Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I have a question for you guys. My white leghorn and ancona roosters had big combs that flopped over to one side, especially the leghorn. Now their combs are standing straight as can be. What's up with that, nutritional maybe?

They flop more when it's hot...getting cooler where you live?

Thank you. Any guesses on breed? They were labelled Production Reds. The hens all seem to be Red Stars.

Looks like a hatchery genetics RIR to me...some call those production reds.

Thank you. Any guesses on breed? They were labelled Production Reds. The hens all seem to be Red Stars.

Here is the other one.

Since pumpkins have been brought up, can anyone tell me, if feeding pumpkin, how often and how much should be fed to chickens ? Also, what are the benefits of feeding it ? Thanks.

Whenever you wish, though too much veggies at once can make for loose stool at times and pumpkins are big, so just go low and slow. I had a flock of 30 and they could eat a medium pumpkin that had been fermented in 2-3 days so it can take them a bit to get through one. I'd just let them have one now and again and they really seem to appreciate them more in Jan/Feb. Then it's been a long time since any good, meaty vegs so they really go hog wild later in the winter for them.

Benefits are supplemental nutrition that can be grown at home, stored for later and can often be picked up for free after Halloween is done. The pumpkin seeds are a natural antihelmintic so that's a bonus. Pumpkins are chock full of vitamins, so you can't really go wrong there.

Our predators don't seem to be that brave yet. I bet that can be frustrating.

The grey foxes don't bother me. I think they are kind of cool, though I know they will certainly take a chicken given an opportunity. The raccoon's on the other hand are my sworn enemy. They are smarter and more manipulative, able to work latches and doors. Plus I lost a dog years ago to a rabid raccoon so it's war.

Whenever you wish, though too much veggies at once can make for loose stool at times and pumpkins are big, so just go low and slow.  I had a flock of 30 and they could eat a medium pumpkin that had been fermented in 2-3 days so it can take them a bit to get through one.  I'd just let them have one now and again and they really seem to appreciate them more in Jan/Feb.  Then it's been a long time since any good, meaty vegs so they really go hog wild later in the winter for them. 

Benefits are supplemental nutrition that can be grown at home, stored for later and can often be picked up for free after Halloween is done.  The pumpkin seeds are a natural antihelmintic so that's a bonus.  Pumpkins are chock full of vitamins, so you can't really go wrong there. 

Thanks, Bee. There are always a bunch of pumpkins around here after Halloween that are either smashed by kids of left outside people's homes to rot. Would it be ok to grab a few, chuck them in a barrel and leave them in my unheated shed ? They'll obviously rot, so will it be ok for the chickens to eat them rotted ?

I wouldn't put them in a barrel...spread them out where they aren't touching and let them get air and they will mold less that way. They will drain a lot of fluid as they decompose, so just be aware they will make a mess wherever you place them. Pallets make nice places for pumpkins because the fluids can run out and down, draining away from the gourd.

I am not bee but I went thru my neighborhood and picked up every whole pumpkin I found and friends and coworkers brought me theirs. I filled a pallet up 2 layers full of free pumpkins. I threw a tarp over it and gave them one when I remembered, my girls loved them. Some had some black areas where they started to rot but the girls ignored them.

Just remember those seeds will grow in the spring :). I pulled hundreds of pumpkin plants that started but I did let some grow and got a few pumpkins from them :)
90C6DB4A-9FDB-489A-A1ED-2610499843EE-16187-00000F251B929ACA.jpg

Back
Top Bottom