FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

The pepper issue is such an interesting question, isn't it?

I weigh in on the natural side.

I like to add garlic to the FF when I think of it, as well as red pepper when I think of it or am using it for myself, or ginger during a stirfry or when I think of it...cinnamon, etc....if I am having some in oatmeal for myself...

Bits of herbs like oregano, if spilled on the counter or dropped from my window herb plants get scooped up and added to the FF. When I think of it.

For me, it is a mindfulness practice...I like to think of a little nice something for my chickens once every day or two, and over their lifetime, I believe it will be a healthy thing!

Last edited:
I'm feeding my big girls FF but will give it to my new chicks in April. Is it better for it to be dryer or wetter for the littles(day old & up) Just curious if it matters much, or at all, on the consistency of it.
When I got my first flock last year I wasn't doing FF (I've learned so much from BYC)
1f60a.png

As EggSighted4Life - I prefer "oatmeal" consistancy for all, too wet makes for messy down/feathers. I started off wet but after reading a bunch & trying it out, prefer the drier. You could try wetter, adding more dry as you like. I tend to use the ratio of 1:1 although have found that depending on the feed using, may need less or more water so I just adjust as I go.

I've found FF with chicks alot less pasty butts
1f600.png

Last edited:
@ChickenNanny
@EggSighted4Life
Thank you for your advice! I'm feeding FF to my layers now so I've been kind of playing around with the consistency. It's much easier to work with drier for sure. I'm going to be feeding it to my meat chickens as well. I'm hoping it will help their poo not be so overwhelmingly overwhelming
1f602.png
. Last summer was our first experience having them
1f633.png
It all went well thankfully. I love my layers too & have found this website (and the people on it) to be so helpful. I love it
1f60a.png

Re: the burning out.... chickens have a set amount of eggs available to even produce. The thinking is that by making them lay all year round {by adding supplemental light during the winter}, they essentially burn out and stop laying sooner than they would if one let nature take its course. I have zero experience with supplemental light. I'm of the mind that their bodies were designed a certain way for an actual reason. While production does slow, I still get eggs in the winter, and my older hens {3/4+} continue to lay a few a week.

It seems to me that when they have an overall better state of nutrition {and not being stressed} that they may continue to lay at a slower rate for a longer amount of time. I really don't care either way, personally. I'm always adding chicks or something's hatching, so we do pretty well.

I agree with you about flock management. I too a always adding chicks and young birds to my flock to keep production going.

I agree also, This thinking makes perfect sense to me as I don't raise chickens to sell eggs. But I do sell some to offset feed costs. I don't get upset over the slow down of eggs during the winter months but I do get upset when a perfectly good bird starts to slow down in her egg laying cycle which is about 3 years. They will still lay eggs but just not as many. Drat!

I agree also, This thinking makes perfect sense to me as I don't raise chickens to sell eggs. But I do sell some to offset feed costs. I don't get upset over the slow down of eggs during the winter months but I do get upset when a perfectly good bird starts to slow down in her egg laying cycle which is about 3 years. They will still lay eggs but just not as many. Drat!

It doesn't happen right away, but about a year after being on FF, I've had hens begin laying again regularly that hadn't laid for a year or longer. And older layers keep laying into "old age". This week, an eight-year old Wyandotte in my flock laid two perfect eggs, her first of this new season. My flock has been on FF for about four years now. The results have been absolutely stunning.

It doesn't happen right away, but about a year after being on FF, I've had hens begin laying again regularly that hadn't laid for a year or longer. And older layers keep laying into "old age". This week, an eight-year old Wyandotte in my flock laid two perfect eggs, her first of this new season. My flock has been on FF for about four years now. The results have been absolutely stunning.

That is awesome!!

Hmm, this is why I mentioned I dont like culling them, if they still contribute or just not as much or as often, I generally keep them. Everyone has different needs and ambitions.

I am all about culling, if they are not producing they have to go. I like my chickens don't get me wrong, but they serve a purpose, and that is to produce eggs and chicks.

Back
Top Bottom