Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

An amazing dog!! How did you train him/her? With some breeds, I think guarding is innate, but others, I've read, have to be trained.

Took all of 20 min. or so when he was around 5 mo. old. Before I trained him on chickens, though, he was trained on basic commands and taught who buys the feed around here.
big_smile.png
That's the most important part of training a dog around YOUR chickens....gotta make sure they know what is yours and that what is yours is not theirs. Can't be touched, cannot be even looked at with doggy yearning. Not even once, even a casual glance or stroll in that direction, when doing the initial training. Later on they can pay attention to the chickens and the different squawks and alarms, but in the beginning they need to leave that be. It needs to be engraved upon their brain that you are peeved if they are interested in the chickens in any way.

I first held a chicken on my lap and called him over, let him sniff the butt end all he wanted(Jake's a huge proponent of the butt sniff) and let him really get his nose in there, then I switched ends on him...and that hen pecked his nose, but good! First lesson. When that happened, I told him these were MY chickens, in a stern voice.

Then I tied a chicken's legs and let it lie down in the yard next to the dog's living area and watched what he did when it flapped or flopped around, any interest in the actions of the chickens got a stern "MY CHICKEN", which would make him duck his head and move away. Then I just turned and went in the house, leaving the chicken out there, still occasionally hopping and flapping for balance on his tied legs. I sat by a window and each time Jake would turn his head towards the antics of the bird, I'd yell out the window "MY CHICKEN!!!" in my most stern voice...he would duck his head and run back to his house. A little time went by and he ventured out and walked by the chicken, a very casual stroll and carefully not looking directly at the chicken...when he got level with the bird, I shouted the whole "my chicken" correction and he ran back to his house. The next time he came out of his house, he walked by the chicken with his head carefully averted in the opposite direction. And that's all it took..he never really looked at the chickens again with any degree of interest or eagerness to approach them.

That's how smart these Labs and Lab mix dogs can be...once they know you are boss, then you let them know it upsets you if they pay any attention to a chicken, they seem to remember that for a lifetime. Jake is 8 yrs old now and has never broke training, though he does pay attention to their antics now and again and will walk between two adversaries to break up a fight...just stands there and looks at them like "Really? You wanna do that here, guys?". It's cute.

I do allow him to defend his food, though not aggressively...he's allowed to lunge in their direction and bark if they steal his food, but not allowed to follow through with any kind of chase or bite. I trained him on that in the same way...a stern voice if he took more than a couple of steps in his lunge in their direction. He got the picture really quick...he's a pretty smart dog. Easy to train, those Labs. "Will work for food" is their motto!
big_smile.png

I'm curious to hear what those experienced with large volume FF have to say about this too. I ferment on a much smaller scale in 5 lb buckets because I have a small flock, but I've noticed that there's a certain "cut-off"point when my birds start to reject the feed, presumably because of the flavor. Days 1-4 they love the stuff, and day 5-6 they begin to seem less than enthused with the feed. At that point I flood the remaining FF with water and give it a good stir before adding additional grains, plus red pepper flakes, garlic, cinnamon, more apple cider vinegar, and when I can, whey from yogurt. When I feed them this "re-mix" the next morning they dive into it with gluttonous delight. 

I understand everything else, but what's the cinnamon for?

very interesting article. thank you, do you feed 24 on 24 off and at what age do you start? also can you ferment regular flock starter crumbles? or do you use scratch? we do not have a grainery near by

very interesting article. thank you, do you feed 24 on 24 off and at what age do you start? also can you ferment regular flock starter crumbles? or do you use scratch? we do not have a grainery near by

Don't you have a farm supply or Southern States? I know Michiganders don't want to hear the word "Southern", LMAO, but they handle all of that stuff. My third choice would be Tractor Supply.They're a little higher in price than the other two, but, y'know, "any port in a storm", as they say.

Also, do you have any Amish or Mennonites around? They are wonderful people and they are in the "business" of surviving.

OK I meant 12 on 12 off no no farm supply or southern states. TSC has regular feed and scratch (which are grains) but at least in our area I have not seen a feed in grain form, just crumbles and pellets. we used to have a grainery that had a ground feed very powdery but they went out of business.

OK I meant 12 on 12 off no no farm supply or southern states. TSC has regular feed and scratch (which are grains) but at least in our area I have not seen a feed in grain form, just crumbles and pellets. we used to have a grainery that had a ground feed very powdery but they went out of business.

Crumbles and pellets are good for FF.

Jump back to the front of this thread and read forward.

That powdery stuff woulda been good stuff, too.

TTYTT, to tell you the truth, I wish I'd've known this back in the 80s when I had a few dozen feathered friends I would be a millionaire now. But.... Obviously Frank Perdue figured this out, back in the 70s!

LOL

Last edited:
OK, just read the FF up date, correct me if I am wrong please. I can take a 5 gal. bucket, put in equal parts water and feed, stir 1 to 3 times a day for 3 or 4 days, then feed, when there is only maybe 1/3 left, add again equal parts water and feed, stir well then it will be ready the next day to feed.......... also did I understand I can put out enough feed for several days?

I have about 40 birds so I may need a larger tub to mix feed in,

OK, just read the FF up date, correct me if I am wrong please.    I can take a 5 gal. bucket, put in equal parts water and feed, stir 1 to 3 times a day for 3 or 4 days, then feed,   when there is only maybe 1/3 left, add again equal parts water and feed, stir well then it will be ready the next day to feed.......... also did I understand I can put  out enough feed for several days?

That is how I make it, although I only leave enough to feed them for a few hours. I feed 2x a day. My feed will spoil if left in the heat that long.

OK, just read the FF up date, correct me if I am wrong please. I can take a 5 gal. bucket, put in equal parts water and feed, stir 1 to 3 times a day for 3 or 4 days, then feed, when there is only maybe 1/3 left, add again equal parts water and feed, stir well then it will be ready the next day to feed.......... also did I understand I can put out enough feed for several days?

Yep. Most folks only put out enough to feed for several days when they are going away from home for awhile. Usually it's fed once per day. There is a thread where they have made a bulk feeder from a 5 gal. bucket for feeding more than a daily ration of FF.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/931194/fermented-feed-feeder

Back
Top Bottom