Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Mother just refers to a collection of bacteria/yeasts and one can have it on the fermented feed, no matter what method was used to establish cultures. The ACV mother isn't a large presence for long as it is soon outnumbered by the increasing lactobacilli...it's still present but in lesser numbers. That film you see is just a mixture of both and is no bad thing...it can be stirred back into the mix without any harmful effects.

Flax is 10% of my homemade ration - 1 cup for every 9 cups of other grains. That and split peas are my main protein sources.

Thank you very much for your response. I was reading some pros and cons of feeding flax: meal versus seeds, too much causing the eggs to taste fishy, the "slimminess" of it causing something similar to pasty butt, etc. Have you had any problem with pasty butt while using it? I sure don't want that. I hate having to deal with that stuff. I know the "healthfood" and natural health people highly recommend flax. If it is that good for people it has to have some benefits for animals too. I didn't want a 50 ib bag because I was afraid it would go bad or lose its full potency before I could use it all so my feed store owner sold me 25 ibs for $15. I'm going to add some to up my protein a little and add all the benefits of using it. Thanks again for responding.

I'm formulating a new homemade feed, but I'm not sure if it can be fermented. The protein source in the feed will be dehydrated beef liver. Can small pieces of meat go into the FF?

The feed would be
50 lbs wheat
50 lbs oats
8 lbs dried liver
1/2 lb trace mineral salt

I know most commercial feed uses fish meal or bone meal, and this shouldn't be *that* different. I guess another option would be to puree fresh liver and mix it into the fermented grains before feeding.

I have read where everyone says that fermenting feed with meat in it really stinks. I haven't tried it but I'll take their word for it. Well where I use to work now and then a small piece of raw liver would get hung up in a hidden place on a piece of machinery and within the next day or two it was totally unbearable! We'd have to stop work and find that little chunk of liver. lol I can only imagine fermented liver! Yuck! lol ...BUT on the other hand, chickens would probably love it.

Thank you very much for your response. I was reading some pros and cons of feeding flax: meal versus seeds, too much causing the eggs to taste fishy, the "slimminess" of it causing something similar to pasty butt, etc. Have you had any problem with pasty butt while using it? I sure don't want that. I hate having to deal with that stuff. I know the "healthfood" and natural health people highly recommend flax. If it is that good for people it has to have some benefits for animals too. I didn't want a 50 ib bag because I was afraid it would go bad or lose its full potency before I could use it all so my feed store owner sold me 25 ibs for $15. I'm going to add some to up my protein a little and add all the benefits of using it. Thanks again for responding.

No pasty butt so far, but I didn't give them flax when they were super little - I waited until they were a few weeks old. I bought a 25 lb bag, you shouldn't have to worry about rancidity as long as they aren't crushed or ground.

I've only done the CX and I love, love, love their foraging skills and drive! Nothing forages better than a chronically hungry bird!
lol.png
They all sorta taste like......chicken.

Bee - at what age do you start to restrict their FF intake?

My intent with my last batch of broilers was to allow them to forage for more of their food. They turned out lazier than any previous batch despite being able to forage earlier (about 18 days). I could not ween them off their FF. Maybe I'm just too soft when I go out there and see them so hungry.

It will probably work better this time as I have a broody hen to foster them.

No pasty butt so far, but I didn't give them flax when they were super little - I waited until they were a few weeks old. I bought a 25 lb bag, you shouldn't have to worry about rancidity as long as they aren't crushed or ground.

No pasty butt is good to hear. Yeah I have some that are about 17 weeks old and some that are 3 weeks old. I was going to start out slow feeding it to the older birds but wait until the others are at least a couple months old, probably older. I've got some Australorp roosters that are about ready for the freezer. Some of my 3 week olds are Delawares and Buckeyes. I plan on playing around with Australorps, Speckled Sussex, Delawares and Buckeyes and see what kind of decent laying/meat bird I can get. The Delawares are pretty impressive so far. They look like little fat footballs with legs and a head. lol

Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom