Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Y'all are a bunch of braggers!!! We're still sitting in the mid-90s. We have a "cold" front coming through at the end of this week though that will put us down into the mid-80s. I might have to pull out a jacket!

LOL We had soo much hot and sooo much humidity - this is so nice. hehe I'll be crying about how cold it is before long... just ignore me. lol

Y'all are a bunch of braggers!!! We're still sitting in the mid-90s. We have a "cold" front coming through at the end of this week though that will put us down into the mid-80s. I might have to pull out a jacket!

I'm in Conroe, so I hear you. We're praying for some of that rain they've been predicting, too!

lol OR an electric blanket.
lau.gif

lol OR an electric blanket. :lau  

RoseMarie, wanna know something crazy? My DH keeps our house so cold inside that even during the blaring heat of summer I sleep with a heating pad... So, y'all don't feel sorry for me. I'm not really griping. I live in Texas for a reason. I LIKE it HOT!!!

Does anyone have any tips for FF while on vacation? I'm going to be gone for at least a week around Christmas, and can't figure out how to automate wet feed.
56638_treadlev20closed.jpg
56638_treadlev20.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/building-a-treadle-chicken-feeder

I've been trying to come up with a way to build one of these for fermented feed. I wouldn't need it to be as tall and I'm thinking I would buy one of those small kitty litter pans (new) to hold the feed. Maybe since it will be cold, put a heating pad under it set on low that doesn't shut off after two hours. Or if you only have a few chickens, put a heated dog water bowl in there if it will hold enough feed.

I will TOTALLY be putting pumpkins out for my chooks this year if I can find them for free. :O I may even put up an ad on CL to see if anyone wants to drop some off. I would honestly hope that they'd grow from the seeds... I am trying to get something, ANYTHING, to grow plant-wise in my chicken's run. If I get pumpkins growing there all the better for all of us. :3 I'd love to get lots of pumpkin out of my chicken run every year, and the chickens may do their damage but they will keep the squirrels off of them too!

Also I JUST started adding alfalfa to my FF last night. XD I have a bunch of cubes leftover from my rabbits. The broke down in the liquid overnight.

My CX's feathers are so shiny they reflect and glow silver in the light. I'm really happy.

Your chickens are so pretty, can't really tell they are meaties, other than their build ofc. Their feathers look great! Mine are just a week old, and little chow hounds. At what age do I go down to just 3 feedings. Or should I say when do I stop free feed. I basically give them 3 feedings now, but there is enough there to last them almost to the next feeding. Hopefully if it doesn't down pour Thursday and Friday, they will be going out for their first forage experience.

This is my first time with meaties, they are getting ff only. Its a little different from raising layers. I just don't want them to stuff themselves silly and keel over. I want them healthy.

Deb

Does anyone have any tips for FF while on vacation? I'm going to be gone for at least a week around Christmas, and can't figure out how to automate wet feed.

If it won't freeze on you, you can just put out enough to last a week and leave it at that. It will be just fine. If it's in danger of freezing, you could just feed dry for the week and forget about the FF.

Back
Top Bottom