Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Too much molasses can be bad, however, in the ferment, most of the molasses stays behind in the bucket. Molasses is used as a flush for some chicken maladies and a little bit on a regular basis is a good thing in my opinion. Works as a flush for toxins on a regular basis. I used to feed wet COB all the time. I don't anymore because I'm fairly certain that the grains used are GMO grains and I want none of it in my birds. I've gone to whole grains with protein supplements.

Too much molasses can be bad, however, in the ferment, most of the molasses stays behind in the bucket. Molasses is used as a flush for some chicken maladies and a little bit on a regular basis is a good thing in my opinion. Works as a flush for toxins on a regular basis. I used to feed wet COB all the time. I don't anymore because I'm fairly certain that the grains used are GMO grains and I want none of it in my birds. I've gone to whole grains with protein supplements.
Molasses is sugar, fermenting it long enough you'll have molasses beer, then the probiotics give you lactic acid which is what you want. I don't think fermenting for 24 hours would be enough time for lots of molasses but should take care of most of it that was added to feed by the millers. I think in the process of making rum they ferment the molasses for two weeks. Fermenting the molasses also depends on how much yeast/mother you have going in your fermenter. I can get molasses right from the sugar cane mill which they sell for livestock and add it to my ferment to kick it up as I am fermenting for 3 and 4 days. I don't think I would add more than a few ounces. When I give it a try I will post back what happens in my fermenters and what it looks like at the end of 3 or 4 days.

Well... When I used to condition my birds for showing and wanted feathers to grow in lush, I fed rusk-ed bread soaked in water drained off and then soaked in milk. Not too soggy. Milk and whole wheat bread is an old trick for good feathered exhibition birds from way back. It works for my birds. Fat or BOSS is good for shine. You could feed your birds everything in the pantry and they will eat it but you don't need to put that much effort or $ into the feed pan. Just a few additional quality ingredients regularly.

Rusk-ed bread? It' an old timey term I guess. Oven dried bread. Like Melba toast. Like hard bisquits. Unbuttered. Unsalted. Just good thick slices of quality whole grain whole wheat. Nothing fancy. And whole milk or buttermilk. As much as the rusk-ed bread will take up. No slops.

edited to add: I don't feed this before birds go to roost for the night. It could cause sour crop.

I am going to go to the store and get some "Ezekiel Bread" to do this with, and buttermilk. When you wanted to condition your birds for showing, you would feed this, how far ahead of the show did you do this?

I don't know what it is with my birds, but no matter what I feed them, be it commercial rations or even whole grains, their primary feathers always look ratty. I have no idea why. I am planning to go to a show on the 25th of this month, and I'm wondering if feeding this feather conditioner will make any difference in this amount of time?

I am going to go to the store and get some "Ezekiel Bread" to do this with, and buttermilk. When you wanted to condition your birds for showing, you would feed this, how far ahead of the show did you do this?

I don't know what it is with my birds, but no matter what I feed them, be it commercial rations or even whole grains, their primary feathers always look ratty. I have no idea why. I am planning to go to a show on the 25th of this month, and I'm wondering if feeding this feather conditioner will make any difference in this amount of time?
I would start feeding my birds for feather growth at moult for older birds and a couple months before the show. Feeding won't change the condition of feathers. It will help aid healthy lush growth to those coming in.

Molasses is sugar, fermenting it long enough you'll have molasses beer, then the probiotics give you lactic acid which is what you want. I don't think fermenting for 24 hours would be enough time for lots of molasses but should take care of most of it that was added to feed by the millers. I think in the process of making rum they ferment the molasses for two weeks. Fermenting the molasses also depends on how much yeast/mother you have going in your fermenter. I can get molasses right from the sugar cane mill which they sell for livestock and add it to my ferment to kick it up as I am fermenting for 3 and 4 days. I don't think I would add more than a few ounces. When I give it a try I will post back what happens in my fermenters and what it looks like at the end of 3 or 4 days.

Thanks. I'll be waiting for the results

Too much molasses can be bad, however, in the ferment, most of the molasses stays behind in the bucket.  Molasses is used as a flush for some chicken maladies and a little bit on a regular basis is a good thing in my opinion. Works as a flush for toxins on a regular basis.  I used to feed wet COB all the time.  I don't anymore because I'm fairly certain that the grains used are GMO grains and I want none of it in my birds.  I've gone to whole grains with protein supplements. 

Thank you too Lacy Blues.

Thanks for the info about molasses Lacy and Art. Now I remember the warning about too much, and what issue it can cause.

I agree, most of the molasses stays in my ferment liquid. As I mentioned, I'm only using wet Cob as 20-25% of my mix, so I am not sure if that's considered too much molasses or not. I don't have.have never had any issues with loose stools/diarrhea, even in my Quail which tear thru a lot of FF, considering their size (and who of course do not free range). They never get it as a treat, only in the FF which softens it for them... I may cut back a little on feeding it as a treat to everybody all the time tho. It's just been an easy choice for a treat because I always have it on hand for my horses and goats, plus the Guineas and Turkeys love it.

As far as getting away from GMO... not gonna happen for my animals any time soon. I wish. I'm pretty isolated where I am, and buy all my feed from 2 local feed stores that get their feeds from 2 somewhat local feed mills. Driving longer distances to get as much feed (non GMO) as I go thru just isn't an option in my budget. One company did just start making organic layer and chick feeds... but I don't see anything praising it about being made with non GMO grains anywhere on the bags or labels.

Anyone know if too much molasses can cause any nutrient deficiencies or anything bad like that?

My first batch bubbling nicely. The ladies are loving it :)

Back
Top Bottom