Fermenting chicken feed, Good idea?

Have you heard of fermented feed?

• Total voters
I have been looking for ways to lower our chicken feed bill and I came across the Idea of fermenting chicken feed. Does anyone use this method? Will chickens get drunk off of it? and is this a good idea? :confused:
Fermented Chicken Feed | The Health Benefits | A Farm Girl in the Making
What is it ??

Yes, I’ve done it.

Very, very, very easy. The chicks and chickens LOVE it, even though it looks and smells disgusting.

I would go back to it if I could find a way to feed the darn stuff. But my bonehead babies insisted on walking through it every time I served it... and made a huge mess.

Man, I just wet down some food so that I could mush it up and supplement feed a weak chick. The next day my husband was SCREAMING at me to change the bedding in the brooder box. I did and the smell was still there. I didn't realize I had forgotten the little bowl of wet food in there and you ain't lying about how bad it smells!

I notice that around my waterers, that the chickens will always go crazy pecking for the food that has soaked up some of the excess water.

I've heard of people doing it in buckets and rotating them out but I think that would be too much for me. Maybe just mixing up their food with some water a little bit before I feed them would work ok?

I've been fermenting feed for about a year. The chickens like it more. I've seen clickbait that you can save 50% on feed but have only heard people get about 25% savings.
No they will not get drunk as long as you dont add yeast and cook it in a barrel lol.

It's like pickles not moonshine.. any ideas.. I could use some moonshine. Chickens love it.. Saves me a full 66% feed bill.. Some say 50%.. It is a matter of adjustment. If you ferment the amount you normally feed.. You will have too much.. What the chickens don't eat in a single day, you need to reduce till they do. Healthier happier chickens and thereby better eggs and meat.. less poo too. Better odor.. If there is one.. and no more naked ladies.. Fermenting smells a might, so you trade one for the other.. buck it up.

I have been doing ff for a few months now and love doing it for my four birds. I have two coffee cans and only ferment for 48 hours (I live in florida )so make one can a day and alternate them. I also use a one gallon paint strainer and I just lift it out drain it and pace it in the dog bowel also feed black soldier fly larva most days they wait to eat the ff if they think I going to give the the bsf larva
Pete
what is black soldier fly?? Do you breed it yourself? Is it something only in USA? I'm in the UK.

I use Scratch and Peck, too, and they like it. I tried fermenting it, but even after 4 or 5 days, it only smells like wet feed. I have yet to get the "yeasty" smell, and the added vitamin mix makes it a bit. . . gloppy?
A small amount will ferment much quicker. Try making a starter using only about half a cup of feed and slightly warm water and put it somewhere warm. After 2 to 3 days it should have started to ferment and you can double up the quantities each day. I would describe the smell as being more akin to vinegar than yeast.

what is black soldier fly?? Do you breed it yourself? Is it something only in USA? I'm in the UK.
black soldier fly are just about all over the world mostly in tropic and sub tropic climates . not sure if they are as far north as you. They are a fly that only eats in the larva state and live a short time as a adult there is a million of videos on u tube . you just pace food waist in a bin and if there in your area you will get them they may also be in you compost pile

I ferment my feed and love doing it. Scratch and Peck Feeds has some great links and information about it. I have to be careful in the summer as if you let it ferment too long in the heat

I feed scratch and peck too. But I swear I have the weirdest chickens in the world. Promise. I very carefully fermented the feed, But they won’t eat it. They take a couple of pecks and then walk away.

If you can believe this, they also will not eat scratch, nor dried mealworms. I’m so disgusted I can hardly see straight.

Back
Top Bottom