Fermenting chicken feed, Good idea?

Have you heard of fermented feed?

• Total voters
Pics
Apr 29, 2020
Casper, Wyoming
I have been looking for ways to lower our chicken feed bill and I came across the Idea of fermenting chicken feed. Does anyone use this method? Will chickens get drunk off of it? and is this a good idea? :confused:
Fermented Chicken Feed | The Health Benefits | A Farm Girl in the Making

I think fermented feed probably offers minimal benefits to egg layers and heritage hens, while for meat birds it's leaps and bounds better than feeding a dry ration and the differences are obvious and huge.

ChocolateMouse does an amazing job of putting that in laymen’s terms. I would suggest, though, that the benefit to ALL chickens (and most other creatures, us included) comes from the fermentation process increasing the nutritional availability of the food by boosting the gut flora.

It doesn’t have to be that complicated. And I think the feeder you’ve made from the plastic jug will work great. I’m going to make one like it. Thanks for the idea! :thumbsup

Ditto. And it isn’t that complicated. Forget the cheese cloth and distilled water. You don’t need it. Throw some feed in a container, cover it with water. And let it sit for about three days.

I’m trying to find an article that got me going... it was great.

FOUND IT!! https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

It was from another thread here on BYC, so I don’t want to take the credit. But it will answer ALL your questions!

Last edited:
Can you explain why?

Sure. Meat birds grow at an exponential rate that makes their musculature outstrip their bones and organs causing frequent body failures, injuries and death.
Fermenting the feed expands its volume without dramatically changing the calorie content, forcing the chickens to eat less, naturally, without feeling starved and they grow slower. Additionally the standard broilers digestive system is less efficient IMO than an egg hen. Anyone thats seen a broiler chicken poo knows it comes out grainy and soupy, almost like it's less digested. The pre digestion that takes place with fermented feed helps mitigate this - the broilers have more solid poos despite their health issues. I've never had a problem with an egg hen eating so much so quickly that it could not digest properly.

The one big overlap fermented feed has for egg layers vs broilers is that its wet consistency helps during times of year when dehydration is more prevalent like summer and winter. My broiler chickens were guzzling gallons of water per day and fermented feed allowed their waterers to stay full longer and they were always well hydrated. My egg hens rarely have dehydration issues.

It does help prevent some waste, especially if you feed crumbles but since I only feed a bit more than what my hens will eat in an hour anyhow, very little is wasted. Because it prevents waste, I do like it for chicks as it tends to keep the brooder cleaner.

I think fermented feed probably offers minimal benefits to egg layers and heritage hens, while for meat birds it's leaps and bounds better than feeding a dry ration and the differences are obvious and huge.

I have been looking for ways to lower our chicken feed bill and I came across the Idea of fermenting chicken feed. Does anyone use this method? Will chickens get drunk off of it?

Main cost savings that I've seen is reducing waste. Mine waste a bit of feed if everything is fed dry, like 5%, but fermenting is a good way to use up all the feed (so down to maybe 1% waste), and to force them to eat everything in the mix, especially if you're using a whole grain mash like the one in your photo.

No they won't get drunk. You're not making alcohol.

I watched a quick video and it said that you have a jar, feed, and distilled water, cover with cheesecloth, and let sit. How long do you let it sit? How do you know it's ready? How bad does it smell?

Everyone has different ways of making it. Like I don't cover my jar any longer (only need to cover to keep bugs out).

I make it as uncomplicated as possible: I just put water and feed in a jar (ratios vary, I eyeball it... my goal is a thick oatmeal consistency with no extra standing water), stir, and start serving the next day, and serve until I run out. At that point I just add more feed, more water, and repeat the process.

Honestly I can't smell it anymore. It can have a bready or yeasty or even slightly sour smell.

Oh, haha, I mostly wing things. Feed, scratch mix, meal worms, oat meal, sunflower seeds, corn starch and eggs (shell and all) mushed together and baked.

I also like to make balls of fresh veggies either with wrapping them or tying them together or hanging them in wire baskets.

I also grow fodder/sprouts in the winter so they get fresh greens.

Yes, I’ve done it.

Very, very, very easy. The chicks and chickens LOVE it, even though it looks and smells disgusting.

I would go back to it if I could find a way to feed the damn stuff. But my bonehead babies insisted on walking through it every time I served it... and made a huge mess.
I have a milk jug feeder...
IMG-2001.jpg

You can't see as well in this pic, but there's a big hole in the front of the jug.
Do you think I could feed it in this?

The fermentation process makes everything easier to digest, also adds probiotics. I sprout a huge bucket of wheat, feeding from it the day after I start it, (before it sprouts) then cover it with water, and continue to feed from it, by the time it starts to get stinky it’s almost all eaten. I start another bucket when the first bucket is half done

Back
Top Bottom