FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

http://birdhealth.com.au/flockbirds/poultry/diseases/vent_gleet.html
This is being cross-posted from the "Emergencies" forum because sometimes I fail to get very good responses from it. I'm at my wits end with Alice, my six-year old SLW who has been hopelessly stuck in molt for the past five months. She's been on FF for over a year and I've been supplement with occasional high grade protein like tuna and tofu, trying to jolt her into completing molt. She eats a small bit then lets the flock finish it off. She won't eat at all if I isolate her from the others. Also, while I'm here, I have a problem with messy butts on half the flock of seventeen hens. It really isn't at the level of vent gleet, little evidence of inflammation, but there's a lot of white, runny poop crusting on the vent feathers. I've been washing them every week or so, trying to keep them clean. I thought FF would prevent runny poop, and especially prevent thrush-like organisms from colonizing the intestinal track. So, two issues here: Alice is stuck in molt and crusty butts on FF. Ideas?[COLOR=005CB1] [/COLOR]

The feathers that have emerged appear stunted and narrow, not fully formed, and they do seem to twist.

Parasites don't appear to be a problem. I've had the flock tested before for worms, and I've never seen any, and I keep a close eye on the poop for signs of ill health. And the crawling parasites have never infested my flock.

It's possible she is showing symptoms of lymphoid leukosis. I learned this past year that it's present in my flock, and four chickens to date have died from it. But Alice appears to be healthy in every other respect. As for the swollen shank, I need to wade out into this snow storm and take a close look and get back to you on that.

I just ran out and inspected her legs. They do not appear to be swollen. She isn't limping either.

Regarding the crusty butts, what about molasses as a treatment? I don't have any cocoanut oil.

Her feathers look frizzled to me. Which is normal for frizzles.

Upon request I am starting a thread about using fermentation to improve feed nutritive value and health benefits. 

1. Anyone doing it? 
  2. How long have you been doing it?
  3. Your methods?
  4. Grains/feeds used in this manner? 
  5. Your overall review of this method of feeding? 
I have been fermenting feed for about 6 months now. I just ferment 2 parts scratch and 1 part layer pellets. IT IS AWESOME! The yolks were bigger and oranger(is that a word) and the shells were very hard. It has been a lifesaver. Plus it expands so the chickens don't eat as much. I used this with egg layers and broilers and got GREAT results.

Her feathers look frizzled to me. Which is normal for frizzles.

I know her feathers are curling outward like a frizzle, but she's a standard Wyandotte. Her feathers are narrow, too, not fully developed. It's very strange.

She's doing okay in her dark cage. I just peeked at her. She has water, and was standing, so I think she can see well enough to drink it if she's thirsty. I'll be so glad when this is over this evening and I can return her to the flock. I know this is probably a lot harder on me than her, but I can't help worrying that this is upsetting for her. I just hope it works.

Both Alice and I came through her ordeal okay. She joined the others in the coop at night fall last night. She's definitely nutrient stressed right now. Her poop is showing bile. She's eating okay, though. I just wish I could get some vitamins into her without having to feed every other member of the flock.

I'm going to be on the lookout for falling feathers. I sure do hope this scheme worked and she'll finally grow some feathers.

I've been reading up on the nutrient make up of different grains and foodstuffs, and basically I have come to the conclusion, that if you're feeding eg. a 50-50 mix of commercial layer feed and grains, your birds are probably getting about half of the vitamins they should be. Most grains have only trace amounts of vitamins in them, so if you were to supplement the whole flock a bit, I don't think it would hurt.

Back
Top Bottom