Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

For folks doing FF, the acv in the water is no longer necessary...the organisms in the FF are performing the same benefit as the ACV , so the only reason one would need it at that point is to keep the water fresher.

That's about how old my Great Aunt is, they also were/are Catholic and their parents were Polish immigrants. So, living where they did, they weren't as excepted as they would have been if they had been a little bit further South. Literally 20 miles South of the farm there is a much larger Catholic and Polish population. Anyway, on top of being poor like everyone else in the area, they were "socially" poor as well. Makes for some "interesting" stories, that's for sure lol. Not to mention learning about the alternate uses for some stuff, or home remedies and it's great just how many work!. 

My ancestors came from Scotland and Wales. Like yours they had a lot of home remedies and preventative treatments - roots, herbs, barks, etc. They made cough drops out of coal oil (kerosene) and sugar. They also soaked cuts and that sort of thing in coal oil. Mom said every spring they were given cod liver oil and a powder called black drauth. She said a lot of people took something called "hadical" that was supposed to give them energy. She says she doesn't ever remember going to a doctor until after she was married. Mom's dad and other men of the family carried on the tradition of fox hunting and every household had plenty of foxhounds running loose around the yard. She said they never bothered the chickens. I'm sure there were no predator problems with all those dogs around.
My boyfriend grew up a lot like my mom did. He talks about a lot of their home remedies and preventions too. He was given the coal oil/sugar cough drops too. He grew up around farming and livestock of all kinds. One of his uncles had a huge chicken outfit. He tells about the community hog killing days, canning, etc. I wish somebody had recorded all of that old information.

I think these wise older (in chicken experience) folks on here are already onto the ACV...I want to do that myself for sure...I just began my chicken journey. but tell me about turmeric... what does it purportedly do -how does it make them gain weight and how much do you use? I know turmeric is great for humans and can even lower the free radicals generated by bbqing meats when used as a rub. I get turmeric super cheap at the Indian markets near me so I'm ready to mix it into the feed for any good reason.

Just a thought, does anyone notice a flavor difference in the birds when they feed them different potent spices or garlic? I know that can carry over to the eggs, but how about the meat...kinda like the idea of preseasoning.

As for he great older generations who went through poverty and actually experienced farm life...I swear I identify with and like that generation much more than my own. People back then seemed to develop charachter and understand what was important. These days, people my age are hell bent on wasting their lives pursuing wealth, getting attention and drinking /doing drugs. I swear, I don't get it.

I love tumeric. The first think I thought was I wonder if it will flavor the chicken! lol I made some broth a few days ago from some of the meat (mostly bones) from some roosters I just killed. I put in lots of onion, tumeric, cayenne pepper, cilantro and parsley. It was good!

I agree about the older generation. They are a golden treasure!

Well I just made a 50 lb bag of later pellet mash. Did not do this by choice but by a big blunder. We had a rain spell the other day that would not stop. I left the lid up on the storage container and it was full of water. I'm to cheap to toss 50 lbs of feed so mash it is.

My ancestors came from Scotland and Wales. Like yours they had a lot of home remedies and preventative treatments - roots, herbs, barks, etc. They made cough drops out of coal oil (kerosene) and sugar. They also soaked cuts and that sort of thing in coal oil. Mom said every spring they were given cod liver oil and a powder called black drauth. She said a lot of people took something called "hadical" that was supposed to give them energy. She says she doesn't ever remember going to a doctor until after she was married. Mom's dad and other men of the family carried on the tradition of fox hunting and every household had plenty of foxhounds running loose around the yard. She said they never bothered the chickens. I'm sure there were no predator problems with all those dogs around.
My boyfriend grew up a lot like my mom did. He talks about a lot of their home remedies and preventions too. He was given the coal oil/sugar cough drops too. He grew up around farming and livestock of all kinds. One of his uncles had a huge chicken outfit. He tells about the community hog killing days, canning, etc. I wish somebody had recorded all of that old information.
I have it recorded in my head. I lived it.

I think these wise older (in chicken experience) folks on here are already onto the ACV...I want to do that myself for sure...I just began my chicken journey. but tell me about turmeric... what does it purportedly do -how does it make them gain weight and how much do you use? I know turmeric is great for humans and can even lower the free radicals generated by bbqing meats when used as a rub. I get turmeric super cheap at the Indian markets near me so I'm ready to mix it into the feed for any good reason.

Just a thought, does anyone notice a flavor difference in the birds when they feed them different potent spices or garlic? I know that can carry over to the eggs, but how about the meat...kinda like the idea of preseasoning.

As for he great older generations who went through poverty and actually experienced farm life...I swear I identify with and like that generation much more than my own. People back then seemed to develop charachter and understand what was important. These days, people my age are hell bent on wasting their lives pursuing wealth, getting attention and drinking /doing drugs. I swear, I don't get it.

I use garlic and other fresh herbs a lot for the hens. None of my eggs have ever had a garlic or herb taste. And I use a decent amount

I have it recorded in my head. I lived it.
Have you been working with anyone in your family to make a readable or literally recorded out loud sort of record? You all went through some amazing things. Wish I would have been more aware of how much we'd lose when my grandfather died. Now that I'm older, the list of things I wish I knew about how he grew up just gets longer. My grandmother is still alive, but her mind isn't what it used to be. So all that is lost.
JMO
-Aleta G.

Well I just made a 50 lb bag of later pellet mash. Did not do this by choice but by a big blunder. We had a rain spell the other day that would not stop. I left the lid up on the storage container and it was full of water. I'm to cheap to toss 50 lbs of feed so mash it is.

It has rained so much here! I bet we have had AT LEAST 10 inches of rain just in August! The chicken's run is just mud. I went to Lowes today and got pine bark NUGGETS! It has helped a lot but I need about 3-4 more bags. I've got small birds that need badly to go outside but I hate to put them out there. It is so humid, staying in the upper 90%. This is the first August anybody has ever seen like this around here.

Back
Top Bottom