FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I originally did weight...but I found that there really wasn't enough difference to make it overly complicated....my scoop numbers 'by weight' were immeasurably different than just plain scoops. Sooooo...I do parts by volume.

You'll have more variance in a scoop size than the difference in the weight of 1 part vs 1 scoop of an appropriate size.

I originally did weight...but I found that there really wasn't enough difference to make it overly complicated....my scoop numbers 'by weight' were immeasurably different than just plain scoops. Sooooo...I do parts by volume.

You'll have more variance in a scoop size than the difference in the weight of 1 part vs 1 scoop of an appropriate size.
Thanks!

I did that too, with the recipe I figured out. I started by weighing, then counted out how many coffee canisters (my scoop) I used of each for a 50 lb batch. I'm not sure the one has any reliable correspondence with the other though, depending on the specific ingredient. :oops: I'm not good at math (I did all right in school then promptly forgot it all), so I don't really know when to worry about these things. At any rate, it's a lot easier to do, not weighing everything. 💕

Thanks!

I did that too, with the recipe I figured out. I started by weighing, then counted out how many coffee canisters (my scoop) I used of each for a 50 lb batch. I'm not sure the one has any reliable correspondence with the other though, depending on the specific ingredient. :oops: I'm not good at math (I did all right in school then promptly forgot it all), so I don't really know when to worry about these things. At any rate, it's a lot easier to do, not weighing everything. 💕

For sure! Just trust the mix by volume. Its more than close enough.

I'm actually heading up to the feed mill this afternoon to pick up my first three bags of my pre-mixed recipe. $13/50lbs and I dont have to mix it?

Oh hell yes lol.

Hello, I fermented my first batch of feed mixed with scratch. Smells GREAT but had a thick covering of white Scoby. I stirred it at least once a day for 4 days. Is this fine for them?

I was draining it through a colander and they REALLY wanted it!! I let them take just a few nibbles, but put it away until I read more about this thick, white top layer of Scoby. I initially tried to scoop it out, but it started breaking up. It eventually broke down into the mash.

So if it's good to feed, then what? Use the gruel type fermented feed, and save the liquid for my next batch or what? Thanks! ✌️

White yeast on top is fine. I don't know that I'd call it a SCOBY. I think those generally are more cohesive but yes, I think I know what you mean. I get that sometimes on fermenting veggies and more rarely on fermenting feed. I just stir it in. Neither the birds nor I have suffered any ill effects so far as I can tell.

Hello, I fermented my first batch of feed mixed with scratch. Smells GREAT but had a thick covering of white Scoby. I stirred it at least once a day for 4 days. Is this fine for them?

I was draining it through a colander and they REALLY wanted it!! I let them take just a few nibbles, but put it away until I read more about this thick, white top layer of Scoby. I initially tried to scoop it out, but it started breaking up. It eventually broke down into the mash.

So if it's good to feed, then what? Use the gruel type fermented feed, and save the liquid for my next batch or what? Thanks! ✌
Good to feed, use the liquid and some feed for the starter. Next time with the starter, backslop, it will be ready in 12 hrs
I make mine dryer, I use this method https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

Good to feed, use the liquid and some feed for the starter. Next time with the starter, backslop, it will be ready in 12 hrs
I make mine dryer, I use this method https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/
Yes, I make mine drier than that also. I had never heard of draining it. I just pour the feed into the half-filled (with water) bucket, mix until gruel-like, add more water and feed until the bucket is full to within 4-5" of the rim. It thickens as it sits.

The top layer was THICK, almost reminded me of a slice of mozzarella or provolone cheese laying across the top. It broke apart as I tried to lift it out, so I just stirred it up into the mix.

I strained the mix because I didn't want them eating a bunch of messy slop. I wanted to scatter it like you do with scratch and see if they ate the lentils and other stuff they were usually leaving. They did. Some don't like the little lentils, but most ate them since they are softer now.

I started a second batch from the drained juices of the first batch. Thanks so much for your help!! Just didn't want to get my gang sick! ✌️

The top layer was THICK, almost reminded me of a slice of mozzarella or provolone cheese laying across the top. It broke apart as I tried to lift it out, so I just stirred it up into the mix.

I strained the mix because I didn't want them eating a bunch of messy slop. I wanted to scatter it like you do with scratch and see if they ate the lentils and other stuff they were usually leaving. They did. Some don't like the little lentils, but most ate them since they are softer now.

I started a second batch from the drained juices of the first batch. Thanks so much for your help!! Just didn't want to get my gang sick! ✌

Remember, part of the point of fermenting is to ensure a more equal distribution of nutrients. My birds don't just pick out the BOSS like a lot do. They actually don't seem to care what part they're eating as long as it goes in their face lol.

Here's a picture of today's feed mix before carrying it to the barn...and after (it settles and the water rises). You can also see yesterday's feed trough pecked clean...and a filled trough for comparison.

20200916_093232.jpg
20200916_093457.jpg

20200916_093728.jpg

Back
Top Bottom