FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I'm not thrilled with my current fermenting vessel, size it too big and it's glass so I'm getting some food grade buckets today.

@lazy gardener what size buckets did you say you use? I think one gallon buckets for one days worth of feed will be ok for 9 chickens. :confused:

I use 5 gallon buckets. My flock size is just a whisker over 30 birds. My style is to grab a bucket and head out the door with it. Obviously 5G is too heavy to want to carry it far. So, I carry it to garage door, and set it in my waiting wheelbarrow. When I come back, if the hose is handy, I fill the almost empty bucket 1/2 way with water, set it beside my feed barrel, and add the dry feed, give it a stir, and it's ready for the next time. I rotate 2 buckets. When I replenish one bucket, I also give a quick stir to the other bucket that is now 24 hours old. Only it's too thick to really stir it. I just punch it down a bit, kind of like punching down a bread dough. I leave the lids loosely set on top of the buckets. I am loathe to work any harder than I need to, so will not scoop feed into a separate carry container. You could simply use 5G buckets, and only fill them 1/2 way with your FF mix, or you might like the 3G buckets. I can get free buckets from the deli dept at my grocer.

Thank you!! It's not a long walk but I find I'm either juggling feeders or carrying a heavy glass container out there. Think I will try 1 and 3 gallon buckets and see which I prefer.

I really wish I'd get email notification for every post in this thread. Has that changed since the updated site and I'm just missing it?
You can easily fix that. Click on Unwatch thread top right then click on watch thread and ahen you get the pop up click with email notifications. I'm sure there's another way but this one is what I know.

I have a PVC feeder that provides pellet feed at all times. I've been giving them FF in the morning since it is rising above freezing during the day.

How do you handle FF during freezing weather? Will I just have to switch to pure pellet feed when daytime temps drop below freezing?

I have a PVC feeder that provides pellet feed at all times. I've been giving them FF in the morning since it is rising above freezing during the day.

How do you handle FF during freezing weather? Will I just have to switch to pure pellet feed when daytime temps drop below freezing?
I feed 2x a day what they clean it up in less than 1/2 hr.. so ff doesn't have time to freeze

Winter is a pain. I carried 17 birds through the winter last year. They ate FF almost 100% of the time (in addition to their sprouts). This year, I am carrying 30 birds, so may do a combination of FF and pellets. We'll see how it goes. I may also change up my waterer, make a cookie tinor stock pot heater for the water (horizontal nipples). This will free up the heated dog bowl for the FF. Any one have experience using heated dog bowl for FF? I'm concerned that it might overheat b/c there won't be any water. Less circulation.

Back
Top Bottom