FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I'm fermenting feed, but it doesn't look right. I fermented feed for a little while with crumbles, and it looked right, but I switched to pellets and it smelled stronger, like throw up or beer. It also doesn't get that film and the bubbles on top. I've been fermenting the feed with scratch grains, and I wonder if that's it. Is there a solution to this problem?

I'm fermenting feed, but it doesn't look right. I fermented feed for a little while with crumbles, and it looked right, but I switched to pellets and it smelled stronger, like throw up or beer. It also doesn't get that film and the bubbles on top. I've been fermenting the feed with scratch grains, and I wonder if that's it. Is there a solution to this problem?

Pellets are just very fine ground feed steamed and compressed into a shape for easy feeding, so when it hits the water you have a finer particle that ferments more quickly, so you are getting a stronger ferment more quickly than you used to do. The stronger smell is not a bad thing for the feed and you are doing nothing wrong but if you don't like that smell you can mix smaller batches and feed it out more quickly during these warmer months to avoid the deeper fermentation. That and cooler weather are really the only solutions to that problem that I know of.

Can I ferment pellet layer feed for my layers? And how do I do it? Do I have to inoculate the feed to keep bad bacteria away? Will I be able to lessen the feed prices? I want to pay less for food! Will they get my nutrition, thus less feed bought?

Today I stumbled upon the world of fermenting feed! I currently have chicks and plan on fermenting their grower feed that I already bought. I just have three questions

1) Can I ferment food that has animal protein?
2) Is the longer it is fermented, the better? Should I start now and feed them it in 1.5 weeks they hit the 6 week mark?
If yes, do I just keep adding water once it appears to dry a little?
3) If you can't ferment feed that has animal protein - which is better? Fermented feed without animal protein or feed that contains animal protein?

Thank you!!

[COLOR=333333]Today I stumbled upon the world of fermenting feed! I currently have chicks and plan on fermenting their grower feed that I already bought. I just have three questions[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]1) Can I ferment food that has animal protein?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]2) Is the longer it is fermented, the better? I think it reaches the point where it's "fermented" and that's all you need.
Should I start now and feed them it in 1.5 weeks they hit the 6 week mark?[/COLOR] It only took me about 3 days to get a really good ferment. Then I replenish with food and water and the more "base" I have left in the bucket, the faster it ferments. Now it just takes hours before its bubbled and "soured." At the end of the day, I replenish the food I used, add the appropriate amount of water, and it's ready to go in the morning. If I diminish the bucket "too low," I'll add a dash or two of apple cider vinegar.
[COLOR=333333]If yes, do I just keep adding water once it appears to dry a little?[/COLOR] From my understanding, you have to keep adding feed to "feed" to the fermenting organisms. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's just allowed to sit, the good organisms will eventually die off and bad organisms will take their place rotting and bad mold will grow and then feeding it to the chickens could kill them.
[COLOR=333333]3) If you can't ferment feed that has animal protein - which is better? Fermented feed without animal protein or feed that contains animal protein?[/COLOR] I'm not sure what you mean by "animal protein." Are you feeding a commercial feed? I get the bags of Purina grower at the local tractor supply and ferment it. Works great.

[COLOR=333333]Thank you!![/COLOR]

Today I stumbled upon the world of fermenting feed! I currently have chicks and plan on fermenting their grower feed that I already bought. I just have three questions

1) Can I ferment food that has animal protein? Sure can! Sometimes they smell like a rotten animal, though, so if you can stand the smell, go for it!

2) Is the longer it is fermented, the better? Should I start now and feed them it in 1.5 weeks they hit the 6 week mark? Start feeding it to them in a couple of days after adding your feed and water...should be fermented by then...don't wait. In this heat you'll get a deep ferment in no time and long before you replenish your bucket, depending on how much feed you are mixing and how many you are feeding. Opinions vary on light fermentation vs. deeper fermentation...either way you'll be feeding both kinds as the ferment moves from lighter to deeper as you feed out your bucket.
If yes, do I just keep adding water once it appears to dry a little? Most like to feed out a dryer mix...no need to keep adding water if you don't wish to.
3) If you can't ferment feed that has animal protein - which is better? Fermented feed without animal protein or feed that contains animal protein?

Thank you!!

For further questions you'll find a link in my signature to a FAQ site that will answer most of your questions on FF. Good luck!

Last edited:

For further questions you'll find a link in my signature to a FAQ site that will answer most of your questions on FF. Good luck!

First off, I'd like to say thank you so much for your replies and invaluable information!!
This is the feed I am currently feeding them: http://handhsoyfreenongmofeed.com/feeds-make/chicken-poultry-show-bird-rations/

I have one more question! Currently four of my chicks are 5 weeks.. Can I feed them starter and give them just a little of the fermented grower feed?
I started about 2 cups today in a small food plastic container. I poked small holes on top of the lid for adequate air. I wouldn't mind the smell!

Back
Top Bottom