Fermented food

With FF you have to be really careful how you make it. The food has to always be completely submerged underwater. If it expands over the water line and it makes contact with air then bacteria will grow. I did back slopping, where you start with about 2-3 days worth of FF, let it ferment for 3 days, and fed their days worth to them. Once I took food out, I replaced it with more food, then mixed it up and added a little more water if needed. Because some of it was already fermented, it ferments the new food and water incredibly fast. About once every 3-4 weeks or if it ever smells bad, dump it and start a new batch. I only have 3 chickens right now, so I used a 1.5 gallon jar with a lid. Plastic seems to have a talent of storing bacteria well, so try to use something metal or glass with a towel over it to keep flies out if you can. The one I had wasn’t fully sealed, so air could get it which is necessary. I know a lot of people simply put it in plastic 5 gallon buckets with a thin towel and a large rubber band around it to keep it on. If you only have plastic, then start a new batch every 2-3 weeks. As stated above, it can have It’s issues if you let bacteria or flies get into it, but if it is made well it’s really healthy and the birds absolutely love it.
Got it, I guess I wasn’t looking at a true ferment. I was looking at 4 tubs mixed to set rotating through the numbers every day so they would have 4 day old food at the longest. Keeping completely submerged as you described this is more of a mash I suppose not a ferment. As I was thinking you certainly describe ferment

I've just joined this superbly helpful site. I purchased three chickens earlier in the week. The farmer gave me a bag of Organic Compound Pelleted feed ( still trying to work out what's in it) and said it was a complete food. She recommended some ACV in water and a few scraps of veggies Thats it. After reading several threads on here, I realise I need ( and want) to do so much more for the three chickens.
Can someone explain what "wet mash" is? I understand the fermented food part - a good idea. So have just bought dried worm meal, mixed bird feed (scratch) and will use these with pellets to ferment. But not sure what mash is.
I would also be grateful to understand what times the birds should be fed? Is there a particular time to feed them or not feed them that can have an impact on their desire to lay eggs? I've read so much that have confused myself....

I've just joined this superbly helpful site. I purchased three chickens earlier in the week. The farmer gave me a bag of Organic Compound Pelleted feed ( still trying to work out what's in it) and said it was a complete food. She recommended some ACV in water and a few scraps of veggies Thats it. After reading several threads on here, I realise I need ( and want) to do so much more for the three chickens.
Can someone explain what "wet mash" is? I understand the fermented food part - a good idea. So have just bought dried worm meal, mixed bird feed (scratch) and will use these with pellets to ferment. But not sure what mash is.
I would also be grateful to understand what times the birds should be fed? Is there a particular time to feed them or not feed them that can have an impact on their desire to lay eggs? I've read so much that have confused myself....

Welcome! To make it simple.

Mash can range from being fermented to being made fresh and served. So some mash could be fermented feed but not all fermented feed is mash. Mash in general...just isn't drained. While the fermented feed others are talking about involves an inch or two of water over the top so it needs to be drained. But the ingredients are generally all the same. Many people just find fermented mash easier for them as you just scoop and serve.

When I first started I used a mash no strain method listed below
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ter-easy-fermented-feed-method-w-video.65375/

But I just felt I wanted a higher acidic environment, and I didn't want to add ACV, so I switched to a fully submerged strain method. Does that help?

Also no, I get a good amount of eggs. I offer feed as soon as they come out of the coop and all day.

Last edited:
Welcome! To make it simple.

Mash can range from being fermented to being made fresh and served. So some mash could be fermented feed but not all fermented feed is mash. Mash in general...just isn't drained. While the fermented feed others are talking about involves an inch or two of water over the top so it needs to be drained. But the ingredients are generally all the same. Many people just find fermented mash easier for them as you just scoop and serve.

When I first started I used a mash no strain method listed below
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ter-easy-fermented-feed-method-w-video.65375/

But I just felt I wanted a higher acidic environment, and I didn't want to add ACV, so I switched to a fully submerged strain method. Does that help?

Also no, I get a good amount of eggs. I offer feed as soon as they come out of the coop and all day.

Yes, thats very helpful. Thank you :) I'll try both methods. I'm still unsure of what mash is... is it oatmeal? Apologies for sounding so ridiculous. I'm a newbie. In the video, the dry stuff looked like mashed up cornmeal or oatmeal...

Yes, thats very helpful. Thank you :) I'll try both methods. I'm still unsure of what mash is... is it oatmeal? Apologies for sounding so ridiculous. I'm a newbie. In the video, the dry stuff looked like mashed up cornmeal or oatmeal...

Actually different people (and companies) define mash differently. When I say mash (or whole grain mash) I'm talking feed like this: https://www.scratchandpeck.com/wp-c...eds-naturally-free-organic-layer-18square.jpg

Mash can also mean ground down feed before it's pelleted.

I do a very simplified form of fermenting. Simply put water and feed in a container, stir, and let it sit. I can eyeball water to feed ratio pretty well to make for a thick, stuff oatmeal consistency. I don't add anything else, I don't drain. I start feeding from day one and depending on how much I made, it can last 3 days, or 7 days. Once the container is near bottom, I add more feed, more water, and it starts up again.

oh! Usually mash or fermented feed is created using chicken crumble or pellets. Though some people may ferment a whole grain mix or do a 50/50 or whatever their recipe is. If you are fermenting as the main source of food and don't feel like figuring out your own recipe to make sure they have the right amount of protein, fiber, calcium, other nutrients. Then just use an UNMEDICATED feed of your choice that has the right protein and other things.

Actually different people (and companies) define mash differently. When I say mash (or whole grain mash) I'm talking feed like this: https://www.scratchandpeck.com/wp-c...eds-naturally-free-organic-layer-18square.jpg

Mash can also mean ground down feed before it's pelleted.

I do a very simplified form of fermenting. Simply put water and feed in a container, stir, and let it sit. I can eyeball water to feed ratio pretty well to make for a thick, stuff oatmeal consistency. I don't add anything else, I don't drain. I start feeding from day one and depending on how much I made, it can last 3 days, or 7 days. Once the container is near bottom, I add more feed, more water, and it starts up again.

Very true. It is a very general term. if we were on a different board some people might think we were talking about the second stage of alcohol making. ;)
There is certainly no one meaning to the word mash.

"Wet mash" is one of those silly chicken terms, it's the resulting product of adding water to a serving of chicken feed, letting it fully absorb for a couple of minutes, then it's ready to serve. And yes, it looks all mashed up :)

Sure candida can live in mildly acidic environments. But it thrives in alkaline environments. Which is why when your PH gets thrown off you are more likely to get a yeast infection... but sorry to hear about your roosters low immunity, you did a great job listening to your vet. Hope the rooster is thriving now.

Yeah he is all Recovered now it takes 2 months for the healing I started of with fluconazole & Clotrimzole but it seems resistance so then I started using tannic acid lotion and apply in his beak where he had the lesion ( nothing else seems affected except the upper portion of his beak)
Tannic acid & glycerine lotion work well it clears within 3-5 days

..i.still don't know how to balance their pH cause most people suggest acv in water I always give acv .I still avoiding acidic , high carb foods for him just scared Candida is really stubborn

"Wet mash" is one of those silly chicken terms, it's the resulting product of adding water to a serving of chicken feed, letting it fully absorb for a couple of minutes, then it's ready to serve. And yes, it looks all mashed up :)
ok, got it - thank for clearing that up. Ive been doing exactly that with the pellets I have... the only downside is that my Cuckoo Maran seems to have very soft poop since starting the mash. Might rotate between mash and dry pellets/grains...... its all a learning experience thank for your advice :)

Back
Top Bottom