Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Ooops! lol

I was going to say - It makes me wonder how we went so fast from generations of such incredibly strong and wise people to a generation of materialistic weaklings.

Hi Triple Willow.. Thanks for the reply. Mine usually don't have runny poo at all but it seems since I started them on FF a couple days ago that their stool is much runnier. I'm wondering if its because the FF is so moist/wet whereas before I was only feeding them dry feed.

Yes you're right, it is probably because of the extra water they are taking in. They should adjust to it in a short time. You will be really glad you started feeding it to them. Mine are so pretty, like big fluffballs.

Is it normal for chickens on FF to have runny stool after only being fed the FF for a day or two ?

I agree with the summation that during the hot weather it is common for more urine to be excreted due to the birds drinking more fluids. Now, put on top of that the extra fluids in the feeds they are eating and they have more fluid consumption than normal. It also depends on how soupy your feed mix is also, as they have to eat more fluid just to get to the feed, so you can try a dryer mix if you aren't already and it can help a little.

My birds went through some messy butts during the hottest weather this summer...about half the flock, but some did not. Now that is over and will probably come around again during the hot weather next year also. Every year about this time I have a few hens that have more liquid in their stool resulting in messy butt feathers but it normally passes before too long.

Here's a couple of vids of the process of replenishing the feed in a FF bucket system and at what consistency I generally feed the FF. I apologize for the amateur video...I'm none too good at public speaking or video media. The Ol' Bat makes her first film debut as she assists me in the first vid and in the background of both you can hear Toby's ongoing commentary about his thoughts on the FF, the nature of the taste and all the benefits his flock has derived from its usage. That's a loose translation and paraphrase but you get the gist....
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the videos Bee.

Has anybody ever seen a Columbian Rock/Black Australorp cross? I wonder what that would look like and how it would perform.

I agree with the summation that during the hot weather it is common for more urine to be excreted due to the birds drinking more fluids.  Now, put on top of that the extra fluids in the feeds they are eating and they have more fluid consumption than normal.  It also depends on how soupy your feed mix is also, as they have to eat more fluid just to get to the feed, so you can try a dryer mix if you aren't already and it can help a little. 

My birds went through some messy butts during the hottest weather this summer...about half the flock, but some did not.  Now that is over and will probably come around again during the hot weather next year also.  Every year about this time I have a few hens that have more liquid in their stool resulting in messy butt feathers but it normally passes before too long. 

That sounds about right, Bee. The last couple of days have been quite warm here on top of the fact that in addition to their water they are eating moist FF... I'm betting in a day or two their stools will be back to normal, only better than before :)

Living in Arizona, I can tell you that the heat significantly affects hoow liquidy their stools are. We get periods of drastically differently temperatures and I can tell you if I will find well formed stools or not. Mine drink ridiculous amounts of water and frequently have completely liquid expulsions. During average weather, with average daily temperatures being below 100°, they have the best stools.

Back
Top Bottom