Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

No, but I've had success in other trade rags (BeeCulture magazine, among others) and this, combined with some quality writing would be everything you need. I used to begin all my articles with research (finding the docs) and then writing around it. Done it so much it's like a formula almost.

<hook>
<midline story with intro to information>
<pre-education>
<fact delivery (with tie in to hook)>
<post education>
<postline story>
<conclusion>

It's not magic nor exactly formula - it's a method that yields entertaining articles.
For examples of what I'm talking about, see my web site - "cracking the pollen case," or "central heat" are the two latest examples. I have a few more but they haven't hit the stands yet and not every editor is kind enough to take 1NASR without online first rights.

WooHoo...I knew I could count on you Beekissed!!!
2665.png
2665.png
2665.png
2665.png

No, but I've had success in other trade rags (BeeCulture magazine, among others) and this, combined with some quality writing would be everything you need. I used to begin all my articles with research (finding the docs) and then writing around it. Done it so much it's like a formula almost.

<hook>
<pre-education>
<post education>
<postline story>
<conclusion>

It's not magic nor exactly formula - it's a method that yields entertaining articles.
For examples of what I'm talking about, see my web site - "cracking the pollen case," or "central heat" are the two latest examples. I have a few more but they haven't hit the stands yet and not every editor is kind enough to take 1NASR without online first rights.

Wow! I'll check out those articles on your website for some examples. Who knows? I might love to write an article like that...if nothing more than to include it in my book I'm writing. Nice to meet an experienced author!
smile.png

<hook>
<pre-education>
<post education>
<postline story>
<conclusion>

Am reading your pollen article right now and am delighted with the humor! You have a great writing style. Satirical and keeps me reading....my favorite kind.

Yes, I agree, hardened shells caused by an acid ferment could be worked around. I haven't heard of that before and was wondering if anyone had additional thoughts on it. For example, I wouldn't do it if the acid would denature nutrients or insufficiently neutralize phytates.

i am a very small chicken flock raiser. my birds do not have access to free-ranging. their run is about 30x40. there are 4 birds & will be a total of nine birds. i am concerned about their nutrition. i have read this entire thread. i am very interested in fermented feed. however, i'm not sure how a small timer like myself goes about it.
for a really small scale do i ferment the chicken feed i buy or do i buy other animal feeds that have the grains y'all are talking about? i have no access to a feed mill & i don't have the number of chickens to justify buying in the bulk y'all talk about.
i'm not sure how to adapt your big scale to a really small scale & keep the nutritional needs met.
my birds do not have the access to bugs/worms to offset any deficiencies i may create by incorrectly building a feed.

BJ, I am fermenting my layers crumbles and also my chick starter, I use Purina SunFresh feed. I will be adding grains (probably wheat, oats and barley) to my mix once my chick starter is gone. I currently have 41 year old layers, 35 CX chicks and 10 pullet chicks. I bet you could buy a bag of scratch and incorporate that into your current feed opposed to buying bulk grains. Just a thought. :)

i am a very small chicken flock raiser. my birds do not have access to free-ranging. their run is about 30x40. there are 4 birds & will be a total of nine birds. i am concerned about their nutrition. i have read this entire thread. i am very interested in fermented feed. however, i'm not sure how a small timer like myself goes about it.
for a really small scale do i ferment the chicken feed i buy or do i buy other animal feeds that have the grains y'all are talking about? i have no access to a feed mill & i don't have the number of chickens to justify buying in the bulk y'all talk about.
i'm not sure how to adapt your big scale to a really small scale & keep the nutritional needs met.
my birds do not have the access to bugs/worms to offset any deficiencies i may create by incorrectly building a feed.

Why not just feed what you are feeding now, only fermented? If there are any questions as to losing nutrients in that particular feed, see the previous page on that question. It's so easy, really....just soak your current feeds until they ferment and then feed them. It doesn't matter how small or how large an amount you are using, it can all be fermented. When I start sourdough to fermenting I just use two cups of flour and some water...leave sit out for a couple of days and I can see the bubbles in the mix and start to smell the fermented cultures growing.

I think I'm having an issue . I am using chick starter, 1/4 cup ACV (organic unfiltered) and water but it is getting a white film on to that looks like mold. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom