more prone to develop fungus than the actual fully fermented feeds?  That's one of the biggest difficulties with sprouting grains, is feeding them out before they mold. 

Hey,I'm just telling y'all what he told me and for no other reason. He didn't say that he did it, but he said that it added the good bio's back into their systems. He has a large organically raised flock in Colo.

Back
Top Bottom