Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Has anyone here used other products for the live cultures? I've used Western Yeast cultures and it's dry but has that yeasty scent to it.

http://www.westernyeast.com/wywhatis.htm

It's mixed with the feed and gives them the same sort of active cultures as the fermented, wet feed. I'm thinking of doing some of both, continue adding the top dressing of the yeast with the dry for them to nibble but also trying some cracked corn that has been fermented so they're getting enough hydration in the winter.

The yeast cultures are grown on cornmeal looking stuff then dried to keep the cultures active and alive, I'm thinking I'll just add a cup of this to my bucket of corn and water for fermenting. There may be some good baterial cultures in the yeast that I wouldn't get from just fermenting.

I decided to do something about having to use bakers yeast for my fermenters. I have taken natural raw milk yogurt and used it to make a starter for ending up with lactic acid in the fermented feed. Today my first mash at 3 days old was really looking good, nice mother and lots of bubbles. I have all of my fermenters using the same starter which all have bubbles already (no bakers yeast). I will begin to add my molasses mix to them maybe next week as I want to give all my fermenters a good start so I have a lot of left over liquids to act as starter from the next batch in each of the fermenters. Here is what it looked like this morning. Having moved the fermenter to take the photo the huge bubbles popped but there were still many bubbles in the mother.
yesss.gif

I'm guessing you can use any natural unsweetened yogurt as long as it has the live cultures to give you the starter you need for the lactic acid. I make 6 liters of raw milk yogurt each week, people, cats dogs and chickens love the stuff. It cost me about $3.00 for all that yogurt so using it to help with probiotics for all the animals is good all around.
old.gif

Western yeast isn't just a bakers yeast, It has enzymes, lactic ferments, unidentified factors, B vitamins and live enzyme-bearing yeast cells. I'm sure most of this should be developed by the fermenting process. I like that sometimes, when I don't have the time or don't have fermented feed ready, this can be mixed into the crumbles on the side.
I just started a small bowl of cracked corn and one with crumbles and added the yeast to see if the fermentation is any faster than just the ACV

How long is fermented feed good for until it 'goes bad'? Is there a limit?

Would I be able to make a 5 gallon bucket full and keeping it covered, be able to almost indefinitely have a 'base' for the fermented feed but just adding more feed and water as it gets low?

Thank you.
I don't think there is a limit.I had an old bucket of it that had 1 scoop in it and they were fighting over it.This was fermented dog food.Two of the dogs are Labs who eat anything, the other is a half hound who does get picky but loves the fermented food I use the double bucket so there is fluid left over for the new batch. for the birds I use scratch grains and make sure oyster shells are out there for them.

Does anyone have experience feeding any type of fermented feed in cold weather? Cold enough weather that it is below freezing during the day as well as at night?

And do I understand correctly that a lot of you ferment formulated feed like pellets? Could mash be fermented?

Back
Top Bottom