FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Has anyone seen that picture of the eggs going around Facebook talking about feeding expired yogurt, and doubling your flocks egg production?  I am just wondering how much truth there is to that.

Yeah I commented that I did not think it was such a good idea to feed them yogurt as chickens don't have the correct enzymes to digest dairy. Someone replied to my comment saying a he wants to see research on that. I just rolled my eyes. Seriously, don't feed them a bunch of dairy. FF has the same benefits without the lactose.

Also, in the original thread, the person making that claim said that she had 9 chickens and ended up getting 14 eggs per day..plenty of people were questioning it but she kept her story saying she collected eggs everyday so she knew for a fact some of hers were laying 2 times a day. Anyone with any knowledge of chickens knows that's just not probably. It can happen very rarely but usually it's a high producing chicken and you're checking early morning one day and late at night the next. She ended up deleting her comments though.

It makes me sad that people are not open to learning. They see this and just automatically believe what they want to hear and shun critics. You can even see that my post got no likes but the person who responded got 3 likes.

I wish more people would take the time to learn about something and find out why something works if it does. In the case with the yogurt, it probably works because of the extra protien and probiotics, but still shouldn't be fed on a regular basis because chickens are not equipped to digest the sugars in it [lactose]. Then I went on to explain that if one wants those positive effects then to ferment their feed and all they will get is good from it. My mom is lactose intolerant. If I force fed her yogurt she would have a very bad time because of it, just like chickens..

Oh well

Also, in the original thread, the person making that claim said that she had 9 chickens and ended up getting 14 eggs per day..plenty of people were questioning it but she kept her story saying she collected eggs everyday so she knew for a fact some of hers were laying 2 times a day. Anyone with any knowledge of chickens knows that's just not probably. It can happen very rarely but usually it's a high producing chicken and you're checking early morning one day and late at night the next. She ended up deleting her comments though.

It makes me sad that people are not open to learning. They see this and just automatically believe what they want to hear and shun critics. You can even see that my post got no likes but the person who responded got 3 likes.

I wish more people would take the time to learn about something and find out why something works if it does. In the case with the yogurt, it probably works because of the extra protien and probiotics, but still shouldn't be fed on a regular basis because chickens are not equipped to digest the sugars in it [lactose]. Then I went on to explain that if one wants those positive effects then to ferment their feed and all they will get is good from it. My mom is lactose intolerant. If I force fed her yogurt she would have a very bad time because of it, just like chickens..

Oh well

This is the problem with the internet. Hearsay becomes fact almost instantly. I need at least three separate sources before I take something as accurate, especially when online researching.

I haven't fed mine yogurt BUT a LOT of people do.
It is not possible for you to get 14 eggs a day form 9 or how ever many chickens...
I feel sorry for the people that actually believe it.

Oh well

There is actually a treatment for cocci that's a dairy flush. You know, because they can't digest it..... regardless, small amounts are tolerable, but have zero impact on egg production.

It's like red pepper flakes increasing production- chickens don't even HAVE capsaicin receptors {which is why the heat doesn't affect them} and they only have 30-35 taste buds {compared to our 10,000}, so I'd like to see studies that prove the science behind that....
1f609.png

Pics rarely do justice as we all know... The smaller ones are what I hatched Wed/Thurs and there are 5 hatchery chicks with them. Mine are mostly Swedish Flower and a couple of EE.
love.gif

Hard to believe that all 16 chicks are actually in this pic. The big one with feathers and stripe is Welsumer. The big whitish one is a Rock and there are also Black Australorp.

Back
Top Bottom