Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I believe that whether or not the 2 bucket system works for you is largely dependent on whether you are fermenting whole grains or crumbles and meal. Crumbles and finely ground grains plug up the holes and wont' drain well. It does work great with whole grains though.
I've moved to using the paint straining bags for 5 gallon buckets from the paint store for the crumbles. Works much better. Rather than a top bucket, I substitute the bag.
Good point, I ferment a 50/50mix of crumbles and grains.

Last edited:
I plan to try to ferment my feed with a can of beer, a little of ACV (local) and a little yeast. The things that would be best are not available here in Costa Rica so I will try this as a work around. Any comments will help. Also, I like the idea of the 3 bucket method, Wile E, do you stir the goop up when you pour the water on top of the next batch (just to clarify)? That would put the goop from the fines back into the feed and help keep things nice and clean.

I don't actually feed that much FF yet. I only have 15 chicks, 7 are meaties. I ferment mine in a concrete cylinder mold which is 6" in diamter and 1 foot tall. A batch is enough to fill the feeder twice with a little left over to use to start the next batch. MIne is not watery at all, so I don't strain it.

I suggested a three bucket system to get rid of the goop because I thought it would work, not because I have done it. But I doubt you would have to stir it. The water will carry the little critters around to get them working on the feed while depositing most of the fines into the feed so you don't have a buildup.

I started a batch with bread yeast alone and find I like it better than the ACV. It has to be my climate or maybe the buggies in the air but the ACV batches just kept souring on me. I can't say the bread yeast starter batch is perfume to my nose, but it sure is working and I don't mind it at all.

I am using a Gamebird crumble/Scratch Grain mix with an Oatmeal consistancy, so I don't have to drain. I feed out to about 1/4 left (takes about a day and a half, it is a steady 80 -82 degrees in the shed) and I refill the crumble and grains with a little yeast sprinkled in or a glug of Braggs. I am gradually increasing the Grains as the chicks/poults grow. I haven't had any go sour, but I have to be careful how full I get the bucket since it "rises" and I do stir it a couple times a day, as I think about it.

What mix of grains are people using? I am hoping to start using fermented grains for my layers and was wondering what people think would be a good mix for them. I will offer oyster shell on the side of course. I was also thinking that a mix of layer crumble and grains might be better. Any advice?

What mix of grains are people using? I am hoping to start using fermented grains for my layers and was wondering what people think would be a good mix for them. I will offer oyster shell on the side of course. I was also thinking that a mix of layer crumble and grains might be better. Any advice?

I mix screened wheat, barley, oats and corn with my layer crumbles but also offer crumbles free choice in dry form.

I weighed one of my average sized males today and he weighed 8 lbs 1 oz at 8 weeks of age, that is almost a 3 lb weight gain in one week. I do have several females that are as big or bigger. I'm very happy with the FF!!

On a side note....I did lose one of my females Wednesday morning while I was feeding. It was really weird because she was running around and then started making a squaking noise and I thought she had her foot caught under the feeder so grabbed her and she just died in my hands. All of her insides looked completely normal (normal heart, liver, etc), no purple comb and no fluid in the cavity??? Is it possible for a chicken to choke to death in about 10 seconds? Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking a heart attack but I seriously have no clue.

Quote: Do they go thru much of the dry crumble when FF is also on the menu?

My new chicks seem to prefer dry but my last batch wouldn't look at the dry once they sampled FF. Hopefully their tastes will mature to FF.

Until then, my FF bucket with starter is puffing up like bread dough. Smells yummy too.

Last edited:
Holy Toledo! Just got through all 69 pages. Am definitely starting this as soon as I get home. My girls are raggedy after a rough roo, and our new roo came from a picked on home. They could use some help. The turkeys should be pretty excited too - just 8 weeks old - they get excited at about anything.

galanie - so happy to hear the paint strainers work, as that is what I have on hand and was hoping to use.

I have a huge bag of wheat germ from my mealworm project gone awry - any issues with adding this in the mix? Just don't know how to get rid of it, other than another mealworm project.

Thanks Beekissed and everyone for your advice and input. Can't wait to get it going.

Hi Smarcebird - welcome to the thread! There is sure a LOT of great info to glean reading through the whole thing, isn't there?
smile.png
I have been adding wheat germ to my homemade chicken feed for a while now, and I have been fermenting small amounts for several days now, and it seems to be working great! I don't have a LOT of wheat germ in my feed, only about 1-2% of the feed, but I can't see why it would affect the fermenting at all, even in larger amounts. I have not been straining the FF though, just mixing in enough water (and a little ACV) to let it swell into a moist mash.

Here is a picture I took yesterday of our laying chicks (9 weeks old) devouring their evening meal of FF - they absolutely love it, and will start jumping and flying up to my arms if I am too slow about scooping it onto their dishes!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom