Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Mine are eating fermented grains exclusively now. Not because I don't give them the layer, but because they will not eat it. Just won't. What I've done is started with bagged scratch, then added oats, wheat, and soybean meal to bring the protien content up. I'd rather not use the soybean meal but it's really the only high protien grain option I have. But, I've noticed no drop in egg production. They do have a good sized area to range (they can't strip it clean!) and I know they get lots of bugs and greens right now.

They eat astonishing little food though. Eight layers, two broodies, and four babies. The babies are getting chick starter at the moment but will be weaned off it onto some fermented grain as soon as I can do it, probably when this bag runs out. But the eight layers are only eating about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of food each.

Oh and I do have oyster shell and pure soybean meal out as an option. At first they ate a lot of soybean meal but now they don't. So I'm thinking yep, they are self regulating like I heard.

Last edited:
Another thing I didnt' mention is how I cover my fermenting feed. Gnats and flies get in Everything around here if I leave it cracked open a bit. So I just tie the legs of pantyhose off and put the "panty" part over the bucket. How nice, they already have that elastic and everything on them LOL.

This is the way I judge if they are getting adequate nutrition:

Do they have a healthy, meaty appearance? Check.

Do they produce at maximum efficacy on their present ration? Check.

Do they maintain healthy vigor? Check

For me, I am constantly assessing my flock's health and performance, no matter what ration I am feeding. Individual birds have different needs and the flock as a whole changes with the seasons and hormonal fluctuations. Free range supplements many of their nutritional needs but that also changes with the seasons.

I know it seems easy to just feed a bagged, nutritionally balanced feed and not have to worry about it all...but how many people on this forum are doing just that very thing and are still having difficulty with health and production issues? Many. Just because the bag says it's the best and most sound nutrition, doesn't mean it will suit your flock's needs.

Raising chickens is an easy thing but doing it right requires a little more thought, more planning and various adjustments. If one is wanting to do it without losing money, it becomes even more involved...like free ranging, providing for safety while they free range, fermenting grains instead of just feeding dry, milled feeds, preventative health measures, etc.

I might find this doesn't serve my layer flock well and I may add layer mash to my fermented whole grain mix, who knows? For now, I try it and watch to see if it works..how else will I learn?

Here's a pic or two of my fermentation:

Last edited:
Beekissed: It reminds me of people who freak out because we feed our dogs home made dog food (we get raw ground meat including organs and bone meal from the butcher down the road, who raises grass-fed cows, buffalo, and elk, and I mix it with rice and vegetables). "But!" They protest, "how can you be sure they get everything the need!" Meanwhile, one of my dogs is almost 8 years old, has almost zero tartar on her teath, and has never, EVER had a single health issue. In fact, other than vaccinations, my dogs never go to the vet. They are obviously extremely healthy. Somehow I don't think I could improve things by moving them to a processed, corn-based diet.

I agree! Someone on another forum was concerned about me making dog biscuits out of ground chicken heads, bones and feet...said it should be alright to feed to the dog if I gave him enough "muscle tissue" to balance out the calcium.
lol.png
Told her my dog is a real dog and doesn't worry about balancing out his tissues~if I dumped the chicken parts in the garbage pile he'd eat them all in the same day without a thought for muscle tissue. I was just figuring out a way to make them last for him without taking up room in my freezer.
roll.png

i have 5 lbs. of Broiler mash soaking in cheese cloth as we speak. Smells sweet, no bubbles, its been 2 days. The 28 CXs and 8 layers ate 50 lbs in 2 weeks.
So I'm very interested in trying to save money!
Has anyone fermented Mash before? I am using cheese cloth just to hold things together and make it esier to drain, hopefully.
Thanks for the info, will keep you posted.

I fermented chick starter and it had a mash consistency when wet...I actually liked the mash ferment way better than the grains, as it was a great consistency and seemed to ferment much quicker.

With that many birds, you might want to move to a bucket system...it isn't hard to do.

Although I have nothing to compare it too, the chicks (a week and a half old ) have found the fermented mash and seem to enjoy it. I am only starting with a small batch and replenishing the crumbles and water as I use it. Appears to be working fine. My bets are that the chicks that found it to their liking first will also become the better foragers. They were also the first to attack the chick weed I put in their "coop/brooder." Currently they all eat both the FF and the dry crumbles. We'll see what happens. They are growing so fast. they also are learning to drink from a bucket with the chicken nipples. Guess they can't be called dumb clucks!!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom