Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

So, i've been reading a very interesting series of articles about formulating your own poultry rations, and this one: http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Feeding-Rebuttal.html said that barley and oats, by themselves or in combination, should not make up more than 20% of your feed because they will result in incomplete digestion and runny poops. I was wondering if anyone wanted to weigh on this? My thought was it might be fine in a fermented ration, because of the "predigestion" involved. My current feed "recipe" uses barley and oats because they are higher protien grains. they make up probably 40% of my feed in combination, because they are available, high protien, and ferment easier than the harder shelled wheat (I feed wheat in my fodder ration instead). I would love some discussion and opinions? Do you think that the ferment makes the nutrients available enough to avoid incomplete digestion? I think I will continue to observe for a while before making any major changes give their guts at least a month to acclimate. Of course in the summer it shouldn't matter much, since the grains will make up a very small portion of their free ranging diet, thus, although oats and barly make up 40% of the grain feed, grain feed will be less than half their total diet, and thus total consumption of oats and barley should be well under the reccomended 20%. But it is a concern for winter when I will have to feed a more grain heavy ration due to the abscence of good forage. The last thing I want to do is accidentally make my chickens sick in an uneducated attempt at making them (and us) more healthy.
barnie.gif

So, i've been reading a very interesting series of articles about formulating your own poultry rations, and this one: http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Feeding-Rebuttal.html said that barley and oats, by themselves or in combination, should not make up more than 20% of your feed because they will result in incomplete digestion and runny poops. I was wondering if anyone wanted to weigh on this? My thought was it might be fine in a fermented ration, because of the "predigestion" involved. My current feed "recipe" uses barley and oats because they are higher protien grains. they make up probably 40% of my feed in combination, because they are available, high protien, and ferment easier than the harder shelled wheat (I feed wheat in my fodder ration instead). I would love some discussion and opinions? Do you think that the ferment makes the nutrients available enough to avoid incomplete digestion? I think I will continue to observe for a while before making any major changes give their guts at least a month to acclimate. Of course in the summer it shouldn't matter much, since the grains will make up a very small portion of their free ranging diet, thus, although oats and barly make up 40% of the grain feed, grain feed will be less than half their total diet, and thus total consumption of oats and barley should be well under the reccomended 20%. But it is a concern for winter when I will have to feed a more grain heavy ration due to the abscence of good forage. The last thing I want to do is accidentally make my chickens sick in an uneducated attempt at making them (and us) more healthy.
barnie.gif

I don't know, I haven't seen any evidence of runny poops on my birds, and I use a fair amount of oats and barley in my ration too. I also use BOSS and alfalfa pellets. I have been feeding this mixture for about three months now, I think? Mabye more. I had been using white millet, but I noticed it seemed to be passing through undigested part of the time, so I switched to the barley.

barnie.gif
I as well have not seen runny pop. Mine (chickens) have been very consistent. Their FF dose change a little depending on what I have. The sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, flax seeds and the other seeds are usually given with their corn scratch or sprinkled on their FF before I give it to them. My girls get a lot of variety in their food.
they get a lot of fresh (or not so fresh day old leftovers) from my garden, they clean bones, devour left over chopped up meats. Full portions in the morning about 2 hrs before bed time I refresh their feed if it is all gone. It depends on how much the forage for weeds and bugs (organic of course).
. It is hard to tell them to hold still when they are eating. The mash usually is bubbling in the dish before I pure it over their greens. My 8 girls will eat all of that plus in an average day.

Last edited:
I haven't been commenting on the thread lately so there are lots of new folks here! Good to see everyone!

As there is so much confusion regarding fermenting feed, I wanted to post a link to some short articles that I hope will be helpful. This is a 3 part series and all of them are posted - and all of them are pretty short, easy reading. Worth reading if you want to have a basic understanding of fermenting and why lactic fermentation is so good for chicken feed. Anyway, if anyone is interested, part 1 of the the series is: Fermenting Feed Series

If I happen to let my FF strain too long and it gets dry, I add a bit of milk. Bee mentioned about calcium probably being good for them, and I agree. Or I add the left over water from green veggies that I cook in a bit of water - they eat it right up!
i add sprout water i drain off and fresh sliced cabbage that i run through the food processer. never use kraut to much salt

Back
Top Bottom