Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

If I got CX's, without fermented feed, and only supplemented with limited regular feed, could they free range? Or should I get some black broilers, red broilers, or Cornish(standard) bantams?
You can free range CX if you feed fermented, but don't overfeed. They will find their own as well.

Bee has a wonderful video in here of her CX' free ranging. It's a sight for sore eyes!

Hello Sally,
Glad you made it over..

As far as cornish and free ranging..yes you can free range as long as you start at a pretty young age. They do very well and look/act like different birds.

Hello Sally,
Glad you made it over..

As far as cornish and free ranging..yes you can free range as long as you start at a pretty young age. They do very well and look/act like different birds.
I bet the meat is much better as well if free ranged.
smile.png

Quote:
As long as there is bubbling, it is good to go.

I know that on these cold days when I have added new grains that I take my bucket and put it next to the wood stove so that the heat kick starts the fermenting process. The FF grows a muffin top that I just stir the mixture so it goes back down. I can def see the bubbles after a few hours.
I am sure you could put your bucket next to a heater duct to get the same effect.

My bucket is normally in the kitchen which is the coolest room of the house. So a little extra heat jump starts the process

I am so glad I found this thread! I'm not even close to finished reading all of it...that will give me something to do on these dark, subzero evenings...

I've been feeding fermented feed since October and I just love it! It makes me feel like I'm pampering my chickens, and I love to make over my "pets".
I use crack, er I mean "scratch", gamebird chow, U-ACV as the standard. I switch out adding (right before I feed it) raisins, tumeric, cinnamon,multi-grain hot cereal, grapes, apples, hard boiled eggs just to spice it up a bit. I always have layer feed free choice for the big girls, flock raiser free choice for the non-layers/roosters and chick starter free choice for the kidlets.

I just started a batch using chick starter. I apologize if this has already been covered, but when is it okay to start the chickies on FF? I have a group that are 10 days old right now and I hope to start them ASAP.

Thanks for all the info...and if you see anything amiss in my recipe, PLEASE let me know (I'm impossible to offend
wee.gif
)

I am so glad I found this thread! I'm not even close to finished reading all of it...that will give me something to do on these dark, subzero evenings...

I've been feeding fermented feed since October and I just love it! It makes me feel like I'm pampering my chickens, and I love to make over my "pets".
I use crack, er I mean "scratch", gamebird chow, U-ACV as the standard. I switch out adding (right before I feed it) raisins, tumeric, cinnamon,multi-grain hot cereal, grapes, apples, hard boiled eggs just to spice it up a bit. I always have layer feed free choice for the big girls, flock raiser free choice for the non-layers/roosters and chick starter free choice for the kidlets.

I just started a batch using chick starter. I apologize if this has already been covered, but when is it okay to start the chickies on FF? I have a group that are 10 days old right now and I hope to start them ASAP.

Thanks for all the info...and if you see anything amiss in my recipe, PLEASE let me know (I'm impossible to offend
wee.gif
)
I start them on FF from day 1. :)

It usually takes them a couple of days to start eating it like it's the best thing in the world.

Quote:
As long as there is bubbling, it is good to go.

I know that on these cold days when I have added new grains that I take my bucket and put it next to the wood stove so that the heat kick starts the fermenting process. The FF grows a muffin top that I just stir the mixture so it goes back down. I can def see the bubbles after a few hours.
I am sure you could put your bucket next to a heater duct to get the same effect.

My bucket is normally in the kitchen which is the coolest room of the house. So a little extra heat jump starts the process
I have a coal stove, I was thinking about that, but I am sorta messy with the FF lol I need one of those black rubber mats or something!!

Back
Top Bottom