FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

The feed recommended by the rescue I'll be getting my chucks from says not to feed wet or dampened. Any one figure the reason for this? I contacted the producers on Saturday about it, and I guess I'm just impatient.

This is the feed. http://www.animalfeedstore.com/Small-Holder-Range/Natural-Free-Range-Layers-MealCrumble.asp

Unless it's something all manufacturers put on their feed (probably should have checked that out first, huh?) to cover themselves in case of someone feeding soiled food, the only other thing I can think of is that they add yeast as a probiotic.
That, or, since it doesn't have any preservatives, it spoils much faster than "normal" feed and moisture speeds up the spoiling process even more.

Thanks folks.

I did get an answer today. Aside from going off on one about not feeding pasta and porridge they just said that it was unnecessary. The big scary black lettering made it seem like wetting the feed was a terribly dangerous thing to do, rather than just "not needed". *shrug*

Yeah, it's just a CYA statement. I would happily ferment that feed, and pay no mind to the man behind the curtain. If you have not already read TikiJane's article: FF FAQ, the web site is located in my signature. You will have to copy it into a search bar to access it.

Ooh, no I have not. Thanks for the link. I am basically spending every free moment right now just hoovering up articles, blog posts, and threads on BYC. So any and all links are welcome!

I see that some ferment all flock. My question is can you ferment 22% protein game bird grower finisher crumble to feed chicks pullets and layers? Of which I have 47 so I need to watch the prices.
I can buy all flock for 16.00 at TSC for 50 pound bag or for 12.00 I can get 50 pound bAg of game bird from my local grain elevator. I am fermenting layer pellets which costs me 10.00 for 50 pounds at the moment to all ages and am concerned about the calcium for the non layers. I also have eggshells on the side so they are getting that calcium too.
I also notice that some feed chick grower but the elevator only sells it as medicated. Is that not a good idea for long term use?

I see that some ferment all flock. My question is can you ferment 22% protein game bird grower finisher crumble to feed chicks pullets and layers? Of which I have 47 so I need to watch the prices.
I can buy all flock for 16.00 at TSC for 50 pound bag or for 12.00 I can get 50 pound bAg of game bird from my local grain elevator. I am fermenting layer pellets which costs me 10.00 for 50 pounds at the moment to all ages and am concerned about the calcium for the non layers. I also have eggshells on the side so they are getting that calcium too.
I also notice that some feed chick grower but the elevator only sells it as medicated. Is that not a good idea for long term use?
I ferment the poult and chick starter.... they get it from day one

The girls didn't seem to care for fermented feed for a bit so I was feeding wet food instead. I decided to ferment some corn free pigeon feed and fed it as a snack. It was liked well enough that I used the leftover liquid to jumpstart some crumbles again. They were gobbling it down this morning :yesss:

Back
Top Bottom