Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by shadowmane, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Zootopia

Zootopia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2011
    Abilene, Texas

The smell may be a relative thing too. We have a friend who comes over with a very sensitive nose. To him the smell from a from a recently cleaned brooder box is over powering. I had 4 2 day old chicks in a rubbermaid in the spare room and he wanted to know how we stand the "stench" LOL. I've known him for a long time, he's not being rude, he really just has a very sensitive nose.

2. Pent

Pent Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I've been finding one drawback with the FF, with my ameraucanas. The wet feed gets on their beards, and they end up looking kinda raggedy. It could just be their age; about 7 weeks now.

3. Zootopia

Zootopia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2011
    Abilene, Texas

Ya they tend to "wear" their dinner at that age around here too. We use a slightly dryer mix for the big kids. Oatmeal for the babies, cookie dough for the bigguns.

4. BlueMouse

BlueMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Esperance NY
    Yeah, the ones I have still on ground feed end up with it all over their faces. Once they graduate to being big kids, living outside, and eating whole grains the problem dissapears. I think the higher trough style feeder outside vs. the covered chick feeder inside helps a lot too.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  5. armorfirelady

armorfirelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Hamburg, NY
    My Coop
    My girls were like tha
    t to and they don't have beards. I now keep the food thicker like cookie dough and their feeder is raised so they are cleaner when they eat :)

6. ramblinH

ramblinH Out Of The Brooder

This will be very helpful ~ thank you!

I can definitely say their poop don't stink ;) their coop, along with the deep litter, has a natural earthy smell :)

Thanks for putting my mind at ease on this issue!

7. Something to remember at this time of year too, is that having wet poops is a form of cooling because they drink more water. Still less water than with dry food but it will still cause them to have very wet poops during the heat of the day.

8. deserthomestead

deserthomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Sandy Valley, NV
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANKYOU!

I thought I had a sick bird.. it never even occurred to me that the 102-degree temperature had something to do with it..

9. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    From one "worry wart" to another, you're welcome. hahaha It is easy to stress over them. I do it often myself. :)

10. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Holy cow, you already have 102 degree weather! How hot does it get there at the hottest? I'd like to visit a desert sometime. I bet it is beautiful there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by