FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Weekly or semi-weekly in hot climates? Great. I ferment single day rations in two rotating casks. So neither is brewing for more than 48 hours, and even my backslop is only about a quarter cup and it gets stirred into the rest. So I probably don't have to worry about spoilage, right? (obviously I watch for mold)

your "way" sounds good to me!
thumbsup.gif

Weekly or semi-weekly in hot climates? Great. I ferment single day rations in two rotating casks. So neither is brewing for more than 48 hours, and even my backslop is only about a quarter cup and it gets stirred into the rest. So I probably don't have to worry about spoilage, right? (obviously I watch for mold)

Speaking from experience, watch your lid if you're using one. The one time I did get a bad moldy smell (as opposed to yeasty smell) I flipped the lid over and realized I had black moldy spots--although there was no visible mood on feed, mold spores must have been introduced via the lid. It was really obvious diff in smell tho.

I ferment with the lid off, to let any airborne bacteria join the party. It also lets me keep an eye on the brew, that way if it's too thick and tries to push it's way out I can stir it and add more water if necessary. I pour off any excess before taking it down to give to the chickens (yes, I save it for the next batch, it is SCOBY after all)

I ferment with the lid off, to let any airborne bacteria join the party. It also lets me keep an eye on the brew, that way if it's too thick and tries to push it's way out I can stir it and add more water if necessary. I pour off any excess before taking it down to give to the chickens (yes, I save it for the next batch, it is SCOBY after all)

I have never used a lid either.
wink.png

Are you fermenting in this Ikea metal container?  

No, a bucket. I scoop & drain some liquid off then put into a bucket for outside that I use to feed. When I'm done with it it gets at least rinsed if not a full wash. The weight of the food is too much for me some days so I have to take it out in smaller amounts. Food drains while I do something else so I'm not taking more feed time except the lil bit to transfer the food.

If you are storing your feed in a hot shed, that is not doing it any good.  It is hastening the break down of the nutrients in the feed, and causing the oils to go rancid and the vitamins to lose their potency much quicker than if it is stored at a cooler temp.  Even in a tiny house, you should be able to find somewhere to store that feed so it will not go stale before you have a chance to use it up.

I live in the desert & I do it in small batches-one day per bucket & try to do 5 days worth. Many with smaller flocks mix up a few days in one bucket.

I've a small house with limited space as well & have found I can store in corners, asking a kitchen wall, & under the kitchen table. I might have to move a bucket to get into a cabinet or sit at the table, etc. I have tried the garage as there's been no space. It's still too hot in the shade here. I'd you do a single bucket you should be able to find a spot.

Hello, Everyone!

This thread inspired me to ferment for the chickens (was already doing it for us) a few years ago and I'm so glad!

My big girls always ate it all, but I'm now fermenting for chicks (whole flock was wiped out in November :hit ). They didn't like it when they were tiny so I let them have dry for a bit and now that they're two weeks old I got an active ferment ready.

Chicks didn't finish all of breakfast (I'm still figuring out amounts) so I just dumped the couple Tbs onto the deep litter and flipped it over to bury it. Do you see a problem with this as far as safety of finding it later?? Do you think it'll attract mice/rats? I have the coop as tight as possible, but it's inevitable that they find a way in.

Thanks!

Hello, Everyone!

This thread inspired me to ferment for the chickens (was already doing it for us) a few years ago and I'm so glad!

My big girls always ate it all, but I'm now fermenting for chicks (whole flock was wiped out in November
hit.gif
). They didn't like it when they were tiny so I let them have dry for a bit and now that they're two weeks old I got an active ferment ready.

Chicks didn't finish all of breakfast (I'm still figuring out amounts) so I just dumped the couple Tbs onto the deep litter and flipped it over to bury it. Do you see a problem with this as far as safety of finding it later?? Do you think it'll attract mice/rats? I have the coop as tight as possible, but it's inevitable that they find a way in.

Thanks!

Especially if they are chicks, I wouldn't. Considering the bother, I would just return it to the fermenting container...

the reason I say this is that you don't really want them eating their litter at this point, they are a bit too young if still chicks.

For my grown up girls, I sometimes just feed on the open ground...but they are all grown up and I still would not put it in their deep litter...not so much the rodents as more about safety....I would feed n a container until they are truly full grown ladies. Hope this helps.

Also, just cause they did not finish it at one time, doesn't mean they won't return to it later in the day when crops are less full and eat more. I would feed them in morning and remove after they have gone to bed. That would help with critter problem too, imho...

Last edited:
Mine were a bit wary at first too, such is the way with chickens; they are...well, chicken! Eventually though they realized I wasn't going to give them their regular dry crumbles and the ventured a chance. Braveheart was, of course, the first to try it. Now I'm finding it hard to pour their feed into their trough due to their enthusiasm!

Back
Top Bottom