FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Ok I'm very interested in this but my computer is stupid slow. It would take me 2 years to read the last 786 pages. Could someone please post the Cliff Note version of how to do this please? I've been feeding Layer Crunbles and Scratch grains with an occasional treat of greens and bugs when available. I have 5 soon to be 4 chickens that are about a year old. Thank You Turd.
https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

I use an 18/10 stainless steel sauce pot to scoop my feed everyday. Never wash it, but it gets fairly cleared off usually. Can't *see* any degradation yet... but actively looking for a replacement. So far either the size of the container isn't big enough or the handle is too flimsy to support the weight of the scooping without having to stick my hand in to support the container. I'm talking probably quart size and I have to do like 8 scoops per morning. Too thick and it won't pour into the trough but rather falls out and over the sides. Too thin and my birds look a mess and don't appreciate it either. Needless to say, by the last day before it's time to mix again, it's always the perfect consistency!

I put one of those little feeders with holes out so the broody chicks could keep their bellies dry... only to have them show me that they can get up into the higher trough and swim if they darn well please! They are so cute.
love.gif
After I put the low feeder because I was worried the babies might not get feed... the adoptive silkie mama showed me that she knows the babies aren't that tall... and she calls them over and drops the feed out for them to get! Who knew?

Pic don't do justice... but at least I got to share!
big_smile.png

Thank You
Hi, welcome to BYC and fermenting!
frow.gif

I won't claim to save 2/3 of my feed bill... but I do save some, my birds, like it... and the nutritional benefits are real.

So did you get the basics from that link? Feed, water, stir, wait... feed it out.
smile.png
Avoid the whole keep the water 1 inch above the feed, it makes for a sloppy, time consuming mess. Just mix to about the consistency of oatmeal.

To me, the real indicator that your ferment is successful is that soupy layer near the bottom. The bubbling is a good start. But that soupy layer near the bottom is my holy grail so to speak. Doesn't make it reality, but that is when I know my ferment is good and going. The amount of days it takes can depend heavily on your climate. And some birds don't act like they love FF when you first introduce it. Chickens are creatures of habit, so anything new is a bit odd. But give them the chance to adjust and it won't be long before the gobble it up.

I don't blame ya for not having the time, energy, or desire to read the whole 780+ pages of the thread... but if you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask! Just the difference in poo smell was enough to convince me to stick with it.
sickbyc.gif

The bigger the flock, the bigger the savings... So go get more birds!
yippiechickie.gif
Oh, and beware of chicken math... 1+2 = 48 and 48-3 = 56! See how that works?
hide.gif
big_smile.png

Hi, welcome to BYC and fermenting!
frow.gif

I won't claim to save 2/3 of my feed bill... but I do save some, my birds, like it... and the nutritional benefits are real.

So did you get the basics from that link? Feed, water, stir, wait... feed it out.
smile.png
Avoid the whole keep the water 1 inch above the feed, it makes for a sloppy, time consuming mess. Just mix to about the consistency of oatmeal.

To me, the real indicator that your ferment is successful is that soupy layer near the bottom. The bubbling is a good start. But that soupy layer near the bottom is my holy grail so to speak. Doesn't make it reality, but that is when I know my ferment is good and going. The amount of days it takes can depend heavily on your climate. And some birds don't act like they love FF when you first introduce it. Chickens are creatures of habit, so anything new is a bit odd. But give them the chance to adjust and it won't be long before the gobble it up.

I don't blame ya for not having the time, energy, or desire to read the whole 780+ pages of the thread... but if you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask! Just the difference in poo smell was enough to convince me to stick with it.
sickbyc.gif

The bigger the flock, the bigger the savings... So go get more birds!
yippiechickie.gif
Oh, and beware of chicken math... 1+2 = 48 and 48-3 = 56! See how that works?
hide.gif
big_smile.png
I'm going to give it a whirl. The main questions would be 1. How much to feed 4 chickens? From what I read it was saying anywhere from 1/2 to 2 cups once or twice a day. Is that per chicken? because now I only add about 5 cups of dry per week plus the scratch, but they get all they want of it. It seems that doing the FF I would be feeding more than I do now. Also about the temp for fermenting, I know you said below 38 or so it didn't work. But what is the highest temp it will? I keep my feed in a storage shed that gets HOT like over 100 in the summer. I have a very small house but could do this inside during the summer if the smell isn't to strong. Thanks

I'm going to give it a whirl. The main questions would be 1. How much to feed 4 chickens? From what I read it was saying anywhere from 1/2 to 2 cups once or twice a day. Is that per chicken? because now I only add about 5 cups of dry per week plus the scratch, but they get all they want of it. It seems that doing the FF I would be feeding more than I do now. Also about the temp for fermenting, I know you said below 38 or so it didn't work. But what is the highest temp it will? I keep my feed in a storage shed that gets HOT like over 100 in the summer. I have a very small house but could do this inside during the summer if the smell isn't to strong. Thanks

4 chickens will likely consume 2-2 1/2 c. total for the day...not each, for all the birds. However you feed it, once or twice, that's about how much each adult bird will eat...1/2 c. of feed, be it dry or FF.

The highest temp isn't a factor...it merely ferments more quickly in higher temps, necessitating one to refresh the feed more often due to the scoby running out of available sugars for fermenting if left too long. Most people will batch smaller but more frequent batches in the summer months so as to not reach that point. Can you keep your FF bucket in your coop or run in the summer months, in the shade, where it's not likely to get that hot? I keep mine in my coop in the warm months and it does fine...it gets double shade there and plenty of ventilation, while I also batch it smaller and more frequently so as to keep up with the rapid rate of fermentation in the warmer temps.

Some people in warmer climates wind up keeping it in the cool of basements or garages for the summer.

I run my FF a bit drier now, and do not have the soupy layer. IF it's a bit more moist, you will find that, for sure! I know mine is working well by smell and b/c it puffs up, much as a bread dough will.
I didn't know the soupy layer would stay away drier, good info.

I always have the puffiness, but have gone nose blind to the smell. Others who aren't around it sure react though!
lol.png

I know my ferment is going well also because I have never since I started ran out with a usual back slop of not less than 1 gallon.

The fluffiness is my favorite thing about fermenting! Love the sound when I put my paddle in and the bubbles are popping and air escaping. There is just something fun about it, like punching down a big ball of bread dough.

When I grow up, I wanna be a kid!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom