Fermenting feed for layers?

We fermented the pig feed for years, and I didn't even realize it.

I have done an experiment over the past 2 weeks, concerning whether or not feeding fermented feed will save you money...... Our hours at work have been cut by a third. I have to watch every penny to keep from having to dip into savings. I guestimated how much feed to fed daily to cut my feed to 2 bags per month. I was feeding the pellets dry because of trying to ferment feed in winter. After 3 days on 2 cans of feed per day, I realized that they were not getting enough feed. So, I started fermenting their feed again. I am fermenting the two cans of feed now, and when I went to the barn today, all of the FF from yesterday was gone, BUT when everyone was done eating, there was feed left. And when I went to the barn tonight, there was a little feed left and six eggs in the nest box. So, I and convinced that FF will definitely help on the feed bill!

Yea!!! Any saving is a bonus. You might try fodder as well. Just to see.

Hi all!

I have a question about fermenting feed. Or rather the ACV with the mother. Should I shake the bottle enough to mix the stuff on the bottom of the bottle or just pour it as is?

Thanks for the help!

I'm new to chickens. Fermenting feed makes sense to me as it seems the nutrients would be more easily available. So, I started to do this for our first 2 chicks after a week and the other 6, from day 2. I would say that they just seem so much stronger.

First batch I made, used tap water that had been sitting out for 12 hours (in case their was chlorine in it), starter crumble and Bragg's acv. I stirred for 5 days before I saw a change. The next I did in a mason jar with a spoon of the original batch, distilled water and it was less than a day before it was active. Is it a concern that I seal this jar? Someone mentioned it should be open. But, it seemed to take forever in the unsealed container.

You definitely need to let it breathe. The contents will expand and it will gas off. If it is sealed, a glass container will explode. Not pretty.
The difference could have been that the second had a starter and the first had chlorinated water.
Most parts of the country that have chlorinated water it is chloramine rather than chlorine. Chlorine will gas off by letting it sit. Chloramine won't. The chlorine/ammonia bond must be broken before the chlorine can dissipate.
St. Louis switched to chloramine in the 1930s, Chlorine isn't as stable and the amount needed for water treatment fluctuated.
http://www.drinktap.org/home/water-information/monochloramine/history-of-monochloramine-use.aspx
I use Gro2Max probiotic powder as a starter and their chemists said I should de-chlorinate the water before I use it.
I use Tap Water Conditioner for both fermented feed and for making bees syrup.
http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Tapwa...1&cadevice=c&gclid=COrzjYzL18QCFWYV7AodMEoAKA
It takes one drop per gallon for chlorine and 3 drops for chloramine.

Correct. Also, the bacteria will pull nitrogen out of the air to make new, and better, proteins.

Just made my primary FF tonight, a small batch to begin with. How long can the FF last before you have to backslop? I know I will make more when I am down to a couple servings, but can I make a bunch at a time or will it go bad. I want to make a 5 gallon bucket at a time, not sure how long it will last yet. I have 17 chicks 4 weeks to 2 weeks old. Also want to keep it simple for our pet sitter when we go on vacation this summer. Also how hot is too hot, our summers can get very warm (95-105 avg, little humidity). Will I have to find a cooler place to store it vs outside the coop under shade.

You definitely need to let it breathe. The contents will expand and it will gas off. If it is sealed, a glass container will explode. Not pretty.
The difference could have been that the second had a starter and the first had chlorinated water.
Most parts of the country that have chlorinated water it is chloramine rather than chlorine. Chlorine will gas off by letting it sit. Chloramine won't. The chlorine/ammonia bond must be broken before the chlorine can dissipate.
St. Louis switched to chloramine in the 1930s, Chlorine isn't as stable and the amount needed for water treatment fluctuated.
http://www.drinktap.org/home/water-information/monochloramine/history-of-monochloramine-use.aspx
I use Gro2Max probiotic powder as a starter and their chemists said I should de-chlorinate the water before I use it.
I use Tap Water Conditioner for both fermented feed and for making bees syrup.
http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Tapwa...1&cadevice=c&gclid=COrzjYzL18QCFWYV7AodMEoAKA
It takes one drop per gallon for chlorine and 3 drops for chloramine.

I was concerned about the chlorine, but thought if it had it, it would dissipate. We have well water, so I am not sure whether it applies.

Also, interesting that you mention that. We were traveling. In a pinch, I added some water with their probiotics in it. A few hours later, i noticed leaking from the jar. When I opened, it expanded a bit more.

There is a good bit of misleading information on that blog and you might find another site more comprehensive on the topic.  Others that followed the advice on the blog you've cited have either had dangerous mishaps with exploding glass jars or needlessly laborious rituals associated with their fermenting efforts due to the false information. 

Here's a better site for information on it:  https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

Thank you, this was helpful .

Back
Top Bottom