Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

So I have a mold problem.  Not with my feed the FF is going really well but under my buckets.  I keep mine in the green house and have concrete floors.  I do the double buckets system and have two set up.  I guess I am to messy but water got under the buckets and mold is growing on the concrete.  I cleaned it all up but want to prevent it from happening again.  I think I may set the bucets on bricks?!?!?  Anyone else have this problem or am I just too messy with the water.

As an aside my nephew who was living with me briefly after getting out of the service moved out a few months ago.  He came over yesterday and asked what was going on with the chickens.  He said "they look so plump and healthy.  They kinda shine too."  Made me feel good cause I know its the feed change.

I was at Lowes a few months ago and picked up an outdoor floor mat, it has a rubber back. This way I know my floors won't have any moisture sitting on them. Works well. It's just 2x3 I think, but they have bigger ones. Mine has a flower design on the visible side.

Last edited:
I was at Lowes a few months ago and picked up an outdoor floor mat, it has a rubber back. This way I know my floors won't have any moisture sitting on them. Works well. It's just 2x3 I think, but they have bigger ones. Mine has a flower design on the visible side.
I have mine sitting in the hallway where my washer and dryer are, I put a towel down because I have wood floors. so far no problems but once my 2nd bucket wasn't draining well and the liquid came out all over the floor sopped the towel and I had a mess.I am much more careful now.

I finally started some today. I don't have UP/ACV so I will pick some up the next time I go into town. (Hubby has been stopping for groceries on his way home from work to save on gas money but he sometimes comes home with some interesting things even though I give VERY detailed lists. LOL) So I added regular ACV and figure it will take a bit longer to start.

I do have a question: what do you use to cut your protein with? Currently I have 22% layer and 13% 9 way scratch. This will up the 22% to 34 and the 9 way to 25%. Should I cut it with just plain wheat or corn. I tried finding the answer but didn't read through all of the 4000+ replies. Thanks.

I finally started some today. I don't have UP/ACV so I will pick some up the next time I go into town. (Hubby has been stopping for groceries on his way home from work to save on gas money but he sometimes comes home with some interesting things even though I give VERY detailed lists. LOL) So I added regular ACV and figure it will take a bit longer to start. I do have a question: what do you use to cut your protein with? Currently I have 22% layer and 13% 9 way scratch. This will up the 22% to 34 and the 9 way to 25%. Should I cut it with just plain wheat or corn. I tried finding the answer but didn't read through all of the 4000+ replies. Thanks.
I have no idea, I just mix Layer/all flock scratch and whole oats all together add the warm water ACV and let it do it's thing. I'm sure someone has it all broken down though. I mix 3 cups each or the layer/flockraiser then added 4 cups 7 way scratch and 3 cups whole oats. put it into a 5 gal. bucket use my hand to mix it all up then add the liquid.stir it up cover with the lid that has holes drilled in it. So far everyone is doing great, eggs are being laid and no shell problems. My second bucket I only have a towel draped over top couldn't find the lid.

I finally started some today. I don't have UP/ACV so I will pick some up the next time I go into town. (Hubby has been stopping for groceries on his way home from work to save on gas money but he sometimes comes home with some interesting things even though I give VERY detailed lists. LOL) So I added regular ACV and figure it will take a bit longer to start. I do have a question: what do you use to cut your protein with? Currently I have 22% layer and 13% 9 way scratch. This will up the 22% to 34 and the 9 way to 25%. Should I cut it with just plain wheat or corn. I tried finding the answer but didn't read through all of the 4000+ replies. Thanks.

If you use equal amounts of your ingredients you'll have

layer at 22%
plus scratch at 13%
for a total of 35%
divided by 2
17.5%

Last edited:
Add the percentages, and then divide by parts.

If you have 2 parts of A at 22%
1 part of B at 16%
and 3 parts of C at 10%

Then - number of parts of each times that percentage.

2 x 22% = 44
1 x 16% = 16
3 x 10% = 30

Add totals. 44 + 16 + 30 = 90

Divide by total number of parts in the mix. Here it's 6. = 15% in the finished mix.

I do have a question: what do you use to cut your protein with? Currently I have 22% layer and 13% 9 way scratch. This will up the 22% to 34 and the 9 way to 25%. Should I cut it with just plain wheat or corn. I tried finding the answer but didn't read through all of the 4000+ replies. Thanks.

Hi,

I am very confused about how you're figuring your protein content...You say above that by fermenting you will raise the protein content from 22% to 34%. My understanding is that by fermenting you can increase the protein content by 12% (OF the original protein content), so that would be 12% of the original 22% as I read it, not an additional 12%. So that would work out to an increase of the 22% layer by around 3%, or up to 25%, not the 34% you mentioned.

I am also surprised your scratch is that high in protein. I've seen scratch here that is closed to 7-8% protein. I wonder what exactly the 9 ingredients are to get that much protein in scratch.

I am hoping Beekissed or someone else can please clarify this point.

Add the percentages, and then divide by parts.

If you have 2 parts of A at 22%
1 part of B at 16%
and 3 parts of C at 10%

Then - number of parts of each times that percentage.

2 x 22% = 44
1 x 16% = 16
3 x 10% = 30

Add totals. 44 + 16 + 30 = 90

Divide by total number of parts in the mix. Here it's 6. = 15% in the finished mix.

You're right... guess it serves me right for feeling smart for about 5 minutes. Oh well. I was close though.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom