Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

We have been unusually hot here too. I set up a soaker hose (the flat ones with little hole poked in them) running down the middle of their pen and they absolutely loved it! They would spend most of the day foraging or laying under the mist from the hose. Not one single bird under there was panting. Killed two birds with one stone, watered my lawn for them to forage in and kept the little fatties cool. Major advantage to having them on grass!! :)

Thats a great idea! I run the sprinkler for them periodically throughout the day; city water $$$
sad.png

Well, we processed the casualties. The 4 found dead went in the freezer for the dogs. The 3 that died in front of us will be our dinner, they're brining right now. We'll have 1 CC and 2 FFC so we'll get to see how different they'll taste.

Processed weights were: 1.953lbs, 1.945, 1.945, 2.164, 1.539, 1.477. I'd like to go reweigh the chicks that are left to see which ones died but I don't want to stress them out even more.

All in all this was good practice for 3 weeks from now, I just don't know what this means for my experiment with only 3 CC left.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that jrsckn - you put so much effort into this. Hopefully you can salvage the experiment.

You could try a fogger attachment in the tractor / shelter. Keeps things cool without using much water. The micro-foggers are close to $1.

There are mister nozzles like the ones they use in the automatic misters in the produce section in the grocery stores available online fairly cheap. most of them have built on filters to keep them from being clogged. I have taken schedule 40 PVC pipe, drilled holes, threaded the holes and mounted the misters in the PVC pipe. You can configure the pipe so it has its own PVC frame to support it or attach your pipe to whatever plus you can set the nozzles to mist up, down or to the side. There are several different sizes of the nozzles available that mist so much water per hour to fit your needs. In California I put them on my eves of my house and around the fence of my yard, they would drop the temp by 15/20 degrees plus water the lawn a little from that height. Put down where the chickens benefit best they do a good job of watering the lawn. You can get hose end adapters that fit the PVC pipe so you can attach your garden hose to move your chicken mister where ever it is needed.
old.gif

Great ideas, thanks!

I just got done taking care of all the chickens and garden. The meaties are spending the day in the cool garage, hopefully it stays that way.Thanks to the storm that rolled through at 4am, I had to re-plant my tomatoes, beans, peppers, and even some corn. I'm grateful for the cool down and water but I could've done without the 60mph winds! Hopefully my yellow crunchy stuff in the yard will turn green and become grass again
gig.gif

Good luck to everyone on keeping yourselves and animals cool today
fl.gif

Last edited:
I have been reading through this thread and I think I want to try feeding FF to my 9 week old chicks. I am thinking of doing a 50/50 mix of the crumbles with some grains. Can I use bread yeast instead of UP/ACV? I have plenty of yeast but no ACV. How much yeast would I add to get the fermenting started? My thinking is to start the bucket tonight and feed it tomorrow for the evening meal. Currently I am free feeding the grower crumbles dry and I usually give them some fresh greens, grains, and dinner scraps around 7:00pm each night.

This ff sounds like a great way to enrich their food while saving a little on the cost of the feed.

Thanks to the contributors for the wealth of information on this thread.

Can I use bread yeast instead of UP/ACV? I have plenty of yeast but no ACV. How much yeast would I add to get the fermenting started? My thinking is to start the bucket tonight and feed it tomorrow for the evening meal. Currently I am free feeding the grower crumbles dry and I usually give them some fresh greens, grains, and dinner scraps around 7:00pm each night.
I started my FF with about a teaspoon of yeast in some warm water. I waited till the yeast was showing bubbles then put that in my plastic bucket. I added some water (if you are on city water make sure you allow it to dechlorinate before adding it to the yeast mixture) and then some grain. I added some sugar so the yeast would have something that would allow it to multiply fast. I added some fine ground chicken feed (I cannot get crumbles near my home) and more water. To get things happening faster I put my containers on top of my fridge where it is nice and warm. After getting things fermenting quickly you can put the containers anywhere as it will always ferment just slower the cooler it gets. I'm still experimenting with how long to ferment where I put my containers and how much fermentation the flock likes. I got real lucky in that the container (plastic trash cans) hold way more than my flock needs plus I have a large strainer that fits snugly in the top of the container. I can pour the 2/3s contents of one container into the strainer and allow it to drain while I do other things. After I transfer the FF from the strainer I stir what was left in the first container then add that to what drained from the strainer. I rinse the first container dumping that into the new batch and add the same amount of feed and water. I check the new batch after a few hours to make sure there is water standing on top and add water if necessary. There are always bubbles indicating that the mash is still fermenting in the oldest batch I have which is now going on 72 hours. That batch will be fed in the morning to see how the chickens like it aged that long. I will then let another batch age 96 hours to see if they like it better or less. It seems like the guinea hens like it anyway as long as it is moist, maybe they like the fermentation results, the stronger the better!
droolin.gif

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply Costa Rica. I just started my first batch with a little yeast and sugar. I used a cup of scratch grains and a cup of the crumbles to start. I will see who this goes and work from there.

I've read this thread from the beginning over a few days. I was so disappointed when I got to the end and there was no more to read! I kept hitting the refresh button hoping for another post. :)

I've started fermenting wheat and cracked corn for my little flock as a supplement. They love it! Really glad to have learned about this.

Back
Top Bottom