Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Folks who believe that there is a gain to be made by fermenting chicken feed are ignorant of fundamental chemistry. This evaluation is fundamental and the evidence is empirical. Give it up for you are wasting great sums of your own resources and finances if using this practice; and while you are at it realize that as much as a third of your feeds values are lost by concentrating the remaining leftovers via fermentation. For your own sake and that of your pocketbook eschew the fermented food scam. Believe me that those of us who understand the chemistry are really on your side.
My best wishes for and to ALL of our BYC members,
Neal, the Zooman (and retired professor of zoology and animal science)

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I would respectfully disagree.

After trying fermented feed, seeing my chickens eat less, thus reducing my feed bill, in addition to the droppings having virtually no smell...seems like a win-win to me. Big deal if it takes a tiny bit more time. If you are looking to maximize you time, don't raise chickens. Caring for them takes up time. We are wiling to put a little more time and effort into feeding our chickens using methods that a proven to yield great results.

Last edited:
The only 'scientific' research I have to offer is 13 hens walking around in a good state of health. Things that convinced me, improved body condition, quicker molting, better feather condition, laying is resumed quicker because of efficient molting, hatch rate went up, healthier hatched chicks, shell quality improved and the real biggy ????? Feed consumption decreased by at least 30%.

Let's see what other FF feeding BYC members can add.

I use it too so I'm not disagreeing. I don't use it as a complete feed because I'd prefer my birds get more from free ranging. Free ranging birds that fill their crop with bugs and grasses & standing green millet, barley, alfalfa and wheat are much healthier than those that I once kept penned with only fermented grains.

Fermenting works in so many ways. Ha. In order to keep gassiness out of eating beans you must soak them overnight and pour off the water. Some people take it further and soak them two days or even three. This creates a fermented product that even when cooked, you still get the extra nutritional absorbment. Most third world countries do this to feed their babies. Grains aspectally. They have been doing this for thousands of years
Now we are incorperating this into the poultry business. It's a win win situation as they eat less after absorbing more nutrients in their system.
Saves us money, time and having to fill the waterers less. :D

Good point on the beans....we eat a lot of fermented food without even knowing or thinking about it... Its goid for our intestinal flora, our ph, helps regulate digestion...my chooks deserve to be regular too haha ;)

w
Quote:
Hi Linda,
I guess my point was that since Neal was claiming scientific reasons to NOT use fermented feed that instead of laughing at him, those more studious points should be referenced.

I use fermented feed too and am aware of what it does, how, and why it is worth the effort.

Unless you can disagree in a civil manner without name calling, this thread will be closed.

I have cleaned up a good bit of the last few pages.

Having a different opinion is ok. Name calling and flaming is not.

Back
Top Bottom