Fermenting Feed 101 For Dummies

Chiks N Stiks

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2015
Out In The Sticks
Is it good for layers and meaties?

Do layers and meaties require different recipes?

Will the dogs eat it? (Of course they will. They eat everything.) Will it hurt the dogs/cats when they eat it?

Will it change the quality of the meat or the egg?

Cons?

How do I get started?

Last edited:
If you type it in search you will find threads that discuss this and walk you through it.
1. YES, it breaks down the nutrients to make them more absorbable which is great for all chickens, ducks, etc
2. Do you normally feed them different feed?
3. Does chicken feed hurt the dogs when they eat it?
4. If anything they will improve
5. If you do it wrong it molds blech! It also smells when fermenting...
6. To get started get a container... do you eat yogurt? Use an empty big yogurt container, or butter container etc. Then fill it about half way with feed, then cover the feed with water, then check back in an hour to ensure the feed is still covered in water (to prevent molding). Keep the feed covered in water and it takes a while to ferment. To speed up fermentation you can buy apple cider vinegar with the mother, if it doesn't have the mother it won't help.

Other threads will be more thorough with more tips and stuff, I'm just regurgitating some of the info I have read. I'm trying to ferment feed now (last time I kept having a mold issue).

I'm doing it now so I'm hoping this batch doesn't mold. I always put water over my chickens feed anyway (to stop them from wasting it), so they are used to the texture!

I am having trouble getting my second batch of peeps to eat the fermented feed. I have tried putting some out of the bowl. sprinkling the dry (which they love, all around the bowl). I'm afraid their not getting enough to eat.

It will definitely freeze, but that's the only con I've come across so far! My dog doesn't pay much attention to it (but he is inside most of the time). I do put cayenne pepper in mine (either mixed in or sprinkled on top) because I don't want the squirrels to get any bright ideas. I wonder if that would keep the dog out of it as well?

I am having trouble getting my second batch of peeps to eat the fermented feed. I have tried putting some out of the bowl. sprinkling the dry (which they love, all around the bowl). I'm afraid their not getting enough to eat.
Mine LOVE it. If you hadn't already tried sprinkling I would suggest that. I would force a couple to take a bit to make them try it... some of my chickens are real standoffish with new food until they see someone else eating it! If you have barley or bird seed I'd suggest sprinking some of that on top or mixing it up so the birds can see it in there but its a part of the fermented feed. I'm making my current batch with some.

Back
Top Bottom